-

-

-

-

[ 07-24-2003, 03:04: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
What a fine shooting iron!!! How well does it do and how far out? Any photos of dogs be gone?
Jeff

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Thanks.

Just got him sighted in. Groundhogs where I'm at - almost never a shot presented past 350 yards.

Almost unfair innit? [Razz]

Pics as I kill 'em. [Big Grin]

Mike TBC

posted Hide Post
Just curious...What kind of bases are those?

Posts: 11 | Location: Texas | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Birth Controller: Beautiful looking Rifle and set up you have there! I have been taken with the very attractive Remington 700 VLS-SA's since they came out last year! I want one really bad! The trouble is I have several Rifles already in all the calibers that this new model comes in! I saw several of these Models yesterday here in Montana as I went on a business and shopping trip to Missoula! I went to 5 sport shops on my trip. The price is starting to come down around here on this Model! It had been at $699.00 for months and now I see them below $650.00. There is one here in Dillon, Montana in caliber 223 Remington that has been offered to me for $620.00! I already have 3 Varmint Rifles in 223 Remington caliber and 2 Varmint pistols in 223 so I am still debating! If I could get it for $550.00 I would jump on it!
I simply just love the looks of this model and I hope that Remington continues to produce them!
I hope your Remington gives you service and accuracy as good as it looks!
I have 2 of the Leupold 6X18 variables on Varmint Rifles and they have performed flawlessly for me!
In answer to someones question those look like Burris bases and the floating center Burris rings to me! First class set-up! Good for you! Please get back to us when more accuracy or load development tests are completed!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I know what my next rifle is gonna be. I love the stock. Did it come with that stock or did you put it on? I haven't seen that color in the VLS. How is it shooting for you?

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Technically good photographs from the standpoint of lighting and focus, but I notice small, white flakes of dust or something similar on the surfaces around the scope. Just my observations. Happy hunting. When my lefty MRC finally comes into being, I'll post shots of it and you can comment then.
Yes, those bases do look like the Posi-line offerings from Burris. Too bad they don't come in stainless. Volquartsen offers bases in stainless, either blackened or natural, for those of you looking.

[ 07-25-2003, 17:15: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beer Drinker,

They are Burris Bases w/their Signature rings.

[ 07-26-2003, 06:50: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you ... [Smile]

Here is a "range report". [Cool]

Went to my local range this morning. Nice and sunny, mid 70's

We have a nice club here, just a couple miles out of town. Indoor and outdoor ranges - about 325 members. The Outdoor is set in a big depression, natural backstops all around.

Might sound some silly, but I love the "sound" of this outdoor range. Just a real wicked "crack" and echo off the rifles!

One - Two and 300 yard firing lines ... Sporting Clays / Trap - HighPower competion (huge operating Target "Pit") - A National Sub-Machine Gun event - IHMSA, IPSC, "Bowling Pin", Speed Plates - just about everything has been shot here over the years. It's not real fancy, but it's a good ways better than nuttin'. :-)

Here's where I hang out -

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=3840032

and ...

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=3840014

and ...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/9149/BHDGO-Bench.jpg

Ran through some factory ammo I had. The PMC stuff was the best for me ...

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=3838812

The next pic shows the VLS as I shot off a new Uncle Bud's Bull Bag. Just didn't work for me. Very nicely made and looks great, but ...

It's just a little longer than the distance between the Bi-pod and the trigger guard. Totally unmanageable for me. It was either crammed into the pod or interfered with my tigger hand and bolt operation - a real nightmare.

I also sadly missed the rear bag I used to use. I'm a "bag squeezer" ... meaning I like to squeeze around on the back bag with my "off" hand. Looks like I might spring for one of those fancy front rests I see. Expensive as all get out, but ...

Anyway, here's the pic ...

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=3839994

Shot another group I took a scan of --- Hornady factory 40 VMax --- Funny how this one went. 1st shot was the bottom left one. 2nd was the bottom right. (Ugg, I thought) Then the 3rd went in over the 1st and the 4th went in over the 2nd! Two "doubles"!

So I'm thinking ... put the 5th one in between, doofus. Dang if I didn't luck out and do just that. Hee hee.

No BR shooter is going to be afraid of me - I shake the crosshairs too much to shoot *anything* really well - but it WAS fun to shoot this group.

And, not to mention I probably need glasses. It's all I can do to see the "four little white squares" at 100 yards. I'd like to find some 200 yard BR targets to print out that have the larger "aiming box" ... I'm sure they'd help a lot.

So, here's the target ....

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=3838803

I was glad the rifle showed some potential. (with me at the controls, no less!) It has a "one dollar clearance" under the length of the barrel that I'll probably open up some more. And the trigger's too heavy for me, but I hate to risk going lower on the pull pounds (it feels like 2.5 - 3#)

Anyone have a Jewell Hunting trigger? The HVR is it? :-)

A hand load ought to do it wonders, though. My RCBS outfit is due here in a couple days - can't wait to shoot some of my own stuff.

Thanks for reading. I'll leave you with this cool view. Looking down range ...

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=3840050

[ 07-27-2003, 08:43: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jethro,

Came with that stock.

TBC

one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have a great place to shoot!!!
Jeff

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Yeah, not bad. [Smile]

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Birth Controller: Thanks for all the great pictures and your explanations! I am glad the Remington is shooting so well for you!
A good Gunsmith can adjust your factory trigger down to two pounds and be very crisp at the same time! $25.00ish is the norm for that adjustment.
I think your rig is performing VERY well as is. Yes some handloads and a trigger job (or a Jewell!) and I bet you can get a 5 shot group on a calm day under .400" with that Rifle! And I might add you are doing so well with the current manufactured Rifle some folks like to berate! Remington! Good for you and hooray for Remington!
Remington's keeps performing so well for me - despite the few naysayers!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy ...

Thanks for the kind words! [Smile]

I just ordered a Jewell HVR trigger for my .22-250 VLS-SA

-

A good 14 - 16 oz trigger pull with handloads of H380 and some 52 Grain Sierras ought to do the trick. [Big Grin]

Long Live Jewell / Remington. [Cool]

Mike TBC

[ 07-27-2003, 11:24: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Birth Controller: Amen to Jewell and Remington for their products and innovations!
I have several Jewell triggers and they are the epitome of what a superb trigger should be! I only wish I could afford to put them on all my Remington and Winchester Varmint Rifles!
By the way the Jewell is also available with an "underlever" safety. This underlever safety (once the trigger is installed) is located inside the trigger guard of your Rifle! The operating lever of the safety is positioned just in front of the trigger when "on safe". Then by moving it forward to the fire position you can now fit your trigger finger on the trigger! I had one installed on a custom 6mm BR Varminter I had made on a Remington XP-100 single shot action! I really like this set up and its double safe and convenient!
Yes those Sierra 52's are extremely accurate! I quit using them for Varmints though years ago because of their ricochet prone-ness! I now use the Berger 52 grainers and the Speer 52 gran Hollow Point Flat Base bullets for accuracy and frangibility!
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy