THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    How often do you clean your varmint rifle in the field?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you clean your varmint rifle in the field?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted
We are getting closer to going on our Pdog hunt, and a friend asked me a great question.

How often do you clean your rifle in the field? At the range, it is usually every 20-30 shots. Since I am bringing about 1000 rds along, that will be a lot of Wipe Out!

After those 20 shots, I don't get any copper fouling with either rifle. Should I shoot till accuarcy declines or just keep my regular cleaning schedule (which would let the barrels cool off some)?

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
NEJack,

Shoot until accuracy falls off. Then clean with a bore snake if you can. This process has got me through the day with no problems.

I do a more thorough job in the evening when I usually have more time. Each bore gets a thorough cleaning each day and the rest of the time I use the bore snake to keep it going.

I have also cleaned while at the bench, although not at 20 to 30 rounds. It gives you a chance to rest the eyes, etc. Most of our rifles are going 60 to 100 rounds before accuracy falls off, but I have pushed my 22-250 custom to 120 rounds without seeing any serious problems.

Good luck on your trip.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NeJack: Back when I could only afford a couple of Varmint Rifles (1970's) I would clean them every 40 - 50 shots (222's, 223's and 22-250's).
For the last several decades I have been shooting about the same number of shots but instead of stopping and cleaning I now simply switch Rifles - putting the dirty barrels away for the after sundown or after lunch cleaning sessions when I will clean 6 or 8 Rifles at once.
I think the more important issue that PD Hunters should be concerned about is not letting your barrels get hot and keep shooting them! I know you will be tempted to keep shooting them even when hot but don't!.
Hot barrels wear out significantly faster than cool barrels (comparing same number of shots down the tube!).
I am sure of the validity of this generalization.
If your barrel gets hotter than warm set it in the shade with the action open and the action opening facing the wind. Have the muzzle pointed to the sky so the chimney effect can help out with the flow of air up the barrel thus cooling the barrel quicker.
Shoot slow and be conscious of the barrel temps!
I don't think I have damaged any barrels by running them 50 - 60 shots without cleaning as long as the barrel temperatures were not excessive.
If you notice unexplained misses piling up after 30 or 40 shots then maybe you should stop and use your foam!
Try to keep the dust and grit of the prairies from adding up in the bolt lug area as well. I have a special bolt lug cleaning tool that I use for this area.
You would be surprised how much dusty, gritty, fine sand can accumulate here.
Have fun, keep em cool and shoot til you notice erratic bullet POI's (unexplained misses) then clean.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NEJack

Depends a little on which rifle I'm shooting. On my .223 I clean it about every 35 to 40. On the 6MM and the 22-250 about every 20 to 30 rounds. Never hurts to stop and clean and let the guns cool down a little.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of glockmeister71
posted Hide Post
I agree with VarmintGuy about the heat issue.I recommend these http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=RLC-50 .You'll need the 30-60C models(86-140F).I've used them and they work good.At $12/10 they're cheap as hell too.

Posts: 145 | Location: Knoxville,TN. | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to agree with varmintguy on all counts. Last weekend I was cleaning every 40 rounds, and once at 20 just because the barrel was hot and needed to cool anyway. What I do in the field is scrub with a bronze bore brush and shooters choice, one pass for each shot then patch it dry. This doesn't take long and experience has revealed I can shoot hundreds of shot this way without losing accuracy. I use the wipe-out at night when there is time to let it soak.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on the gun I have a 243 that is super accurate until about round 40 then things go south. I clean that one at 35 rounds.

I have 223s that I have shot hundreds of rounds down range with out any change. I clean them at the end of the day.

varmint guy is right about keeping the dust and other grit out. It seems to get every where when it is hot and dusty in a dog town.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the caliber.

17s need to be cleaned often.

Have shot 223s for three days without cleaning. Upon return home, shoot them for groups and find can still shoot a prairie dog worthy group at 200 yards.

Generally, use Wipe Out whenever we take a break or move location.

My partner S. Gray doesn't like to clean his rifle often because he says the solvents effect the meat.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

We are bringing cameras, so the plan is that one guy will be taking pictures while the rest are shooting. I have two rifles, a Rock River AR style varmint rifle and a Savage 12FV. Both in .223.

My plan is that I will shoot enough to heat up one barrel, set that one aside, do the same for the other, and then start taking pictures. The other three guys I am going with all have single shot H&R's (one 25-06, one .223, and one 22-250), so they won't heat up quite as fast.

Heading out on Mermorial Day weekend! Hopefully the dogs will be up in Western Nebraska. One of my buddies says he has seen quite a few, but not sure what that means in real terms.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
NeJack: Back when I could only afford a couple of Varmint Rifles (1970's) I would clean them every 40 - 50 shots (222's, 223's and 22-250's).
For the last several decades I have been shooting about the same number of shots but instead of stopping and cleaning I now simply switch Rifles - putting the dirty barrels away for the after sundown or after lunch cleaning sessions when I will clean 6 or 8 Rifles at once.
I think the more important issue that PD Hunters should be concerned about is not letting your barrels get hot and keep shooting them! I know you will be tempted to keep shooting them even when hot but don't!.
Hot barrels wear out significantly faster than cool barrels (comparing same number of shots down the tube!).
I am sure of the validity of this generalization.
If your barrel gets hotter than warm set it in the shade with the action open and the action opening facing the wind. Have the muzzle pointed to the sky so the chimney effect can help out with the flow of air up the barrel thus cooling the barrel quicker.
Shoot slow and be conscious of the barrel temps!
I don't think I have damaged any barrels by running them 50 - 60 shots without cleaning as long as the barrel temperatures were not excessive.
If you notice unexplained misses piling up after 30 or 40 shots then maybe you should stop and use your foam!
Try to keep the dust and grit of the prairies from adding up in the bolt lug area as well. I have a special bolt lug cleaning tool that I use for this area.
You would be surprised how much dusty, gritty, fine sand can accumulate here.
Have fun, keep em cool and shoot til you notice erratic bullet POI's (unexplained misses) then clean.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

What would you suggest for a semi auto like a RRA AR? I hadn't thought about dust getting into the action, and that will probably be an issue. Should I try to find a dry style lubricant?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 5 rounds and switch rifles and then clean when I get to 50 rounds.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, trade rifles/shooters often. This will help both your guns and your shooters.

Low capacity cases like .223's usually don't exhibit significant loss of accuracy (depending on the particular barrel and load) for a hundred or more rounds. As others have noted, you may not have to clean them all day.

Larger capcity cases like .220 Swift or .243 may need attention sooner. Lunch is a good time to run a couple of patches through those guns that need it.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Usually in the spring/early summer there is enough grass or moisture and you don’t have a problem with dust and grit. Hopefully that will be the case on your trip.

But it helps to keep your rifles up off the prairie. The most dust/grit gets in them when they are laying on the prairie on open gun cases. We close them up in cases or put them in the truck if the wind is kicking up dust.

My AR goes with me when we are on the ATVs, 4 wheeling into towns that are otherwise inaccessible, and can see some pretty dusty conditions. I keep the dust cover closed and have not had any problems.

We also keep a “community can†of WD-40 or similar liquid available in the back of the truck in easy reach.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pdhntr1 I like that avatar. I think I saw that dog doing that same trick last weekend! jumping

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NEJack: My old and good friend Irv Benzion always took along a tall can of compressed air on our Prairie Dog and Rock Chuck Safaris to aid in the function of his AR's. With the long tube attached at the cans nozzle he could "blow" out his action and lugs with the compressed air. He did this a couple times a day and at cleaning times as well.
I have NEVER owned an AR!
I am simply to cheap and to worried about "my brass" flying out on the ground and being lost - and such as that.
I have shot next to dozens of AR types in Ground Squirrel, Prairie Dog, Rock Chuck and Coyote Hunting situations.
And I know they are an effective, fun and accurate Varminting tool.
I just am to cheap to buy one and know I would get carried away slamming and banging afield with one of them.
So I am not the "word" on their care and upkeep afield at all.
Best of luck with your AR's as well on this upcoming venture.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I will bring a can of CO2 for blowing out any dust. Good idea!

As to the brass throwers, if you think an AR is bad my old Mini 14 would fling the dang brass at least 15 yards! I bought a small bag that attaches over the port to catch the brass. Since I have done that, no more problems finding spent cartriges.

The Rock River varmint AR keeps surprising me. I can't believe how accurate that ugly black gun shoots. While I generally shoot my bolt guns more, it is a very nice addition to the gun closet. Of course my wife hates it, but that is more due to the timing of buying it (9 months before the wedding) than it being a scary assault rifle. Not that you could "assault" much with a 24" bull barrel.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NEJack:
Not that you could "assault" much with a 24" bull barrel.
You most certainly can.

When you run out of ammo you can beat them with it!.

I clean mine when accuracy starts to fall off, or a couple rounds before the magic number.

Bore snakes do work very well and are portable, but are no substitute for a really good brush/patch/solvent cleaning.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
never - i clean that night, but I usually have 12-15 rifles and just keep switching when the barrel gets to hot

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I try to stop around 25 rounds, and some less aggressive calibers go to 50. I do not use moly, and value my Hart Barrels.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think everyone has pretty much covered the basis... I normally set up with 3 rifles... 2 in 223, and one for the long stuff in 22.250...

I switch back and forth between the 223s about every 15 shots... I set up 15 rounds on a load block that is actually the bottom plastic holder for factory 9mm rounds, that I pick up out of the trash can by the hundreds...they are handy as hell...and ya can't beat the price...

About every 50 rounds each rifle gets a bore snake ran thru it... If the shooting is that hot and heavy, I pull out the 10/22 or the CZ 452 and let the 223s cool off a little.. but setting up with 3 rifles, that is seldom a problem, especially when I am shooting Blue Dot loads, which take much longer to heat up the barrel since you are only burning half as much powder as a lot of other loads...

Good luck on your trip.. cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of Bore Snakes use it in the feild ever 50-100 rounds just depends on how many animals are around but the 233 accuracy good for 200 before lossing MOA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think one can shoot 100,000 rounds of 22 rimfire lead bullets at 1,200 fps and never clean the bore.

With moly coated 60 gr bullets and 13 gr Blue Dot, at 2,500 fps, and after 200 rounds, the cleaning patch looks like only one round was fired.

But start shooting 17 Rem un coated bullets at 4,000 fps, and you will need some Copper solvent.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice!

Just a little less than two weeks to go till the trip. Got my ammo all boxed up, cleaning supplies all packed, and I am trying to figure out if I forgot anything.

I only have to check my zero's one more time at the range, and then load up the truck for western Nebraska! Hopefully the weather will be good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glockmeister mentioned some temperature guages to put on the barrel. Good idea, however what would be the upper temp. level? Is there some other way to tell, like..... the barrel is too hot to hold....or..... too hot for the back of the hand. What do you guys do to judge if the barrel is getting too hot?

Posts: 109 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
good question P. steve. I always quit when it gest about as hot as a coffee cup. I also would like to know what others think.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glockmeister71:
I agree with VarmintGuy about the heat issue.I recommend these http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=RLC-50 .You'll need the 30-60C models(86-140F).I've used them and they work good.At $12/10 they're cheap as hell too.

Bought a set of ten and tried them out on the range Saturday. The strips work very well! Didn't heat the barrels up to the 140F mark, but it was nice to see just how hot the barrel was.

Just five more days till we take off for western Nebraska, I can hardly wait!

One of Us
Picture of glockmeister71
posted Hide Post
Hey,glad to hear it.If I remember correctly,as long as you keep it below 120 you'll be OK.

Posts: 145 | Location: Knoxville,TN. | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote