Notify
Tools

Rem 700 VSF
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of sako
posted
Anybody own one?
Im getting one LH 308 after two weeks and im just curious what you guys think of these rifles!

Ok butt ugly stock but will be painted black or camo! Razzer

Regards

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As much as I winge about rem 700's the heavy barrelled variety shoot great.

I had a vssf 22/250 which shot very well and have traded it on a .243 laminate but have added a HS stock.

Your .308 will be excellent put a good scope on it like a leupold VX11 4.5-14x50 or 8.5-25x50 in some Badger, nightforce or warne rings and you will be set up. I would like to add that gun to my kit.

With your rem you have evry possible part available at your doposal.

Triggers from Jewell, Rifle Basix, Canjar etc.

Have a look at the Brownells brochure to see all the goodies you can add.
Let us know how you set it up etc.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako: I have one of the Remington 700 VSSF Rifles in 220 Swift. My Rifle shoots great and I think it looks great. I settled on a load that gave me a best grouping of 5 shots at 100 yards that measured .399"! This with Varmint bullets and a Sightron 6x24 variable scope.
During load development all the test groups were under .743"! Most were in the 5's and 6's.
To tell the truth I think these Rifles are quite handsome and very pleasing to look at! Maybe (definitely) not beautiful like some custom Rifles but - pleasing to my eye.
And I know they are utilitarian. I sure hope your Rifle shoots for you!
Nice of the folks a Remington to offer a left hand Varminter type Rifle!
At a Gunshow I am attending here in Montana this weekend there were two Rifles in the 700 VSSF Models there. One was in 22-250 and it sold right away!
The other is in the Remington proprietary cartridge the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum! This 300 is without the doubt THE most picked up and fondeled Rifle at the Gunshow! Of course the show is in the heart of Elk country! I think this big 300 is called the Sendero stainless steel fluted. I will check on it tomorrow to be sure.
It did not sell Friday or today (Saturday) and if its there at the end of the show - Sunday afternoon, I may bid on it. I am doing two BIG Gunshows in the next two consecutive weekends. I may just buy it and turn it over to try and make a $50.00 or a $75.00 bill on it.
Also I want to make sure we are talking the same Model of Remington before I let you go.
Is your ordered Rifle a Varmint Special Fluted (blued model with fluted barrel - VSF - I am not sure if they make these?) or a VSSF like mine (Varmint Stainless Steel Fluted - VSSF - I know they make these.
Good luck with your new Rifle whichever style it is!
Long live Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy,

I could not risist the alure of the big .300 RUM and a have a rem 700 pss on lay away. Big Grin

Basically a vsf without the flutes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC: Good for you on the PSS! That should be a fun, interesting and useful project!
Myself I ended up buying a Remington 700 VLS in caliber 22-250 that a guy had rigged up for this PD season but then fell on hard times. This happens a lot in Montana - and thats a shame. Anyway the 700 VLS I got today has a Leupold 6.5x20 on it and is in mint as new unused condtion (bolt face is black, locking lugs are still black etc).
I did buy and then resell another Remington 700 this weekend. It was a Remington 700 BDL in caliber 300 Winchester Magnum. It had Leupold bases and rings and a Leupold scope on it. I made a $75.00 bill and a nice gun case on the buying, cleaning and then selling deal! That made the purchase of the 700 VLS even more delectable!
I can't wait to try out this new 700 VLS.
I did a trigger job on it this afternoon and it is now one of the sweetest, cleanest crispest Reminton triggers I have!
And that is saying a lot!
The big Remington 700 Sendero was still there when I left the show at 2:00 PM. I just did not have enough mad money to venture in on that deal.
Again good luck with the PSS!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmint guy get that sendenero as there not made now and either are the pss rums....you will regret it later on.....it's calling your name Big Grin

I want the .300 RUM for bigger varmint over the bonnet of the truck at longer range, I will sue 150 gr Nosler BT's as fats as I can drive them for maximum splat effect Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC: I will try to scrape together some more mad money and get on that rig's trail. I do have contact information for the owner. Thanks for the info on the Remington - I did not know it is no longer made.
Again good luck with the new Remington coming your way!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Thanks Varmintguy and PC for your replys!

Ive already stocked up on lapua cases and will start with 165 gr nos BT with vhit N-140!
will put a meopta 4-16*44tactic scope in warne rings on it and harris bypod ofcorse!

This will be my main gun for Arctic Foxes and seals up here and i think it will serve me well as such!

quote:
Also I want to make sure we are talking the same Model of Remington before I let you go.
Is your ordered Rifle a Varmint Special Fluted (blued model with fluted barrel - VSF - I am not sure if they make these?) or a VSSF like mine (Varmint Stainless Steel Fluted - VSSF - I know they make these.

They call it VSF ie,varmint sinthetic fluted with blued barrel!

Just cant wait until it arrives!

Regards
Ben Iceland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako,

keep us infromed on how it goes !!

Varmint Guy let us know ehen you pick you RUM up Big Grin

We will have to echange some RUM stories when they get all set up Big Grin.

one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Will do and hopefully post some pics too, think it will look pretty cool with that scope on! Cool¨

Regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako,

I will post some pics in the coming days of my new rem .243...it is the vls model but with a hs stock. I have put a 8.5-25 leupold on it in badger rings and base, and have added a rifle basix trigger I love it........I am a changed man you could not have given me a rem 700 2 months ago Red Face

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe BlackThis should take you to a pic of my Rem 700 243 in HS stock. Can't work out why Remington don't make them that way...

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awsome JB,

how do you like the Hakko scope ??

Can you give me a rundown on what model you have etc.

I heard there made in the same factory as Nightforce scopes.

one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Joe the VSF has an HS stock on it! Smiler

quote:
I will post some pics in the coming days of my new rem .243...it is the vls model but with a hs stock. I have put a 8.5-25 leupold on it in badger rings and base, and have added a rifle basix trigger I love it........I am a changed man you could not have given me a rem 700 2 months ago

Look forward to see some pics from you!
I myself aam more of a Sako fan but after shooting quite a few rems in last few months i really started to like them, specially the heavi ones as they are damn accurate and cost alot less then a heavy Sakos!

Ps, hope to get mine in next week so ill keep you posted!

Regards Ben
Iceland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako,

I will get off my ass and get those pics. Looking forwards to seeing yours as well........I am keen to add a .308 & 22/250 heavy rem as well. I just sold my 22/250 for the .243 but that was a stainless rem 700 and although it shot it was the most poorly finished factory rifle I have owned to date and I just never had a bond with it. This .243 rem looks as though it was made by a different company in comparison......ot's finished very well as is the .300 RUM pss I have on layaway.

Have you decided upon scope and mounts yet..... Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my new .243 win.

one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
PC,

Great rifle you got there in one of my favorite calibers, i own one sako L579 varmint in .243 and love it.
How do you like that scope?

My rem will either sport a leupold 6-20*44 or Meopta 4-16*44 tactical scope in warne rings!

Regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako only a dozen shots in with the .243 but that leupold 8.5-25x50 with Varmint Reticle is a much nicer scope to my eye than my older 6.5-20x40 I traded in on it.

I reckon the Meopta scopes would pretty good and probably a tougherbuild than a leupold.....I am not sure though.

What reticle does the Meopta have ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way Sako for heavy barreled Rem 700's I am in love with Badger bases & Rings !!

one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Well the new rem has arrived finally,already put meopta 3-12*50 scope on it and have loaded up some 165gr BT but too late to shoot today!

I must say the overall fit and finish is great, love the balance in my hands!

Btw Varmintguy the stock looks much better when i have it than on some pics!!

Will post tomorrowhow it shoots and hopefully post some photos too!

Regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, add one more to your 700 sendero vssf 300 rum group. Got mine about a year ago and absolutely adore it. Its topped with a Leupold 6.5-20X50 LRT. Mine shoots like its nobodys business as im sure most of them do. Shot a crow at 568yds with it this summer while doing a little work on the deer lease. Its also accounted for a couple deer out to 420yds this year. Absolutely love em. Best thing remingtons ever done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add that i have a .223 700 vssf topped with leupold 6.5-20X50 LRT. And in the past 2 weeks aquired a 700 VS in .243 win which im planning to put a 8.5-25X50 LRT on top of once i can scrounge the money. Hope the .243 will shoot like the other 2 heavy barreled 700s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RemLover:
I forgot to add that i have a .223 700 vssf topped with leupold 6.5-20X50 LRT. And in the past 2 weeks aquired a 700 VS in .243 win which im planning to put a 8.5-25X50 LRT on top of once i can scrounge the money. Hope the .243 will shoot like the other 2 heavy barreled 700s.

Do rem make the vs in .243 standard ??

I had to buy a vls and upgreade to a HS which cost me an extra $100 Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RemLover:
Hey guys, add one more to your 700 sendero vssf 300 rum group. Got mine about a year ago and absolutely adore it. Its topped with a Leupold 6.5-20X50 LRT. Mine shoots like its nobodys business as im sure most of them do. Shot a crow at 568yds with it this summer while doing a little work on the deer lease. Its also accounted for a couple deer out to 420yds this year. Absolutely love em. Best thing remingtons ever done.

Rem lover shame remington has stopped making the 300 RUM ina heavy barrel...I feel lucky to have gotton on to the pss .300 RUM I have on lay away !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

Remington does make the .243 vs standard, but they are extremely hard to find. Got lucky on this one. It is a shame they stopped making the heavy barreled 300 RUM. The good thing is you can find a good amount of them on gunbroker if you really want one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
how do you like the Hakko scope ??

Can you give me a rundown on what model you have etc.

I heard there made in the same factory as Nightforce scopes.
I sold the Hakko, and moved to a Leupold Mk 4 6.5-20*50.

The Hakko was ok. No real flaws, other than the turrets only having (from memory) 7 moa per turn, which didn't make much sense.

The Hakko was a 6-16*50.

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Well i finally got my Meopta 4-16*44 and put it on my Remington and went off to the range to test!

Started with 150gr sierra FMJ to sight in the scope wich took only some 10 shots as it was really close! Went on to test the 165gr ballistic tip loaded with 43gr of N-140 in lapua cases at 2,800" col, the first five shot group went a little under an inch at 100 meters and the second too wich im pretty happy with as these are the first loads!
Well as i had plenty of the 150gr fmj ammo i desided to try a group at 100 meters with them.
The first group got me totally by suprise with all 5 touching in a neat little hole roughly measured around .300"!
Did try another 5 shot group but at 200 meters that roughly measured ,750"!!!
I really have never seen an accurate FMJ load and thought it was not possible due to bullet construction so im so damn pleased with this i just dont know where to start! Smiler
Well as to the rifle im just really impressed in all ways exept the trigger is a bit too heavy although i have tveaked it as low as i think safe! The fit and finish is great and recoil is much lower than i expected!

Varmint regards
Ben

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys and your Remmy's clap I can't say enough for them as varmit rigs. This one started out life as a 700 VS and then the mods started. The stock is a B&C 2091 BR/Tactical full bedded with pillars.Trigger is set at a crisp 2.5 lbs(could use a bit more tweaking) Harris 9X13 bi-pod,Hardline tappered 20 moa 1 pc base by Ken Farrel,the rings are 30mm by MSP (low), Eagle scope cover and muzzle cover, Eagle stock pack,TIS M-24 sling, Tactical extended bolt knob.The scope is a LR/T 6.5-20X50 mil-dot.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote