New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decissions Decissions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok guys, i'm going to be either purchasing or having a new rifle built here fairly soon. I've already pretty much decided on the glass to put on it, however i am still unsure as to the exact round. I will be primarily using this rifle as a long range target/long range varmint rifle (500 yds +) I have narrowed it down to four different rounds. The first two should come as no surprise, either the 6.5x284 or 6x284. The third would be the 25-06 and lastly, the .260 remington. I will primarily be shooting groundhogs with this thing. I'm still very open to suggestions on the round. I need something that will be very accurate at long distances. Also, if you know of a gunsmith that does good work, i'd like to know about them as I'm still looking for someone to build this rifle. Thanks,
Ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruck, I can foresee a lenghtly discussion if you make it home for the weekend!!! I'll also try to see if a couple of the gunbuilders I know will be around on Saturday or Sunday for us to go visit! My choice if I was going to have someone do it right would be BOB M. But whether you can talk him into it is another story! Nobody will do it better if you can get him to do it!!! ANd I do know that he has exceptional reamers for the 6/284, 6.5/284 and the 25-06!!! Not sure of the .260 which will be a big part of our discussion!!!! Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep, i agree, Bob does exceptional work from what i've seen and yes, he would be my number one pick. However, i thought he was getting out of the gun business? Who knows, i have had him do some work on my competition guns and they are nationals winners. Maybe he will give in just the one time Wink Again, i don't know much about that 260, i just thought i'd throw it out there
Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote