Find
Notify
Tools

Painted my predator rig
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted
Now that turkey season is over I got around to painting my calling rifle. Thought you guys might like to see it.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty good to me. I'm a fan of CZ's to begin with but I like the paint job.

Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mighty fine job there GrayDuck. I really like what you did.
I picked up a used Kimber montana 308. I topped it with a silver 2.5 x 8 Leupold. I'm thinking of doing the same thing to both the scope and rifle. Seeing pix of your rifle make me want to head out to my workbench right now.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I was kind of nervous about doing it but I got some tips from a buddy that has painted a few. I'm glad I decided to leave the scope and rings unpainted.

I used spanish moss for the stencil.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used dura-coat on several rifles and really like how they came out. Only gripe I have is that you really can't tell what the colors truly look like by their catalog. I do need to tell you that yours really looks good. clap

Posts: 223 | Location: arizona | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks GREAT.

I bought some dura-coat last year but have yet to do it because of the temperature warnings. I've read some "how to's" on the net but would really love it if you posted your method in detail!!!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
That is fantastic!

Care to share the details?

I have tried a few camo jobs that came out what I considered pretty good.. but not as well as yours!

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
After I had everything removed from the stock, (butt plate, sling studs, etc.) I used citristrip to remove the old finish. A little light sanding and it was ready to go.

I left the scope attached and just taped everything off. The only thing I did to the barrel was to wipe it down with acetone.

The primer and paint were all Krylon. Both the stock and barrel got two coats of the spray can primer. I let that cure for 24 hrs. Then applied 3 coats of the khaki basecoat. I let that dry for a couple hours.

I used Spanish moss for the stencil. It’s a little hard to come by here in Iowa so I called my grandpa in FL and had him send me some. I used the same technique on the stock and barrel. Just put in on the table and set the moss on top. I tried to vary the thickness of the moss to get a mottled look in addition to the pattern. Once you have all the moss piled on you just spray with the green. Within 5 minutes it is dry enough to turn it over and do the other side. That was it.

I let it hang for a couple more days to cure before I reassembled it because the humidity is so high right now. The test will be how well it wears. I decided not to use a matte clear coat. Touchup will be easier without it. However, if it doesn’t wear well then I’ll touch it up and add the clear coat.

I am pleased with how it turned out. Let’s face it, the coyotes don’t care. I’m sure the Ted Nugent paint scheme is just as effective but I think this looks pretty cool.

Again, appreciate all the compliments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Very cool job!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice job.

I painted my Browning Stalker turkey shotgun using BowFlage removable rattle can paint...OD green, flat black, and tan. I used a plastic fern from an old flower arrangement as the stencil. Most of the design is still on after 20 years.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Well done! A pro job. Now we will look forward to seeing it in some pics with some predators!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey onefunzr2,

Did your shotgun have the rubberized Dura-touch coating on the stock?

I want to paint my A-Bolt Varmint Stalker with the Dura-Touch, but I want to make sure you can paint on that rubberized coating.

let me know por favor..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
My black synthetic Stalker stock had no rubberized coating. It was one of the first BPS 10 gauges made; circa 1987. I wiped down all the parkerized (or however the steel is treated) metal parts with BrakeFree CLP. I wiped down all the stock parts with acetone and starting free-lancing it with the spray bombs. The only parts that eventually got surface rust was at the carry point at the bottom ejection port...I recoated with CLP and it never got any worse.

My overseas hunting partner has an A-bolt Stalker, a little newer made, that has the same press molded fiberglass composite stock. No rubbery feeling about these two.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrayDuck:
Thanks guys. I was kind of nervous about doing it but I got some tips from a buddy that has painted a few. I'm glad I decided to leave the scope and rings unpainted.

I used spanish moss for the stencil.
Great job!

In reference to your not wanting to paint the scope, check out the article starting on on pg. 82 and especially the picture on page 89 of the Feb 2009 edition.

--Mike

Feb 2009 Archive

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Very nice! thumb

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
Flippy, I mostly wanted to paint my rifle to get rid of the barrel shine. Wasn't too worried about the scope shining other than the objective but i doubt i will paint that. Big Grin

Even if the article is accurate not too worried about a little black scope. Either way enjoyed the article, thx for the link.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrayDuck:
Flippy, I mostly wanted to paint my rifle to get rid of the barrel shine. Wasn't too worried about the scope shining other than the objective but i doubt i will paint that. Big Grin

Even if the article is accurate not too worried about a little black scope. Either way enjoyed the article, thx for the link.
No problem.

I saw a guy recently at a gunshow that made camo scope covers out of a neoprene-like material.
Double bonus, protected the scope, too.

Was basically a tube with the bottom mostly open, may have even had some velcro. Slip the ends over the objective and ocular bell and wala!

They were somewhere around $25. I should have bought one!

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
This is kind-of what I saw.
This is not as slick, but just as functional.
You could make one yourself.

Scope Cover