New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which scope for my .17 HMR?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I currently have a Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II mounted on my Ruger 77/17 HMR all weather rifle. I am interested to hear what other scopes folks are using with this caliber. In your opinion is the 3x9 enough for this gun or should I consider going to a higher maginification scope?

Thanks!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Sendaro>
posted
The problem with most scopes on shot range rifles is that they don't have an AO that will go down to 25 yards. I would suggest that you look into a Beeman 4X-12X air gun scope. It should be as much scope as your rifle could ever use in the field, and it is AO correctable to 5 meters. Thay are great scopes for any field rifle. Don't let the part about being an air gun scope fool you they are tough scopes that can take all the recoil your can stand.

one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
I have a Simmons 3X9 on my 17V and it works just fine.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent results on my 17's and 20 cal. rifles with refurbished Simmons ATV's at 4X 14-AO. They retail at approx $149 at Wal-Mart. When you purchase two at a time Natchez Shooter's supply will sell them at $60 ea. I don't shoot in low light and they work fine for me.

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya,
Do you have the URL for Natchez Shooter's supply handy?

Never Mind - http://www.natchezss.com/

[ 10-21-2002, 15:04: Message edited by: amosgreg ]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
check out this site for a good scope at a decent price....http://www.ultout.com/millettsights-optics.htm

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We used a red dot setup one the in africa for night shooting. It worked just fine. I think however I would want something in a 2.5 or 3 with a lighted reticle. Obviously the wider the objective the better. Anything more than this is probably wasted money. I did see someone has a scope with a built in drop configuration that goes out to 300 yards. That is a long way for such a light bullet, particulary in low or no light.
You might want to check out CDNN as they often have clearances on scopes.

[ 10-22-2002, 04:25: Message edited by: Mike Smith ]

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote