New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint Rests
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Seeings the rains have put a damper on my planned Black Bear Hunt today I have decided to answer (publicly) an E-mail I received last night regarding Varmint rests I use here in the high plains country.
The E-mail came from an eastern situated Varmint Hunter and he uses an older style Harris Bi-pod (non swivelling tall model) for his pursuits to date. He is planning a western Varmint Hunt for Prairie Dogs this late summer.
I advised that this rest will work well for a lot of what he will be faced with western Varmint Hunting wise and I added that some other rest types will enhance his fun and his scoring.
On any Varmint Safari I set out on I take several types of rests to shoot from. Not the least of which are my Harris Bi-pods! I have seven of them but only one of the distinctly superior swivelling "S" Models. I have used these for many years and even use them on my Big Game Rifles. One is attached right now to my Remington 700 Classic in 7mm Remington Magnum - that I would be carrying up into spring Bear country right now if it weren't for this confounded rain!
I have gathered these many Harris Bi-pods over the years from buying and reselling Rifles set up with them and from pawn shops and the like! I simply am way to cheap to pay anywhere near the retail asking price of these fine rests anymore!
I think two of these wonderful tools would serve any western Varminter pretty well. One in BR height for shooting off of the hood of ones VarmintMobile and one for use in the field while sitting or prone - this would neccesitate one of the higher reaching (tall) models. And these would preferrably be the swivelling models!
Having said that I would not go on a Varmint Safari without a tripod! I simply would not consider it. My tripod is home made from a swivelling (tilting) spotting scope tripod. I have modified the head to accept a front rest type small (Varmint forend width) sand bag! I shoot REALLY well over this tripod type rest and I acquire "next targets" much quicker using a tri-pod than when using one of my a bi-pods! I much prefer to shoot off of my tri-pod as opposed to my bi-pods!
In addition to my suggestions to the E-mailer I also suggested both an "X" type Uncle Buds style "huge" sand bag and one of the wonderful Dog-Gone-Good "W" style window ledge bags! Uncle Buds does not make an "X" type window sand bag rest and I have two of the Dog-Gone-Good window rest bags. One is smaller (half the size) of the other. The large one is about 18 inches long and can double as an over the hood or over the bench type bag rest! I absolutely love these bags when filled with sand - but they are heavy to carry afield and I still sometimes do this.
The E-mailer asked about buying a portable bench and I told him how happy I am with the two portable bench types I use afield. I have one portable "swivelling" bench and shooting from it is a pure joy! Its hard to get to far from the VarmintMobile with this type portable bench rest! But I have another bench that I made for myself that is extremely rigid and is TRULY portable. Once unloaded from the VarmintMobile it simply glides across hill and dale and ravines and cultivation furrows at the pull of my fingertips! You see I made it replete with two large inflatable wheel barrow type wheels! I simply flip it over on its top and the wheels that are to each side of the front of the shooting bench top front it rides along the ground on these two wheels and when balanced properly this heavy bench just glides along! I can remove my snadbags from its top place them in my camoed daypack along with my ammo boxes, laser rangefinder, wind gauge and cool drinks - fold up my comfy folding camp chair and wheel off to the next set up! I usually also carry two Varmint (heavy) Rifles along as I glide along! One Varminter is slung across my back and the other is carried in my free hand! I stay gone away from the VarmintMobile til both Rifles are dirty then I can return them to the VarmintMobile for fresh arms and return to where I last left the rolling portable bench or glide the bench back also and head off in a new direction! I love this glididng bench! Varminting IS MUCH BETTER away from ones vehicle! MUCH BETTER!
BUT I advised that a portable bench rest table is not absolutley neccessary either! Shooting from or from a top a truck (the roof or the hood) or from atop the trucks canopy makes for great shooting! I advise sandbags on a towel (to avoid paint scratches) be used for this "from the truck shooting" - good rabbit ear type front and rear rest sandbags that is.
I have an MTM Walking Stick single-pod type rest also and I carry a small sandbag to rest over the stick out adjustable lever on the side of this single pod type rest! I shoot pretty well from the sitting and sometimes the prone position using this rest! They are comparatively cheap and I bought mine for like two bucks at a garage sale! I like it but don't use it to often anymore. I would not get rid of it though either!
Lots of options out there for rests and rests are certainly one of the secrets to higher percentage hits when Hunting Colony Varmints or predators for that matter.
Bottom line though is a portable bench is not absolutley necessary for Colony Varminting but I like them and use them about 50% of the time! I would not go on a Prairie Dog Hunt without my homemade tripod and my window bags and my hood type "X" bags!
Any thoughts out there from you other Colony Varmint Hunters.
I think I will try and look up the link where some years ago I got the idea of the wheeled type portable shooting bench for you alls perusal.
More later (dang rain!)
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will attempt to link to a friends home page and a picture showing his wheeled portable shooting bench. Mine is much the same but heavier. I glued and then screwed two sheets of 3/4" all weather plywood for an absolutely rigid top - no flex at all in it! And my wheels are again the large inflatible (pnuematic) wheel barrow size wheels. There is a brass handle on the bottom of the bench top for use when the table is turned upside down to grasp the bench and glide it to where its needed.
Also I forgot to mention another aid to resting of Varmint Rifles that I always take with me Varminting.
It is the nifty, handy and inexpensive Darrell Holland designed and made by the Varminter folks at Dog-Gone-Good products. It is a rectangular small sandbag. Its dimensions are 2"x3"x4" and has a belt clip to clip on a belt or a day pack for quick accessibility.
The format (idea) behind the three dimensions of the sand bag are so the Varminter can decide which dimension 2", 3" or 4" to give that amount of lift or stability to ones Varmint Rifle. This bag can be used under the forearm or under the toe of the stock. These are very inexpensive and very handy for the Varminter in the field!
Here goes the link attempt:

http://www.geocities.com/helenron.geo/pictures.html

I hope you can get the idea of this wonderful and really portable bench from this site (photograph).

More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add this regarding my home made wheeled shooting bench. All the parts for it are available at your local hardware store. Including the wheels and the 3' long axle that runs across the front of the bench. The legs on my 3 legged bench are also pre-cut and threaded heavy galvanized pipe - available at any hardware store - if they have them here in Dillon then they have them anywhere! They are 36" long and are threaded on both ends to accept a cap on one end that goes into the ground and the threads on the other end go into readily available brace/fittings that screw into the bottom of the bench top in three places. The legs quickly and easily thread on and then off for ease of transportation and storage. I made a simple storage shelf on the under side of the bench to hold the three capped legs securely while being stored or transported. If I remember correctly about 7 years ago I paid way under $100.00 for all my components for this bench. That includes the wheels the axle the plywood the threaded legs the caps and the fittings. I used already on hand lacquer to finish the top with.
If anyone needs or is interested I will try and give more details for its use and or construction.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
I use Stoney Points, a cane, walking staff, or a convenient pole size tree in our hill country when shooting groundhogs and other vermin. If it is a good groundhog field then I might add a folding stool if it is a short tote.

one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy, I have to agree about the Harris bipods, I have two that I use and would not be without. I have added a Caldwell shooting bag this year for shooting off of the truck, works great. I will have to try the wheels for my portable bench. I have two benches that I have made using a single layer of 3/4 inch plywood with a sheet metal angle for a stiffner, my legs on both tables are old fold-up table legs (sure hope the mother-in-law doesn't ask for her table back). The weight is minimal and they have worked out well so far.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBHewitt: I want to give just a touch more info on the "axle" and wheel retaining system of my home made portable bench. At my hardware store (and beleive me if they have it in Dillon, Montana they have it everywhere!) they have long (like 4') rods that are threaded for their entire length. I bought the size rod that just fits inside the wheelbarrow wheels hub. I can't remember if I added a sleeve over the threads to protect the internal hub of the wheelbarrow wheel or not. I remember debating with myself if one was needed or not. Anyway once the threaded axle is attached to the bench top I added some threaded nuts all the way down the axle to the wooded part of the bench on each side. I double nutted here and then added a stainless washer then the wheelbarrow wheel then another stainless washer then two more nuts to lock the wheels in their positions on each side. I have used this unit of mine for going on 8 years now and the wheels run true and smooth and like I said it glides over terrain of all types. I just keep it at an angle that "balances" and that allows for nearly effortless "pulling".
Many times I have had the bench over a mile from my truck and again let me belay to anyone interested, Colony Varmint Hunting is better away from a vehicle - ESPECIALLY Prairie Dogs!
They are developing an aversion to vehicles at least in the last three states I have Hunted them in! Anyone way once I have trundled to a new set up spot I simply turn the table back over onto its legs, unfold my chair, set up the sand bags or whatever I am using for a rest put the Rifle in it and I am again shooting VERY quickly! I can set up and be shooting in 30 seconds, and this quickness to set up is always a guaranteed three or four more Prairie Dogs in the bag as compared to manuevering and then parking a vehicle, slamming doors, unloading a bench and setting up from there!
Also I have seen the "green" Caldwell brand bags at several of the larger chain sporting goods stores I have frequented. Are they working out OK for you? Have you tried the "W" style window bags as yet? I have really been impressed with mine for the last 3 years or so.
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG, your posts are always intersting and full of good info. However, I find them difficult to read. I don't mean to give any offense, but I would read a lot more of what you write if you inserted a blank line between your paragraphs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy, the caldwell bag worked very well while we were out on our shoot a couple of weeks ago. The bag was quick and easy to set a rifle up for a quick shot, I covered the bed of my truck with two layers of plywood to get an elevated platform to shoot off of, the bag worked well on the cab of the truck as well as off the bench.
My friends have shot off of mats the last couple of years but trust me, the extra elevation made a worlds of difference. We would stop short of a ridge and I could be setup and going in no time. The wheels will be on one of my benches before the next outing, anything to get a few more shots before moving.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
This is what I use - a sandbag on a fence post!

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wooly ESS: And all. Pardon my slow reply to your follow-ups. I have been on a nonstop run of Varmint Hunting and then three days of high basin spring Black Bear Hunting!
Wooly ESS - that is a cool picture you have there of your Varminter on the fence post! I have used that method in the past on many occassions. It is useful but not as steady as many other shooting positions I use.
Again what a great picture! Is that typical Alberta Varmint country and whats in it? Ground Squirrels or Prairie Dogs? Is that a 4x12 Leupold with A/O on your Kimber Rifle?

Jbhewitt: Yes elevation is one of the keys to improved Colony Varmint shooting! Even just a couple of feet makes a world of difference in spotting and then shooting at the Varmints.
I use my Keb-Lab cactus proof mat when out scouting afoot for new Prairiei Dog towns and in spots that driving to or rolling my portable shooting bench is not possible (across dry washes etc or where the rancher or the BLM does not want or allow off road travel).
MarkL: Thanks for the kudos and the criitique. I considered it and appreciate it!

I will see about inserting space lines between paragraphs and such.

I don't think the extra space would be much of a burden to Saeed's electric bill?

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy, good idea on putting tires on the rest TOP (bottom when moving it). I think the larger tires would be better also in the terrain out west.

I have been looking at different portable rests for some time, looking for one to build. Judging economy, ease of transport and being able to make what I want and not somebody else's idea of a "good" bench.

Great picture, great idea.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
Is that typical Alberta Varmint country and whats in it? Ground Squirrels or Prairie Dogs? Is that a 4x12 Leupold with A/O on your Kimber Rifle?

Yes, that is pretty much typical Alberta varmint country, just east of Calgary. No prairie dogs, but beaucoup ground squirrels.

The scope is a Leupold M8 6X AO Compact

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flippy: Yes I got the idea from the fellow in South Dakota (maybe its North Dakota - I forget) and I repeat it is just amazing how this thing glides across furrows and uneven terrain with the larger inflatible tires! I am not sure how the original designers rig with the smaller hard tires gets over furrows and rough ground but my rig slips along amazingly smoothly over rocks and ruts and tractor rips everything out there it seems.
The only thing that stops it is those dry wash cliffs even small ones like 3 feet deep and its - find a way around time!
I have never really been completely stymied getting to a Colony Varmint area I wanted to though - but I have been "detoured" several times.
I wish I had the photo technology that others have so I could send up a photo of my rolling bench and its larger wheels.
I will keep after that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I am with you. The larger inflatable tires are the way to go.

Three legs would be more stable. Can't tell from the picture if the one you linked to has three or four.

I would also make a cut-out for me (RH shooter) so the corner wouldn't be in the way, like an old school desk.

Would like to see yours also. Hopefully you can get the picture thing figured out.

It's always good to get a few opinions and lots of ideas BEFORE the cutting starts...

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy enjoy your post. I have a cheap
WalMart or K-Mart tripod. was going to take a
a leaght of flat iron and tap a hole same as a
camera in the flat iron. That way I could
screw it on the tripod and tie a small leather
rifle rest sand bag on. Think it would make a
steady cheap rest.
Vera-pod on the 223 Savage FV-12.

Life but a knife edge anyway.Sooner or later the man slips and gets cut.
YOU AIN'T SLIPPED SIR?
How would you know son.
(Streets Of Laredo)

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gregg:
VarmintGuy enjoy your post. I have a cheap
WalMart or K-Mart tripod. was going to take a
a leaght of flat iron and tap a hole same as a
camera in the flat iron. That way I could
screw it on the tripod and tie a small leather
rifle rest sand bag on. Think it would make a
steady cheap rest.

Vera-pod on the 223 Savage FV-12.

Have one, works great. Got the idea from my step-dad. He's been using one since the fifties. Long before the trick stuff that's made now.

I used a piece of scrap wood (2X4), drilled a hole in the bottom and glued a 1/4-20"(?) nut into the bottom of it to screw the el cheapo tri-pod into.

Then I stapled a piece of heavy commercial loop pile carpet on top, in the shape of an "M" (when you look at the end) with the sides stapled to the sides of the wood and the middle part of the carpet stapled down. The rifle sits in the middle part of the "M". You can glue the middle so the staples don’t scrape your rifle, but if the carpet is thick enough, it is not a problem.

Fast, cheap, light and stable. If it gets broken, go to Goodwill and buy another tri-pod for $3.00. Have made several for friends also. Not a replacement for a bench, but very usable and portable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a vechile based rest
A cotton bag with Corriander seed 3/4 filled.

This creates a large channel for your whole rifle fore-end and butt. It weighs approximately 7kg but will sit on you bonnet when driving around. It is also very easy to move with the animal as it runs as the bag (with resistance) can slide in any direction while eliminating wobble. thumb

As the seeds are round it hugs the rifle stock very quickly. Just imagine jumping into the top of a silo. Pick the right shaped seed and you can sink up to your ankles or disappear to the bottom aka Beans.

Posts: 143 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heres mine, it's a leather bag filled with buck wheat husks, it has the consistencey of sand with very little weight. It is great for over the bonnet of my ute.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote