New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 RIMFIRE FOR VARMINTS?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
this might be a real off the wall question but does anyone use a .22 rimfire to shoot critters like prairie dogs and such? if not why not???? a .357 mag can be your best friend.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure! It's a great tool if you can get close (50-75 yards). Not many towns will let you get that close so you can play "pop the vermin" though.

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
If the truth be known, despite all the high-falootin' varmint rigs in the locker, the majority of my varminting is done with an iron-sighted .22 bolt action and hardware store ammo.

Having said that, I have to swear all of you to secrecy or I'll never be allowed to buy another rifle as long as I live!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For prairie rats to 200, I use a modified 10/22 with a Shepherd scope. Works very well.

If the wind kicks up or the rats are nervous, out comes the quarter bore!

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Here in Oregon where I hunt for rats most farmers will only allow rimfires. The supped up 10/22s are the tools of the trade for that. Like Holmes said, break out the quarters when the timimg is right.

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a vintage rem. .22 here more than anything for whistlepigs. Seems to work fine out to 150 tds or so. I will also second what Redial had to say!!!!!!

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son uses a 22 on p dogs a lot longest lasered hit was at 247 yards. They can be great fun cheap to shoot a lot.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
redial your secret is safe with me i can understand the need to keep a spousal unit in the dark sometimes. a.357 mag can be your best friend........

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got permission from the spousal unit to get the new 17 HMR for longer range varmits and tree rats. It goes hunting tommorow instead of the 22 or bow!

Should be fun!

[ 09-06-2002, 22:02: Message edited by: amosgreg ]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
amosgreg please report on your hunt with your 17hmr. im curious how people like them. im still wonderin if ruger will come out with a 10/17 autoloader. .a

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot many rabbits with a .22lr in Brno Model 2 with win power point ammo, so it works no worries just has limited range.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What everyone says about the .22 is true and they are fun to shoot, and at extreme range it takes some skill and practice, but when I went to the .22 Win. Mag. and 34 grain Win. bullets it was like a different world. If you get a chance you might try one out. Just tell the farmers it's a .22 rimfire and you'll be telling the truth.

Posts: 44 | Location: Deer Park, WA. 99006 | Registered: 23 April 2002Reply With Quote