Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me decide........
 Login/Join

posted
There are 3 guns that have caught my eye and I figured I would get some input.

The three rifles are a heavy barreled wood stocked Savage single shot in 22-250, a heavy barreled black stocked Savage bolt action repeater in .223, and a Volquartzen heavy barreled 10/22 type black stocked rifle in .17 HMR.

This will be my first varmint/target style rifle I have owned (being a traditional archer first and secondly a waterfowler). I will not be getting back into reloading with this rifle and will be purchasing over the counter ammo instead. The rifle will be used to punch paper on a 100 yard range locally and groundhog hunting on farms here in Delaware. Most groundhogs will be harvested within 150yrds and on farms that are relatively close to populated areas as DE is a very small state in the heavily populated Mid Atlantic region of the east coast. DE allows any firearm to be used in groundhog hunting but I think a 45-70 would be a bit of overkill [Wink]

If you had to select one of the above three rifles which one would you choose?

Just looking for some input as for the last 3 weeks I have been holding off purchasing till I was sure which one would work best for my needs.

Posts: 18 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 22 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually the 45/70 probably wouldn't carry as far as the other mentioned cartridges. Have you considered a Muzzle loader? Much shorter range and the neighbours wouldn't feel as threatened. Otherwise I think you would find the 223 to be what you are looking for. Ammo is a lot cheaper too. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 223!!

The 17 HMR will drive you nuts finding ammo for it, and it will cost 20 to 25 cents every time you pull the trigger. If you can get black hills ammo in Delaware, that will actually cost a little less to feed, but you can get 223.

If you handload, or plan to the economy and versatility lean even more to the 223.

In your environment mentioned, the 22/250 won't give you anything the 223 won't, except more expense and accelerated barrel wear.

I own all three calibers ( 3 17HRMs, 3 22/250s, and six 223s). The first two set in my gun safe a lot more than the 223s do. [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 223 is the way to go ammo's cheap shoots well. Your able to reload it. beats me why any body would want a 17 rim when you can reload center fire 224's for cheaper.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Ditto on all of the above. With the parameters you laid out, go with the .223 and start shooting!

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the .22-250Rem., and for my purposes it can't be beat. However, I'm quite familiar with Delaware and think you might be better off with the .223. I think the .22-250Rem. has too much range for your area and is a loud sucker. A .222Rem. would probably be an even
better choice. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just gonna change the mood here.

What about an accurized 10/22??? Stock 10/22 with GM, A&B or Volquartsen barrel with a laminate stock. People won't even know that you are shooting around them. Plus it will be weather proof. It will do the trick on groundhogs out to 150 yds. and will be accurate enough for some fun paper punching. Best of all is the cheap ammo!!!

If this isn't an option, go with a savage 223. Accurate rifle and the barrel won't wear down as quick as with the 22-250. Plus cheap ammo!!!

HTH
AXEL

Posts: 28 | Location: Stronghurst, IL | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good points Axel! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote