New
Find
Notify
Tools

varmit call in africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
has any one used a varmit call in africa. i think it has to be non electronic. If so what worked good and what came to it.
thanks

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Jeff Thomason and Todd Woodall, of "Predator Pursuit" fame, did two shows this year on calling in Africa using an e-caller. They did a show on daytime calling and one on calling at night. Jeff is a member here now. Maybe he will chime in.

I know there are outfitters now specializing in African predator calling hunts.

I was allowed to use an e-caller in Namibia. I don't know the regs in other countries.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
E-caller is allowed in Namibia but calling in So. Africa is limited. In Namibia I called in 2 leopards in 2 days, a pride of lions the following day, and then jackal, and a hyena. The leopards and lions were the intended target animals.

Using any calls from your position would be a poor decision. The e-caller has the benefit of being set out away from your hide. I don't worry much about black bear or even mt. lion however African lions and leopards are another thing altogether.

Last year while accompanying my daughter on a hunt for a lioness we had a hair raising experience. We were using a remote caller and were in a blind. The PH said something was neaby because of the sound of birds. After 20 min. we received a call over the radio that a lioness was in a neaby village and would we come and do something. The people were locked in a bathroom. My daughter could have shot the lioness but using locals as bait seemed unsportsmanlike. We pushed the cat away from the village. After a snack and refreshments we returned to the blind and found a/the lioness up in a tree and looking down into our blind. (There was a pride of lions working the area so we are unsure what animals visited our blind earlier when the birds gave notice) It made for exciting video and pictures but also was unnerving. If we had been in the blind it could have been quite a scene. Moral of the story...don't build you blind under a tree!

Calling cheetah proved uneventful. We weren't able to find fresh sign so that is probably the reason for a lack of success.

Confirming with your PH what the regulations are in the area and associated to the animal you wish to call is a wise idea.

Good hunting! Venado

Posts: 33 | Location: Dana Point, CA | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote