Notify
Tools

Farel Dogs*** Varmints???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
ConfusedDoes anyone on this forum hunt and shoot feral dogs ? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's been done for ranchers and farmers here, it's usually a 3S job.

(Shoot, shovel and shut up)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no because it be turture

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not formally hunting.....
My uncle's 1st rule on his hunting property is
see a dog = shoot a dog.
His 2nd rule is don't bring your dog then let it loose on his land during hunting season.

More like pest control...
1. Just like Feral cats... city idiots don't understand that you take them TO THE POUND, not just let them go out in the country.

2. They are predators in the woods. Sure, if they survive, they probably live off of rats, frogs, and stuff like that.....

3. They will run deer until they are dead.

I haven't shot one, but I have watched a pack of mongrels chase the heck out of deer... right past me while sitting in a stand. No more deer the whole weekend -- all run off.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I only knew one who formally hunted them. Back it the days when they banned open garbage dumps the dogs who fed on the dumps had to look for other food sources. This fellow had a sheep farm . He killed 80 dogs in one year !!! The biggest dog he killed was hunting him ! The problem here [100 mile from NYC] has been that 'dog lovers' who get tired of their dogs ,bring them out to the country and abandon them ! I have't shot one for a while , I think the coyotes have taken care of them.

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
In Former Yugoslavia there was som many wild dog packs that NATO set up hunting units after them ,a friend of mine has shot ca 250 of them, and all was big,for the small dogs had they eaten up!

and they attacked cattle and kids also ,so they werea menace and to be dealt with

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
While I wouldn't say I've shot a feral dog. I would say I have shot dogs that were chasing cattle. We have several pieces of property that are in very close proximity to some small towns back home. If it was known who the dog belonged to, the owner was contacted via the county sheriff and told if the dog continued to chase cattle the cattle's owner would take leathal measures. And we did! However, I would say that some of these dogs were simply town dogs in that they didn't really belong to anyone in particular but just roamed the town scraping by on what they could find.

I haven't shot a dog in several years now because I'm never really home that much. My dad has taken a different approach now. We have several donkeys that take care of the town dogs. If you're not familiar with donkeys, they become extremely territorial and aggressive. We have a jenny who absolutely hates everything that comes into her pasture with the exception of cattle. We've seen armadillos, opposums, and skunks stomped to death, along with the occasional dog or coyote. Hell she even came after us one day while on horse back. She certainly is a hand-full to deal with but does her job to the T!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HOORAH:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

No that is turture. How dare you shoot a dog and chastise others for shooting cats. Go get a drink you fuck.

What's with the quick derogatory response?

Torture of the dog should be thought of not in the ending of it's life, but in the fact that it has been dropped off to survive without any concern by the previous owner. Starving that animal to death is torture!

Growing up in a rural setting with livestock around we too had issues with strays. Most met a quick end if they were harrassing the stock. Some were called to us and turned over to the county animal control. If the dog's tag indicated an owner and the dog hadn't been reported as lost, stolen, ect. they were investigated for abandonment. Not all animal control people were as dilligent.
I shot one dog that had a collar, in our front yard. I called the sheriff out. He took pictures showing the bloody mouth, and of the damage done to our rabbits. He said we were within our right to shoot ANY animal attacking our stock, for any reason. I mentioned seeing these same dogs chasing deer a few weeks earlier, and he said I should have shot them then, and he sent word to the Fish and Game officer as well.

There are times when dogs are as much of a problem as any other pest. I only wish criminals could be dealt with in the same manner. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
quote:
Originally posted by HOORAH:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

No that is turture. How dare you shoot a dog and chastise others for shooting cats. Go get a drink you fuck.

What's with the quick derogatory response?

It's just a young dumb kid, Nate, who wants to use the word fuck to show how manly he is. Maybe if he mellowed out on on some Black Jack he'd have a different point or view. stir hammering pisserson HOOrah. roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
bartsche never had a bad word 'bout crat bashers.
I know he most likely thinks the postings are BS,but enjoyable.
HOORAH,grow some shoulders and join the Men in this discussion.
We are all ears.
Type slow so the Mod can keep up.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Oooops,my bad ,canuck.

I thought Saeed was Mod.
Begpardon , sir.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Back in my teens growing up in Phoenix one winter the local sheep flocks were getting torn up, every one thought that coyotes were doing it. So a bounty was put on Coyotes I think it was ten bucks or somthing. My friends and I tried trapping them with very little luck, and the sheep depridations did not even slow down. So a bunch of us started staking out some of the hardest hit flocks. In one week end five of us shot twenty five feral dogs, that had been stalking and attacking sheep. They were dogs that had been dumped out in the hills and had gone feral. I will shoot any dogs I find out in the boonies. Two of my sons have since been attacked by "stray" dogs when out bow hunting

You cannot always live as you wish, but you must always live as you can

Posts: 14 | Location: SW Kansas 5 miles from the middle of nowhere | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's one a bloke on AHN got recently. Around the 30kg mark I imagine, called up and shot from 30m with a .243.

