THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Any Coyote hunters here? need some advice.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Coyote hunters here? need some advice.
 Login/Join

<heavy varmint>
posted
New to Coyote hunting and need some advice on which electronic caller to purchase for eastern coyotes.

<.>
posted
Learn to call them in with the "horns" and "reeds" . . . Then you'll have an idea what to look for in an electronic system. But you may also find that you enjoy the process of becoming a skilled "caller" . . .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Genghis,
The only problem is low/educated population.
I have been trying for several years and have had tracks comeing in but have yet to see a critter(Fox or yote) I have been dive-bomber by a Red-tail hawk so I know I am doing it correctly.
I agree with you in that learning to call makes sense but I don't have an experienced hunter that I know so I am left to my own devices and it's tough when sucess is so hard, to even know what you are doing incorrectly.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello:
Pardon me for asking, but why the electronic call, or are you hunting bionic coyotes? I've hunted the little furry beasts for years with simple blow calls and never had a problem. It,s sometimes really entertaining to watch them approach you. One time I spotted one climbing on a round bale 300 yards out trying to get a better look at me. I wouldn't waste my money. besides, in a lot of places electronic calls are illegal. As well, where is the sport left in this? The calling part after all is part of the game.
Griz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan,
Looks like they have some nice information.

One that I found and like(remembered it after looking at your link) is
Predator Masters

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a New Mexican, but grew up in PA. I often think of how I would do it if I ever, god forbid, have to move back to PA. One tip I'll give you, is to try an E.L.K. Inc Power Howler. Locate some 'yotes by howling at the crack of dawn. Atleast you'll know if you are wasting time hunting in an area with lttle or no coyotes. I know there are arguments about pack size on the East coast. Believe me if there are 3 yotes in 5 square miles, they are probably together and made up of an extended family. you'll waste too much time trying to canvas the entire 5 square looking for them all.

I shoot truckloads of them every winter and tip number 2 is that you can't give them too much noise. They'll hear you if you are calling into a thicket 500 yards away with moderate air flow(mouth call). If they're in there and want to come in, they will. Increase the air flow and try to blow the reed out after that. Not good for foxes, but better for the 'yotes.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<schapman43>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
Hello:
Pardon me for asking, but why the electronic call, or are you hunting bionic coyotes? I've hunted the little furry beasts for years with simple blow calls and never had a problem. It,s sometimes really entertaining to watch them approach you. One time I spotted one climbing on a round bale 300 yards out trying to get a better look at me. I wouldn't waste my money. besides, in a lot of places electronic calls are illegal. As well, where is the sport left in this? The calling part after all is part of the game.
Griz

Pardon me for asking, but why blow calls? Are you hunting wood or plastic coyotes? Theres no difference. You are both using devices to call an animal. If you were to do it completely naturaly you would have to trap bunnies, take them to the field, injure them somehow and wait for the yotes.

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schapman43: Pardon me for asking, but why blow calls? Are you hunting wood or plastic coyotes? Theres no difference. You are both using devices to call an animal. If you were to do it completely naturaly you would have to trap bunnies, take them to the field, injure them somehow and wait for the yotes.[/QB]
I heard it was even more fun to take the wife's spoiled brat cat out on a leash, tie it
next to a bush, and let him call for her.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote