THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: How do you clean a heavy copper fouling?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How do you clean a heavy copper fouling?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yet another vote for Wipe-out. Worked great on an old 30-06 that had not been cleaned well in years, decades maybe.

Posts: 37 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Wipe-Out. I tried a lot of cleaners, but Wipe-out worked the best for me. I had a barrel that fouled easily and would take 20+ patches to get clean, but an overnight soak in Wipe-out does the trick now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Rebarrel with something of better quality.

That doesn't seem particularly constructive. "Better quality" than what? Better than two air gauged Harts and a Shilen? The fellow is just trying to get his rifle clean, it can happen to the best of us.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
Rebarrel with something of better quality.

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I recently starting using Montana Extreme Bore Solvent. In addition to removing unwanted nose hair it does a pretty fair job on copper.

LOL>>>>>..sakofan..Me 2!!

I about passed out the first time I smelled that stuff!!!

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
sako, I use Butch's and like it a lot. Good stuff.

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have tried hoppes 9 and Rb 17 and they both don't seem to get the barrel clean enough. The gun had a least three hundred rounds through it without cleaning. Accuracy has gone from .375 to 1.25 and doesn't want to come back.
What can I do??

one of us
Picture of bill22250
posted Hide Post
Don't use in gas operated actions, like an AR15.

Posts: 37 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Wipe out has save me many hours and hundreds of patches.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Outers Foul-Out II for heavy copper removal such as from Barnes X bullets although I never leave the solution in, or the unit turned on all night long. It's got a 'done' indicator on it and usually only takes an hour or so. I also use Barnes CR-10 for light fouling or when I need exercise with a brush and patches.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Hunters Extreme Copper Melt. It is spendy but I will never use anything else.Look it up on the internet, I think its coppermelt.com, they can explain what it does better than I can.slygunner

Posts: 53 | Location: Utah | Registered: 27 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Ammonia, the strongest solution you can get. 10% janitor's ammonia is way better than the 3-5% household ammonia, and the best is the concentrated 28-30% stuff used in chemistry labs. (The drug cops have scared a lot of U.S. retailers out of selling any stronger than the common household variety to the public, since it can be used in making "meth.") Cap the muzzle and pour the bore full, and let it stand for an hour or so, then go back to your usual cleaning techniques.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, you can probably get all the copper out with the use of Barnes CR-10 and a nylon brush. Don't try to use a bronze brush, the CR-10 will just eat it.

I can hardly imagine the copper that CR-10 will not take out. But, if that is the case, then I would highly recommend the same thing that some folks use to clean guns when shooting moly bullets; that is Kroil and JB together.
Swab the bore first with Kroil then work on it with JB or USP Paste, or Rem Clean, or any of the good paste cleaners. You will be able to get the thing clean eventually.

Good Luck, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with Sweet's 7.62

It's got enough ammonia.

G23c

Posts: 13 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wipe out is the very best bore cleaner on the market. Try it, you will love it.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote