New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot my first Coyote!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After five years of trying to kill one of these damn things I did it. Everybody thought that I was jinxed. There were a few hunts that I didn't even see the dogs till they were dead, there always seemed to be something in the way. Last night before sunset I dropped into a canyon that I knew had coyotes in it, found a good spot to call, and started in. Two minutes in to the calling I noticed what appeared to be a funny looking bush on the other side of the canyon about 30 yards down from the ridgeline. I took a look through the scope and here is a yote looking back at me. I started to get really excited, this was the first time I had even had a yote in the scope. Put the crosshairs on his nose, thinking he was further away than he was, pulled the trigger, and heard the 50 grain VMAX slam into him. On the way over to the other side I realized that he had probably been sitting in that spot watching me the whole time. I had been watching the hop field above him thinking that he would come from there. I had hit him right on the chin. After looking back at where I was the shot was about 200 yards, I shouldn't have held on his face, but I was excited. Needless to say, I am addicted to Coyotes more than I ever was, I haven't been that excited in a long time.

Posts: 121 | Location: Prosser, WA | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
I love a happy ending!!!
Good for you.

Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KK00, Nothing like the first one!!! Enjoy and get more! We don't have quite the "target figure" here in the east as some of our western counterparts do but we all love it!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
Nothing like having a coyote sit and look at you , this is my favorite way shoot them . The best part is that long verticle line they create , you can always hold on the throat patch , and hit em a long ways out .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Knightkrawler00: Congratulations on the first Coyote! Good job and many happy returns! I lived for 50 years in Washington (born and raised in Renton) and Hunted the Prosser area and eastern Washington for Coyotes countless times! Remember that spot for future Hunts as the cunning Coyotes frequent where the food is!
Remember if you only shoot one shot do not hesitate to stay still and keep calling for another 10 minutes or so! You will be surprised how often another or a third Coyote will show themselves!
Get back out there after them! And be patient a Bobcat may come for ya!
Again good job!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Its great isn't it, sure gets my heartbeat up. [Smile]

Posts: 20 | Location: Pilot Butte, Sask, Canada | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was before work and I was wearing a tie and fancy shoes while eating my cornflakes at the dining room table when a coyote ran passed the window with one of my hens in it's mouth.

I ran full speed after it with a shotgun and I think the hen made so much noise in the coyote's mouth it didn't hear me coming. So I blasted the coyote and the hen both. The coyote died, but the hen recovered.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
knightkrawler00,

Big time congrats!! There is nothing like getting #1!!

Now.......get your butt out there and call in some more. It gets more addictive as you go along.

Here is some motivation. I called and took these seven in two days on my annual "New Mexico Coyote Safari" on a friend's ranch.

Good Hunting,

Bob
 -

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote