THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: 6mm Sierra 85 gr. Gameking

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 6mm Sierra 85 gr. Gameking
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 41rem
posted
Thanks for the replys, think I'll just shoot them up on paper, still getting used to the rifle and high powered scope. Will load up on some of the lighter 55-58 grainer's and give them a go. Seafire, what is your fav. load for that 75 gr. V-max @ 2800...??

Posts: 54 | Location: Hurricane Ridge, Wa. | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 6/06 for the majority of my yote hunting, it runs the bullets quite hard. To date the best bullet I've found for being nice to the pelt is the 55 Noz BT. But, I've yet to of tried them all yet.....grins.

"GTTH"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That 85 gr HP is not really best for anything. Do what Mark said.

I am shooting the 58 VMax from a 243. The 55 gr Nosler shoots just as well.

The ballistic coeficients of the subject bullets are about the same but the 55 gr bullet can go 800 fps faster!

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, I do a lot of yote hunting and in the 6's I've found the bullet that is easiest to the pelt is the Noz 55 BT.

Give it a try out to 300 or so it'll do just great.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner shot that same bullet and caliber. Most of the time it didn't tear them up too bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Sierra 85gr. Gameking in my .243Win. as well as my 6mm Rem. and like them a lot, mostly for the accuracy.
However, I think they may be a bit much for coyote. I'd go with the Nosler 70gr Balistic Tip or something even lighter.
Just my own opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My advice is a 75 grain Hornady HP, with a MV of 2800 or so.

You don't need to redline the velocity to take down a coyote, and if calling you should be able to bring one in a lot closer than 300 yds. However the above load has a useful trajectory to 300 yds.

Good luck with it.
cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
41rem,

My Son has an early 77 Ruger that shoots in the low 3's with 43.8 grs. of IMR4350,the EXCELLENT 85gr. SIERRA HPBT seated .010" off the lands, Winchester cases, CCI BR2 primers.

This is a mild load and very effective on deer. Never tried them on Coyotes but they do a fine job on groundhogs and crows. As some of the other posters stated, a lighter bullet might might be a better choice if saving the pelts is a priority.

Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 41rem
posted Hide Post
Are these Sierra's any good for coyote hunting?? I'd like to kill the yote without blowing the off-side pelt up. Out of a 243 win impact velocity @ 200/300 yards whould be roughly 2800-2500 fps?? Years ago I used the 140 gr.Gameking in my 270win on Montana mule deer, It was quite the killer if I remember right. I have a box of these and a box of Hornaday 75 gr. V-max that will move a little faster, could always go to a lighter more expolsive bullet, but do I need to????

Posts: 54 | Location: Hurricane Ridge, Wa. | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 41rem
posted Hide Post
Cal, whats your most accurate load in 243 win. using that 85 gr. Sierra? Shot some yesterday using IMR 4895 that put 5 shots into .770" @ 100 yards, not a world-beater but pretty decent for me.