New
Find
Notify
Tools

BOG POD
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
has anyone used the 3 leg bog pod? if so what are your likes and dislikes of the product. thinking of purchaseing one, and sitting on a folding chair, to shoot at PD's.

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I have used one extensively on many hunts. I disliked the black with pink handle pads, so I spray painted it camo. I also dislike the twisting to set the height. If all your shooting is from the same height position, then that is not an issue. But if you set it for sitting and reset it for walking, it can be a PIA resetting the height several times a day.

A good amount of my hunting is walking in steep and tough terrain, so the BP sticks make a darned good walking stick too. If I lost my current set (like my son lost my first set), I would go buy another. Very steady, but light weight.

I believe the newer ones solved the pink handle issue as they can be bought in camo, and may have the quick releases to change the height.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
I disliked the black with pink handle pads

Gave my son a camo bog pod for Christmas and they now have black handles w/thin red stripe at top. Would be better if handles were at least OD IMHO, but the paint idea is a good solution.

Not familiar w/the older model but these have a very nice lever lock similar to photo tripods for elevation and legs are marked off in inches to make adjustment fast & easy.

My grandson thinks they are OK; he shot this buck off of them the 27th of Dec. Smiler

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and sitting on a folding chair, to shoot at PD's.

Yo lookie,

I would imagine the 3-legged one would be pretty stable and if used without the constraints of having to adjust it inside the confines of a blind you've all the space you need to make adjustments. The question remains though? The rifle's forearm is stable but what about your elbows? If you can fix that w/a solid shooting position and remain comfortable enough during the usual extended P-D shooting sessions then - whether you use the Bipod or Tripod is pretty much a moot point IMO.

Given your consideration a Harris Bipod attached to a foream in (IIRC) the 27" sitting position length is pretty solid too but you still gotta be able to fold your Wings (elbows) stable or it all goes for naught.

Since I've only used the Bog Pod (Bipod) with fixed head, their Bipod/Tripod with the adjustable head could proove to be an ideal tool for what you are considering.

I've used the Bog Pod Bipod from a sitting position in a portable blind (the foldable one one that sets up around a folding chair). When adjusted correctly with elbows on knees (or planted in one/two of the chair's Cup Holders) IMO it is rock solid enough to shoot VERY small Deer (Roe, Muntjac & Chinese Water Deer) at extended range (=300 meters w/12X scope). A P-D at range may be another Kettle of Fish altogether - Dunno, never tried it but managed to connect with some secondary vermin targets such as Foxes & Badgers at good range.

Whether or not the hold would be stable enough for P-D's at "normal" P-D shooting range; say, 200-300 meters w/a .223 Rem.; Gee, I Dunno - but for the price of a Bog Pod, why not give one a try? They're certainly more mobile and less expensive than a portable Shooting Table.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Bog Pod some on big game hunts and found it usefull. I made the mistake of loaning mine to a "friend" for an elk hunt a few years back and it never came back.

I like them fine for big game hunting, but think to try to use one for prairie dogs would be a poor choice. Prairie dogs are small targets and the range can get long. You need a much more stable platform than the Bog Pod can provide.

I prefer to do my PD shooting prone using a Harris bipod. I have found this to be very stable and have shot prarie dogs a long ways off. However, some people do not like lying on the prairie with the fleas, cactus, rattle snakes and all.

Like previously mentioned if you go with the Bog Pod get the new version with the camo paint and the quick release adjustments for height.

If you want to sit, the tall Harris bipod that you can sit behind would be better than the Bog Pod in my opinion. I have used that set up to kill be game at better than 400 yards.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I have a shoulder problem that precludes my from going prone behind a Harris for small game at distance and the alternative for me, while not as steady, has allowed hits on rabbits out to 300yds. I have the sitting height Stoney point bipod and for inside 150 yds a quick kneel will sufice but anythung further out dictates sitting with elbows firmly planted on knees. If the terrain permits I have a portable trolly that is rock steady.

By hooking my thumb arround the upright I can get as steady as prone with a Harris.

Always carry the bipod for larger animals and after the rabbit sized targets everything else is simple.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the terrain permits I have a portable trolly that is rock steady.

Very nice, especially use of the handle for the third leg stability w/bipod!

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dunno but it seems to me like if i'm carrying a chair, the bog pod, rifle ammo etc. out into a pd field that i'd forget the bogpod and bring either one of the little benchrests or an ironing board as a rest

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have been away. thanks for the replies. the newer bog pod has a better rest for rifle forend, also swivels. they do have a rest that can be attached to the pod. really like your cart Von Gruff. shooting from the prone really has gotten to be a pain in the neck. have the harris bi-pods, but find it shakey. thought 3 legs would be better.