Posts: 91 | Location: Brisbane, Australia. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The important thing is to make damned sure you're dealing with a feral dog. A few years back, while grouse hunting, I encountered a bow hunter at full draw on my Springer wearing an orange collar and a bell. He claimed he thought the dog was running deer. I'd still be in jail if............. Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a big dingo.

Here is WA state, my nieghnor was a mechanic for Smith Farms, a very large commerical dairy farm, that had emplyees tasked with shooting any dogs that got into the pasture.

I called Mr Moody, animal control officer supervisor in Snohomish County WA, and asked about shooting dogs. He said the law says that you can shoot any dog that is molesting your livestock. That includes chasing them. He warned me that it may be legal to shoot your neighbor's dog, but you will never get along with that neighbor again if he finds out.

There is a corilary to the "Don't tell'em you shot their dog" rule, and that is "Don't ever complain about a dog."
The reason for this is that a dog that makes trouble on your land will do the same elsewhere. That dog will soon be shot. No sense getting blamed for it.

One old guy who was 80 in 1987, must be dead by now, told me that he had killed over 250 dogs. He would walk his trap line every morning and often caught a dog in a leg trap. He would try to turn the dog loose, but if it growled, he would bust it over the head with a stick and kill it.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll shoot a dog thats chasing deer whenever one crosses my path. Two poachers dogs were dispatched on a recent trip to Zim. They had a Waterbuck at bay and the Waterbuck was done running. One was skylined perfectly the other made the bad decision to run towards us and attempt to cross the dry river bed.

I was quite surprised that the 400gr Swift A frame from my .416 Taylor gutted him so efficentially. I suspected just an entrance and exit hole.

Posts: 53 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 12 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Roger,

I used to shoot heaps of the buggers around the rubbish dump in Waiouru back in the 70's.

They were not much of a challenge and easily knocked off when caught in spotlights, tripflares and paraflares. It was just pest destruction when they started chasing the local kids.

BTW didn't know you were a desciple (sp) of Dr Jack. The last time I had a session with him it was in a hut in the high country with me, he and 6 of your countrywomen. It was a VERY interesting night through the day after was hard to get through.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamish:
Gidday Roger,

BTW didn't know you were a desciple (sp) of Dr Jack. The last time I had a session with him it was in a hut in the high country with me, he and 6 of your countrywomen. Hamish

6???----- six???? It must be the water. thumbroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well some one has to play the liberal here...

personally I won't shoot a dog in the wild...

yeah I hear all the stuff everyone is saying..

but I have never been or ever will be a cattle rancher, or sheep rancher...

most of these animals are just dumped out in the wild by city people anyway....

it all goes back to where I believe I have more faith in the average dog than I do the average human in today's society....

I have been around what they call Coy Dogs in the Northeast back in the 1970s... these were dogs in packs, that had been dumped off by people after getting the dog for the summer for their kids and then letting it loose in the wild when they went back home to NY or somewhere like that...

these dogs would get absorbed into packs... at first they were attacked and if they held their own than they were accepted... problem was that these same packs would interbreed with wolves and large coyotes.... the offspring some how seemed to not have a fear of man just like their domestic parent....

ONE of those I would shoot if attacked.. I have no problem shooting coyotes or even wolves... but dogs is a tough one for me...

give me a moment while I put on my fire retardent overcoat here would ya???

seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Roger,
Yup twas six, and very fine examples they were.

They were uni students on an exchange over here and spent each weekend doing different tramps around NZ. It was very sociable evening and if I were 15 to 20 years younger I may have had a crack or a chance. Just ended up with a hangover resulting in a spooked deer in the morning.

Those girls still looked fine in the morning (a rare occurence for me due to grog glasses the night before) and were amazed that the old bugger could get up and head out hunting before dawn.

Certainly would like a repeat performance and with some more JD may make an even bigger fool of myself.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamish:
Gidday Roger,
Yup twas six, and very fine examples they were.Hamish

thumb thumbroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't quibble about specific genetics, dog, coyote, wolf...all go bye-bye if not properly cared for by their owners.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pit bull ripped me from A to Z on my own property.

Jump, bite, shake, jump, bite, shake, repeat.

It turned me into hamburger.

I can't explain how little patience I have for pit bulls and their owners, but the gun in my pocket can.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had to shoot 2 Great Pyrenees for a rancher once, and i wasn't about to say no, tho i really didn't like it much. That ranch was way too big to lose access to tho. Besides that he was having problems with them. Woman down the road raised them, and let them run free to harrass cattle on someone else's land.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote