THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Went out today for a couple of squirrels

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went out today for a couple of squirrels
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I went out to a friend's ranch to shoot some groups and pot a few ground squirrels.
Here's what the central California hills look like in May. It's hard to believe that it was green and lush last month.

Here's the private range I was shooting on. The dark bushes in the middle of the picture are where the target frames are, 400 yards away. I was shooting ground squirrels on the hills to right and left with my 22.250 while the 6.5 x284 was cooling down between groups. So, I only shot about half a dozen

Here's the first (and best) group I shot at 400 yards, The wind was blowing from 10-14 mph down the valley and left to right so there's a little horizontal stringing.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FJOLD
I can't take it any more!
Who is she and is she single?
Eeker

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
LOL, I just found her on the net, years ago.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold: Frank, to heck with the "bouncing booby" for now, tell me about your amazing Rifle in 6.5/284!
You can find bossomy bimboes anywhere but a Rifle that will shoot a 2.736" group at 400 yards in a heavy wind is a rare and precious item!
Good for you and your Rifle!
Any particulars on the 6.5 and its scope would be appreciated!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The gun is a left handed Montana Rifle Co. short action with a 26" #5 Krieger SS barrel in an Accurate Innovations Varminter stock. I had the action trued by Leroy Johnson here in Bakersfield and he installed the barrel and set up the trigger for 2 Lb 4 Oz.

The chamber is cut for a .298" diameter neck to fit loaded Lapua brass with the minimum SAAMI body dimensions. The load is a 142 g SMK with 49.4 grains of H4350 and a Federal 210M gold medal match primers. The bullets are loaded to .007 off of the lands at 2978 fps corrected to the muzzle.

The scope is a Weaver V-24 Mildot and the groups were shot at 24X.

The wind was 10-14 mph coming from about 11 o'clock so it wasn't as bad as it reads because of the acute angle. The only problem I had was that it was gusting and never stable for more than a few seconds at a time.

I shot this off of a portable shooting bench and a lightweight Hoppes front rest. We are in the process of installing a concrete shooting table so I'm curious about what I can do with a solid table and my heavy front rest.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
'Twould seem to me that your umbrella in the wind would induce some movement in your bench--might have contributed to that "large" group. Who knows, might have been a respectable 1" 'er without the bumbershoot.

Big Grin

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold: Thanks Frank! I have always "kinda" wanted a 6.5/284! I appreciate you taking the time to fill me in on your Rifle and stir up the "need one" molecules in my brain!
At one time I had the hots for a 6mm/284 but some of my friends had them and barrel life was quite short.
I hear the 6.5/284 is a much more "wallet friendly" choice and as you have shown a proven performer at the longer ranges.
I am also happy to hear that the Montana action has worked out so well for you!
Again great real world shooting there by you and your Rifle!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
'Twould seem to me that your umbrella in the wind would induce some movement in your bench--might have contributed to that "large" group. Who knows, might have been a respectable 1" 'er without the bumbershoot.

Big Grin

You know you might be right. I was getting a lot of movement and couldn't get as stable as I'd of liked to.
I was thinking about buying one of the "Easy-Up" awnings because the sun and heat get so bad here. I'll drop a few hints to Wifezilla about how I need one, she always has trouble buying gifts for me and Father's Day is coming up.

Frank