THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Savage 12VLP .204 Ruger Range Report

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 12VLP .204 Ruger Range Report
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
These are some of the test loads and targets I tried at the range on Thursday, August 12, 2004. Sorry these are so late, but I've been busy reloading, shooting, playing golf, and getting back to my regular job!!

All shots were taken at 100 yards from a front rest and rear sandbag. I use Remington 7 1/2 primers, had twice fired Hornady brass and weighed every charge. One of the test loads with the 32 gr. V-Max and BL-C(2) powder was done using CCI BR-4 primers. Those loads ran about 100 fps faster than the same powder charge using the Remington 7 1/2 primer.

These are the stepladder type loads with each casing having a slightly heavier charge of powder than the previous one. I tested 5 different powders with the 32 gr. V-Max bullets that day and here are the targets with shot numbers by each hole and the little table showing the shot numbers, powder charges, and velocities.

These next two wouldn't fit in the first picture, so I will place them here. Note the warning message at the bottom of the Winchester 748 table and target!!!

The next tables and targets are from my tests with 4 different powders using the 40 gr. V-Max bullet and Rem 7 1/2 primers. All shots were taken with a front rest, rear sand bag off a cement bench at 100 yards using twice fired Hornady brass and I weighed every charge.

The last picture is for the tables and targets I shot using 35 gr. Berger FB HP bullets with Rem 7 1/2 primers.

When I get a little more time, I'll put together a report with tables, target pics, etc. of my trip to the range on Friday the 13th. I DID have a little bad luck that day, but I did NOT suffer any injuries!!! I also have a report I'm working on from my last trip to the range on August 17th.

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, why did you shoot groups with different powder charges? Were you just trying to chrono velocities, or trying to see if different velocities would have any effect on accuracy? What kind of groups are you getting using the same powders and bullets and what is your best load? The reason I ask is that I just bought the same rifle and would like a good starting point.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neverflinch--When I was doing this testing I had no load data from anywhere. I was extrapolating loads by looking at Tac 20 loads and trying to figure out what might work in my .204 Ruger. So my main reason for shooting test loads with different powder charges was to find out what velocities those charges might give me. In some cases I was dangerously high with my powder charges and was fortunate to keep all my fingers, both eyes, etc.

Back in the late summer of 2004, during all of 2005, and on and off this year I have posted the information you ask about regarding best loads in my rifle for the 32 gr. V-Max, 35 gr. Berger, 39 gr. Sierra, and the 40 gr. Berger. I am currently working on loads for the 32 gr. Sierra and the 40 gr. Nosler BT. I did a lot of posting on the old SavageShooters board, but I think they may have lost the old posts from 2004 and maybe even some from 2005. I also posted lots of load information on the Predator Master's board, and The Texas Predator Posse Board. Some of my load data is published in an online "20 Caliber Cartridge Guide" which can be found at this link: 20 Cal Cartridge Guide

Another Board that is dedicated to the .204 Ruger caliber is the RugerHunting Board. They have a hyperlink up at the top right hand side (second button from the right side) that gives you access to the load data from several powder companies and bullet companies. Here's a link to that home page: .204 Ruger Board and Load Data

So, I'm not trying to avoid your questions, I am just going to point you to places where you can do some research on your own and read about loads that work for dozens and dozens of shooters. The load data listed at the RugerHunting board from Hodgdon is a very good place to start. They list starting and maximum loads and their data is pretty good. I will tell you that H4895, AA2520 and Benchmark have worked well for me with a variety of bullet weights.

I am currently testing VV N-135 powder with the 32 gr. Sierra and the 40 gr. Nosler BT and it shows some promise. I have also tested and did use Reloder 10X with the 39 gr. Sierra, BUT I found that the burn rate of Rel 10X varied considerably from lot to lot and I am not going to use Rel 10X because of that lack of consistency. Other reloaders have had good luck with H322, Varget, N-140, AA2230-C (I think that is a surplus powder), and even Winchester 748 showed some promise in my rifle.

Good luck in your quest to find loads for your rifle. Just start about at the midpoint between the starting load and the maximum loads and work your way up. Always keep careful watch for excessive pressure signs. I'd also recommend using a primer with a thick cup. The three primers that have thick cups are the Remington 7 1/2, CCI 450, and CCI BR-4. Keep us posted on your progress.

Catch ya L8R

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your help, and I'll keep you posted.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote