New
Find
Notify
Tools

shot, range and effectiveness
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was thinking about getting some 22lr. shot shells for ground squirrels. how effective have you found this to be and what is the range of effectiveness. how do you think the spread would work using it in a little single action revolver?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dont waste your money very ineffective.I will tell you what I have that works.I load 44 mag carttridges w/sppeer shot shell components using 7 1/2 shot.I have kille gophers at ranges up to 20ydsw/7 1/2 inch barrel.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience is that it does not work at all. I have tried it from a 10" barreled pistol & a lever action rifle.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
.22 LR shot shells are very good for dragonflys and butterflies at ranges up to 6 feet.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Very small rodents to about 12 - 15 feet, Browning takedown rifle.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have not tried them in many years but as a young death dealer my Uncle agreed to pay me $.05 for every starling I could get. I used the crimped shot type shot shells rather than the CCI's with the blue caps, and they worked like a champ to about 15 yards or so. On gophers they had to be a bit closer.

As Gophershooter said though, for better effectiveness go to a larger bore. I have used the .357 Mag loaded for snakes to kill gophers. And I can niether confirm nor deny thier use on rattle snakes here. Been told they're protected. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote