THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Marlin Bolt Action Rimfires - Adjustable Triggers?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin Bolt Action Rimfires - Adjustable Triggers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went Gun Shop cruising last week and happened to spot a Stainless and Gray laminated Marlin Bolt Action rifle in the new 17cal rimfire. The rifle has their rimfire heavy barrel conture and no iron sights.

The clerk mentioned it had an "Adjustable Trigger" but declined my offer to take it all apart and check it out.

So, if any of you have one of these new(?) Adjustable Trigger Marlins and have had it apart, I'd sure like to hear about your impression of it.

1. Closed like a Remington or open like a Winchester?

2. Weight of pull adjustment range?

3. Is it still possible (or necessary) to replace their Trigger Spring with one out of a Ball Point Pen to reduce the weight a bit more?

4. Creep or drag?

If this was covered in a previous Thread, give me a hint about the Title and I'll search for it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HOt Core,

I looked at one the other day also. I was not impressed with how it was set out of the box. I did notice your little note of taking a spring out of a ballpoint pen to lighten the pull on a regular Marlin 800 series tho!

That is pretty cool. Have you tried it?

I don't think I would rush out and buy a new Marlin if you already have one, just because of the trigger claim. A friend of mine and I took my older Marlin 25M apart and just honned down the trigger contact surface and that increased the crispness of the trigger by quite a bit.

He had some fancy machine in his shop that he took 20,000ths off of the contact surface. A honing stone and a little time would accomplish the same thing.

Keep me posted if you can.

Cheers and Good Shooting
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...I did notice your little note of taking a spring out of a ballpoint pen to lighten the pull on a regular Marlin 800 series tho!

That is pretty cool. Have you tried it?

Hey Seafire, Yes, it does work well for me. I've done maybe 18-20 of the Bolt Action Marlins over the years by stoning the Sear Surfaces(both surfaces) and then cutting a segment out of a regular old Ball Point Pen spring to replace the Trigger Spring.

I bend the end I cut so it is back in contact with the "coil" below the cut. And I stretch it out a bit as well. Not sure how to describe the cut spring length very accurately, because it varies from rifle to rifle.

In fact, I have the one in my M880SS set just a bit too light right now. Occasionally I'll pull back on the Bolt and it will come completely out of the rifle because there isn't enough pressure on the Sear (now a Bolt Stop) to hold it. I just need to stretch that spring a bit more. Only problem is the Trigger is so good right now, I'm reluctant to mess with it.

The springs are relatively cheap or FREE if you go through many Ball Points. Or some Auto Parts Stores carry Spring Assortments which I've used in other Trigger mods over the years.

One really nice thing is you don't goof up the "original spring" and you can put it back in the rifle if you decide to trade or sell it.

Just go through the usual "bouncing the cocked rifle drill" to make sure the Sear doesn't let go unintentionally. And put a "Spent Case" in the chamber so the Firing Pin will hit it just in case the Sear does let go, or whenever you want to Dry Fire it. Once I Dry Fire it, I rotate the Spent Case a bit too so the Firing Pin strikes a new spot.

Good luck with it!

Thanks for the response on that Trigger. The clerk actually had a name or designation for it, but I sure can't remember what he called it.

I'd like to see all rifles get back to adjustable triggers.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,
Thanks for this tip. I will be doing it on my Marlin 25M this weekend, and also several of the 17 HRM's that I have.

Yeah, I have preferred Winchester's over the years in my bolt actions because of the trigger being adjustable.

I just started on learning how to adjust the triggers on the 3 or 4 Remingtons that have found their way into my gun safe.

Between this and the Scope Centering Trick learned via Leupold ( indirectly), It has been a productive few days.

Have a great weekend !

Cheers and Good shooting
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Seafire, How well did they come out for you?

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
I saw it...I tried the trigger....I bought it.....$269 out the door

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HOt Core:

It hasn't been tried yet. Unfortunately I got side tracked Friday taking care of customer problems, Saturday I got side tracked at the reload bench, so I could get side tracked Sunday out shooting the the POP Can sized midgets.

Then the ugliest day of the week shows up, Monday.

As soon as I get to it ( which will hopefully be real soon) I will give you and update.

I am sure you can understand the addiction when shooting opportunities are available. Yesterday I managed to prep the cases ( resize, tumble, and prime) 300 223 cases., and 100 22/250 cases. NOT bad since I also worked about 8 hours and then did 90 minutes of yard work. Then was back at a customers site at 8 :30 and got home at 11:30 Deprimed and sized a 100 22/250 cases so I could tumble them over night. At 7am I primed them so I can load them tonight.

It is an addiction I tell you, LoL. But we love it.!!!
Cheers and good shooting
Seafire

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...I am sure you can understand the addiction when shooting opportunities are available. ...

Hey Seafire, Absolutely!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I saw it...I tried the trigger....I bought it.....$269 out the door

Hey lofter, How `bout taking the stock off, looking the trigger over real good and telling us your impressions of it? Approximate adjustment range? Is it Stainless up inside? Does the "adjustment" only adjust the Trigger Pull Weight?

If you have another Bolt Action Marlin available, do the actual springs appear to be the same? How `bout the shape of the trigger or did they redesign it up near the Sear?

I saw that same clerk again Monday and thought he was about ready to take the stock off the one here, but other customers piled in and it was no time to be goofing around.

About 25 years ago a buddy and I walked in a Pawn Shop to check out a Ruger Security Six they had. He asked them if it would be alright for us to "Clean the Barrel" so we could see the Lands and Grooves clearly. That clerk agreed.

In about 55sec, we had that Security Six all apart laying on the counter and had a brush stuck in the muzzle. After a few scrubs and wipings, my buddy looked at me, then the clerk and said, "Naaahhh, don't want it. Let's go!", with it all apart on the counter. The clerk's look was priceless.

Of course my buddy was kidding and ended up buying it from that fellow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The owner of the gun shop that I frequent says the new Marlin trigger is "not" adjustable, only improved as to creep. What is the real story here??

Posts: 49 | Location: York , PA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey LongRifle, Do you think you could get him to take the "one screw" out of the stock and let us know what you see?

Also, I've forgotten this each time I posted, I think it is refered to as the "T-900". If anyone can comment on that and tell me I have that all hosed-up or I am correct, I'd appreciate it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I stopped by another local Gun Shop yesterday and they didn't have a single "new" Marlin Bolt Action rimfire. They did have a 2004 catalog though.

From the catalog:
Quote:

New for 2004, all 900 series Marlin bolt action rimfire rifles - in 22 Long Rifle, 22 WMR and 17 HMR - will be equipped with Marlin's new T-900 Fire Control System. This inovative trigger and safety system features a wide, serrated finger-contact surface conducive to an easy pull, a noticably improved and consistent trigger, plus a newly engineered easily activated safety, with positive SAFE and FIRE positions. Marlin designers and engineers have successfully incorporated this trigger and safety system into every bolt action rimfire rifle in our line.

There is a side-view drawing, but it is not detailed enough to be able to tell if there are any "Adjustments" on it. Also, it appears they have totally removed the single Coil Spring shaped like one in a Ball Point Pen and replaced it with some shorter, wider diameter coil springs similar to the Safety Spring on the original Ruger M77s(or a Bail Spring on a 300 Mitchel Reel).

one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Rifle Basix makes an adjustable trigger for the Marlin for $80 USD

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote