THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Coyote Howling: Who makes a good mouth call?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyote Howling: Who makes a good mouth call?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who makes a good mouth-blown coyote howler and what is your calling technique?

I have used electronic howling calls for coyotes with good success, but I would like to try a mouth howler. I sold my electronic call b/c it was just too much to pack around the hills and the tape just repeated itself over and over.

I have been using a rabbit call for a while, but it just doesn�t bring them in as fast and furious as the howl tapes I used before. Also, I have noticed that rabbit calls seem to be less effective and howling more effective during the Nov. - Dec. months when coyotes are pairing up for breeding. Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

Any other thoughts on howling coyotes?

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Power Howler is an excellent caller.
Very easy to use, sounds great.
I think E.L.K. industries makes it. Not sure, do a search under power howler and it should come up.

Yes during late Dec and Jan the howler works great.
I just howled one in yesterday. Blew the howler twice and 5 minutes later a coyote came trotting in.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been beaten to the punch.....hands down the E.L.K. Power Howler. Tried most of the open reed, plastic, horn type. None as relistic as this one. I mainly use it to locate, not experienced as a "howler" yet. Yotes too thick to use one here. I called in 8 this morning and blasted 5. Saw two others from the road. I quit to "leave seed" at 10:00.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
ELK power howler hands down nothing compares to it. Me and my buddy have one, the sound is so friken real sounding that it is kinda spooky when we do a set up and I can't see my buddy, because I seriously can't tell if it is my buddy or a real coyote. Also ELK makes a handy little sqeeker that you can attach to your gun sling, so when you call um in just give it a couple sqeeks sounds like a kids toy almost, and it will stop um so you can get the shot off, or in some cases we have called in coyotes with the sqeeker by it self. mouth calls are lighter and much more portable. I wouldn't do it any other way

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, sounds like the E.L.K. Power Howler is the one to get. I am going to order one...hopefully I will get it in time to try this weekend.

Here is the link in case anyone else is interested:
http://www.elkinc.com/GAMECALLS_ph.aspx

Thanks for the info!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did get the call in time for the weekend. I also bought a video, which helped. I had time for a quick hunt this morning�

I set up above a grass flat surrounded by oak hills. I howled twice right at first light and 8 minutes later I saw a bobcat through my binoculars leaving the flat at 450 yards. I tried a few short calls on the rabbit call, but the cat slipped into the oaks. I just sat there wondering if there was any way to get up on the cat. I kept glassing the oaks hoping to see the bobcat, but nothing. 21 minutes into my stand a coyote appeared on the other side of the flat at 600 yards or so. He was coming straight for me at a quick trot. He held up at 350 yards (I had a laser rangefinder) and started mousing around a little depression in the grass. I gave this softer yipping coyote call. That did it. He started trotting right for me again. There was a game trail at 260 yards that he stopped at before crossing. I was already laying prone and, now 28 minutes into my stand, I made a clean 1-shot kill.

So, there you have it. I really like this E.L.K. Power Howler! Thanks for the advice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go FixedPower! I also ordered a power howler since I've been struggling to get really good howls with a Dan Thompson howler. I cannot believe how good/easy the E.L.K. Howler is...I won't get out until rifle deer season is over here tomorrow..hopefully I'll make some sets over the the turkey day weekend, and will report in....

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i use my elk howler the most. it works....  -

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New ELK howler showed up in mail today.....this one is easy to use and sounds great to my ears, hope to give this a try next week.
Have tried a few other never sounded like I thought they should

Posts: 178 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend and I had our best day coyote hunting last Sunday. We saw 17 coyotes and we killed 6. Some were howled in and some were spotted in our field just before we started to howl. We also spotted a pack of five up on a grazed hill and put a stalk on them but only got one. I shot first at one one bedded (it was curled up in a ball like a cold dog) at 271 yards and got him. The rest bolted instantly. My friend was ready, but had a tough shot and missed. We were hoping that we were far enough away that the rest of the pack would hesitate to locate the sound before running off. It didn't happen.

I really like my E.L.K. Power Howler. I have only had it a short time and already have credited several coyotes with it.

Now is "prime time" for howling coyotes and I plan to take advantage of the season.

Good howling!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent results "mouth calling" by using my mouth! I read about the technique long ago and with a little effort perfected it and discovered it's possible for a person to sound better than any commercial call I ever found.

Where this technique REALLY shines is getting the varmits in close as it's so easy to put a lot of "emotion and pathos" into the sounds that really drives critters up the wall.

Anyone interested in how can PM or email me and I'll tell ya how....for free. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Critter call for years for this-it works fine by me. I am a calling nut so will have to find one of these Elk howler things that has people fired up-always ready for a new call for the bag.

Thanks for the tip

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Critter Call, they are great! If you practice a little they sound just like a coyote. Come in three sizes also.

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Z-I love the Critter call_I've used it for yotes/foxes/deer/elk/lopes and to call in a bunch on bruins--for a open reed call it is a excellent one-if I could only have one call in my pocky this would be the one.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Try the Yote Buster call. It's very easy to use and can made a lot of different sounds.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote