New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sako 75 or Kimber 84M
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I second the Cooper suggestion. The are fine indeed. I was told yesterday, to my surprise, that the Coop's barrels are made by Krieger. Any truth to that.

The Sako is an excellent choice too...sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of breaking in my new Kimber 84M Longmaster VT in .22-250. I was not sure what to ecpect from the break in, but at 215 yds the rig settled down to a 2.5" group consistently. That was after only 40 rounds of factory ammo (40grain)and cleaning between every 5. The rifle is far from broke in and from what I am seeing, this will be a handy rifle for smackin some coyotes. What I dislike the most about Kimbers......scope mounts. No one seems to make a weaver base for the thing. The gunsmith can, and will, make me some. My opinion of Leupold bases will be kept to myself, as I hate to have a one-sided argument. Sitting ontop of the rig is a Zeiss 6.5-20x50. The optics are nice but the rings.....give me some Badger Ordinance rings and bases and the world will be a better place. I am very happy with the rig and think it'll work just fine.
As for the Remington 700's, I have 8, and wouldn't trade a single one of them for gold or land.
I saw the new Kimber VT and just had to have it.
Good luck on your decision!

one of us
posted Hide Post
hammerhead,

Warne makes Weaver style bases for the Kimber 84M's. At least that's what the site says. I ordered a couple pairs and they shipped them and I am waiting.

As to the comments on the quality of Kimber rifles I don't doubt it a bit that some bad ones were made and some others are still out there. I have been told that Kimber is on a manufacturing upgrade effort. This effort has delayed production and the release of new products.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In regards to the question of Cooper barrels, I believe they are made by Wilson. I also read that Wilson makes their actions, which are then finshed by Cooper. That said, if you are not looking for a light weight rifle, the Coopers are excellent. My 22-250 (Cooper) shoots consistantly in the mid .3's. Check gunsamerica for good prices and immediate availability. I've bought two of them that way. I currently have a Kimber Montana on order for a fly weight walking varminter.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cooper barrels - as mentioned above, made by Wilson. Some people are not too keen on those barrels (not the World's most expensive), but the combination Cooper/Wilson seems to work well.
FWIW - mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who Cares! Either way you have an excellent Cadillac type rifle. All such choices in life should be so awful to have to make.

Really impress the rif raft and buy one of each!

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote