Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy 6mm bullets on coyotes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted
Well, I'm looking at trying to get started hunting coyotes again (central Washingtong state, formerly from western Nebraska). Current gun is a Ruger 77MKII VT in .22-250. I've had some 'issues' with that gun and factory ammo, so one option is handloading and just going for it with that.

On the other hand, I'm kind of a Remington 700 fan and there seems to be at last count a decent selection of used Rem700VLS's in .243 Win or 6mm Rem around here. I'm fairly actively involved in NRA HighPower, so I'm looking at how a heavy-for-caliber bullet (95-115gr)@3000-3100fps would perform on coyotes as opposed to a lighter pill (55-60gr) running at warp speed i.e. 3800-3900fps. Obviously, I want something that is going to terminate Wile E. on contact, but I would like to gain as much wind advantage and retain as much long range punch as possible. The 9-1/8 twist on would be a bit borderline depending on the bullet weight and velocity but may be doable.

Anybody here using such a combination?

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had pretty good luck with both the 85gr HPBT and the 100gr SBT sierra gamekings. They both will do a heck of a job on whitetails too. The 100 gr bullet doesn't expand too much on coyotes if you miss the large bones.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I compromise I've been using a 70gr Berger MEF boattail. With a max load of Varget works in my 700 vs 6mm rem. Haven't knocked a yote with it yet, but the MEF is supposed to be very explosive.

Steve

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Monte- out of curiousity what type of range is the far end of what you're thinking about shooting with this combo?

Thx

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a very large coyote last year with a 80gr Berger MEF out of a .243 with 34 grs Varget. He didn't move a inch and just fell down. I think the entire bullet blew up inside him. Range was 130 yards. Rather than go for the really heavy target bullets that might or might not give you a clean kill and might not stabilize in your twist I would look at the Berger 90 gr MEF boattail. Has a decent BC and would really do the job when you connect. I'm like you and the super light bullets just leave me cold if a long range shot happens to come up. One more you might look at is the Noser 95 BT. But I'm like you in wanting to go "heavy"...I'm going to get some of those new .224 Seirra's 65 gr just to see if they will shoot in my 1-12 .223! FNMauser

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 95 Noz Bt for years in my 6/06 in runs along at 3500 and it works wonder for yotes far and near.

While I've not used that bullet in a 243 or a 6 on coyotes I gotta believe it would work quite well.

Once again what is the ranges you guys are calling long and are worried about the lightweights?

Thx

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my view the medium / heavy 6mm bullets would be the best performers as the range streches out , so I would be trying the 85 to 90 gr boatails like the 87 gr V-max , which could be pushed to around 3400 fps and has a b.c. of about 0.400 . Such a load makes the 6mm Rem equal to a 25/06-100 gr load in trajectory and wind bucking for all practical purposes........

I think the very heavy 100 gr+ match bullets would only be preferable if you are looking to shoot out at around the 1000 yard mark......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I've used the 90 gr Sierra FMJBT's with 50 grains of H4831 in my 243 for coyotes for years. The bullet bucks the wind well, and so long as you don't hit the should bones doesn't make too much of a mess out of them. I've never had one get away after being hit with this load.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both a .243Win. and a newer Remington VLS in 6mm Rem.
I only shoot handloads and use the Sierra 85gr. HPBT in both my rifles. It's deadly enough and certainly accurate.
I suppose a Nosler 70gr Bal. Tip would do nicely as well, but I've only used them at the range. I think Sierra is the way to go. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information guys. As for the range I'm looking at... seems like I run across a fair number of 'target-of-opportunity' coyotes, i.e. transitting from point A to point B, see them a couple hundred yards off, and by the time everything comes to pass, they are a ways out there, lets just toss out.. 450+yds by rangefinder, and not coming in any closer. Further than I've been comfortable taking a poke at them w/ a .223 (55gr @ 3200fps) or .220 Swift (55gr bullet @ 3900fps), between the wind and remaining energy.

After running the numbers on a variety of bullet weights at supposed 6mm velocities, it looks like the medium-heavy (85-95gr) weights offer the most 'advantage' depending on your take. Give up a bit of drop (<10%), pick up about 20-30% less wind drift, darn near double the impact energy.

What's not to like?

Thanks,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 6AI that shoots the Horn. 87 gr. BTHP quite well-- .5-.75 MOA to a calm 800 yds., but the only reason i picked it over their V-Max was because i couldn't get the V-Max to shoot. That .4 BC is mighty good for a std. twist 6mm bullet. If i ever get another slower twist 24 cal. for coyotes-- that's the 1st bullet i'll try. Mark, or one of the other guys above is shooting a 6-06-- and with that sleek pill on board i bet it'd be tuff to beat way out there.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 41rem
posted Hide Post
Boy, talk about great timing!! I'm just out the door to buy some yote/target bullets for my new 243. I was going to get the 65 or 75 gr. V-max, think I'll look @ the 87 gr. now...41

Posts: 54 | Location: Hurricane Ridge, Wa. | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to your local gunshop, to the shelves that contain .243 dia. bullets. Close your eyes and point, there you have a real coyote thumper. All 6mm bullets kill coyotes very dead.
I used mostly 75gr. Sierra & Hornady HPs, but also alot of 85gr.-90gr. bullets.

Hi Mark Dob., I'am back amoung the living. Even back to work. If you would like to see my smiling face and a bunch of predator calling pictures go to HuntAmerica.com, get on the varmint & predator forum and look for the thread- A Lifetime of Predator Calling. Pedro

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Pedro- it is great to hear from you, I'll go over to HA tonight after church.

Hope all is well in your camp!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz