Find
Notify
Tools

.260 Rem for distance
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I'm not quite ready with my .260 project yet but I'm shopping for projectiles for it and wondered which one is best for me. I'll be shooting 30-70 pound critters from close to probably no more than 400 yards. What will give me the best ballance of speed and staying flat. I don't care about the fur.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NBH,
i'd say buy some 95 grain V-MAX''S they should do you proud and keep you smileing!
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 95 Vmax, 100 Ballistic tips and 100 Sierras with very good luck.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nosler 100-120 BTs or the 95 V max...which ever shoots best in your 260.....

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with a Berger, I shoot the 110 grain and the 135 grain MEF's out of my 308, very accurate!

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
oh that is an easy one...

I don't like the 95 grain V Max at all...I'd pick the 100 grain B/Tip or the 100 grain Sierra HP over it any day.. even the 100 grain Hornady SP...

another often overlooked 'goodie' is Speers 90 grain TNT...

"the load"....

43.5 grains of IMR 4064,... 3350 fps out of a 22 inch barrel in my Ruger with a 100 grainer... 3400 with the 90 grainer... 3450 with the 100 grainers out of my 26 inch VLS Rem and 3500 with the 90 grain TNT out of the 26 inch barreled Rem VLS...

Varget and RL 15 will give you similar velocity potential...but the 4064 was so accurate in all three of my rifles.. well lets say, I didn't have to explore a lot.. as nothing was improving on it...

Recoil is light enough also, I have taken several deer at 300 yds, and the recoil was light enough, I watched both deer drop within the scope.. which was a Luepold 3 x 9 set on 4 power each times... ( target dot reticle)...
scope was zeroed for 3 inches high at 100 yds...

exploded a few Montana prairie dogs at 500 yds with the same load in the VLS, with a 5 x 15 Scope on that one...I took it along for just a few shots, to see what it would do...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I vote Bergers for long range.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Eeker120 grain HPBT Sierra Match King in a better designed 6.5 cartrige than the short necked, shallow throated .260. shockerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I am on the same page as Utah. Personnaly, I like the 100 gr NBT for the critters you're talking about. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
100gr Nosler BT with 41.5gr Varget. Neck sized Remington brass and Federal 210M primers with an OAL of 2.84".

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

To be fair, I don't have a 260 Remington yet. I do have a 6.5-284 and 6.5/06 and a friend of mine has a 6.5 Swede. We all hand load and our bullet of choice is the 140gr hornady Amax. ALL my long range varmint rifles are built around the Amax bullet. I'm talking out to 1000yds.

I did some load testing with 1 gallon water bottles at 500 meters. With my 6mm Ackley, the 70gr TNT.s did pretty good. The 70gr Sierra Blitzkings did better, but the 105gr Amax's were awesome. It made a beleaver out of me that the heavier bullets work much better at the longer ranges. The 140gr - 142gr 6.5 caliber bullets are the bullets of choice for the 1000yd benchrest shooters. In my opinion, the 140gr Amax is the best of both worlds. Fine target bullet and excelent varmint bullet. The only down side is you'll need a 1-8" twist barrel to stabalize this bullet. Most comerical 6.5's have a 1-9" twist. Good for up to 120gr bullets.

Catch you later,

The Big Dog

The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 100gr. Sierra HP with 4831SC in my Kimber .260. They work great and are very accurate.

"Isn't it pretty to think so."

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't like the 95 grain V Max at all...

seafire2, might I ask why? I value your opinion on such subjects. I live close enough to Sierra that I can occaisionally go there and pick up the 100 grain bulks, but I also have some v-maxes.

Thanks.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Larry,

don't ask me why, but for accuracy, the least accurate bullet in all of my 6.5 bores has been the 95 grain V Max..

I am clueless as to why, as I have gone thru a bunch of them with a bunch of powder combinations in ALL of my 6.5 bores... and just about any other bullet I have tried works better than they do for accuracy...so the 100 grainers or the 90 grain TNT does the work that one would assign to it..

V Maxes shoot great in about any other caliber I shoot them in... it is just that one bullet in that one bore, that just doesn't follow accuracy patterns...

So I just shoot a lot of the 100 grain Ballistic Tips instead...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. They are the only ones I haven't tried yet.

Larry