Find
Notify
Tools

What to buy: Can only get 1
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
I've been discussing with my father-in-law about a Varmint rifle for him. He's handled just about everything, from Browning to Winchester. First he settled on 223, then on a 1:9 twist.
Then he decided a laminate stock and a not-quite bull barrel would make for a good looking piece. He didn't want an 11lb monster, so he wants something about 8lbs. He'll be shooting targets (non-competition) and eventually go after some critters.

Does anyone here have some experience with this rifle? I said I'd collect some opinions on potential problems and suggestions on what to have done aftermarket. Any trigger, bedding, floating problems that are too prevalent to ignore? On paper it seems like a good deal, but I'm not familiar with the Coyote. If he'd wanted the Savage I could have said " go for it, it's ugly as hell but it shoots."

Thanks.

[ 04-05-2003, 21:50: Message edited by: Gonzo FreakPower ]

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Savage's are good shooting guns, but you may want to consider a Remington 700. Vary accurate rifles that can target shoot right out of the box. A standard ADL/BDL will weigh in at around 7 lbs +/- and a varmit model +/- 9lbs. They both come with 12" twists, requiring =/<60gr bullets to be really accurate. These weights are the preferrable choice for benchrest shooters and will do a number on smaller varmits!! IMHO!

Mark

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I have 3 h-bar,,ar-15's,service a2 config. to flat top. All 3 shoot sub moa,,paint it black!Or maby if he's looking for style,,a contender encore carbine,then he could have a rifle or whoopass pistol in a couple of minutes time,and a endless selection of calibers to choose from,black powder to boot.Happy shooting,Clay.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two choices given your criteria would be iether the Howa Thumb hole rifle with Boyds pepper laminated stock or a laminated vssf rem 700 in .223. The rem comes in at around 7 1/2 pounds.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote