THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    How long since you killed a varmint?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long since you killed a varmint?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I swerved to hit him, but the raccoon sped up and got away from my car tonight.

I did shoot a squirrell in the yard last week with a .177 pellet rifle.

I do have rat poison in my crawl space.

But my kill rate is downFrowner

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
About 9 hours ago. I took a day off from work to help the rancher who's land I shoot on do some tractor work.

Got some ground squirrels and jack rabbits.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8-9 days ago, early Sunday AM had corned the roads at my deer lease Spotlighted and Shot 3 coons w/ 45 acp while riding on 4/wheeler. Sunday night corned the roads again and shot 8 hogs w/ 2 buds between 8 pm and 2;30 am using 45-70 and 30-30 marlins.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3 days ago I got a woodchuck at 65 yards with a 22-250ai. It has been windy since or I would hopefully gotten more between then and now

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
How many woodchucks did you kill with a Peterbilt today? Me=1. LOL(Rolling through upstate New York)

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it has been a month or so since I had some friends down from Seattle to shoot some sage rats....

Gotta see if they wanna come down again before the season is over...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last October.
Next PD hunt? This coming october jumping

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
I have been in a drought, and desperate! So, I
was sitting on the front porch, last Sunday
evening, enjoying a quiet moment with the wife,
near sunset, and about 120 yards out, on the far
corner of the meadow, two rabbits hop out into
the open. My wife hates rabbits, especially
those that end up in her garden. As soon as the
rabbits were spotted, I quietly run for the one
of the home defense weapons, an AR-15 M4. I
grab the mag, loaded with 55 gr. BTs, and get
back to the porch. The garden munchers have
fled to the tall grass. So I charge the rifle,
and lean it in the corner. A few minutes later,
out hops one of the rabbits. I steal my wifes
footrest, for a shooting chair, and use the
porch rail, for the rest. The 120 yard shot,
vaporized the rabbit head, to where there was a
tuft of fur, with a couple of ears on it, and
that was it for the head. My wife didn't want
to see the carcass, but she was happy about one
less garden muncher. It was a small relief from
my chuck drought. The real killer in this
event was when I came back on the porch, and
sat down. I said, "Nice head shot at 120
yards, huh?". And Her Highness looked over
at me, and said, "You had a scope". I didn't
imnpress her at all.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Made a trip out to the farm 10 days ago to work on farm equipment.....once that was done shot pds for a few hours. June 11th

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30 minutes ago!!

I hit an average sized male at 135 yards with a Ruger in 220 Swift!

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Killed 30 P-dogs on the 18th of June. Had a great day only took 64 rounds I had left of my .22 WMR to get the job done. Any day I'm shooting sub MOP-Dog and hit close to 50% out to 200yds is a good day.

Picture of NorthTexan
posted Hide Post
I went out a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately the fire ants were out so bad I couldn't ever stay set up for more than five or so minutes. Mad

Posts: 32 | Location: Woodson, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Yesterday. 4 of us went p-doggin at Seligman. Shot more jackraggits than p-dogs! Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot 18 woodchucks yesterday 12 with my 22 hornet out to 200 yards 6 with my 22-250 longest shot 605 yards

Posts: 94 | Location: Orwell,New York | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Taylor...........if you'd had a 17HMR it would have been mor fun!! "17HMR will make a 22MAG obsolete!!!" ............GHD!!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fireball, Just went with a friend "chucking"(actually on 4/22/06) who was diagnosed with a maliignant brain tumor and "we can keep this in check but there is no cure!!!" diagnosis!! He shot a groundhog at 605 yards with his BDL stainless, .223, topped with his trusted LEUPOLD M8 12X with friction adjustments!!! He was lying on the ground with that rifle on a Harris BiPod and he said to me." Charlie........I think I dialed wrong on that last groundhog!!!" And then hadded...................."But they've already cut out part of my brains!!!!!".........GOTTA LOVE IT FOLKS!!! Ya'll been here done that yet!!! yet I said, "Go to what you think is right for 500 and I'll spot!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie...
thanks for sharing and let your buddy know that his health is in our prayers among his fellow varmint hunters here on AR!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been waaay too long for me - March, I think; missed an easy shot at a fox. Then I started working a second job, and now it's just too hot. As much as I love shooting, I don't feel much like sitting out in 110°+ heat in the desert. Must getting soft in my old age. But then, I can always stock up on reloading supplies.

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I went to the range at 6 AM this morning and did some load development for 4 guns. I flipped a couple of ground squirrels that were at the 500 meter line with my 6.5x284 and missed a couple with the 375 H&H magnum (just too much hold over for that round). Roll Eyes

I left at 8:30 AM when the temperature got to 85 degrees and other people starting showing up.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a boar ground hog at about 60 yards with an AR-15. He was running and I had too much scope on him at first. Don't ask how many shots it took to connect. Was shooting 75 grain Hornady hollow points. Went out there to see if i could hit one at 300 yards and was right on top of this one when I started firing. Caught me by surprise. No plugs in at the time and my ears still hurt a little. Needless to say, the 75 grain offering fills the bill, must have exited sideways.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Too Long!!!!

Posts: 32 | Location: NSW, Australia | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed a few gophers last Friday.

Posts: 86 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 17 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I shot two gophers yesterday evening; one from my bedroom window and one from the living room window. I used my Kimber of Oregon in 22rf.

My wife detests gophers, and she spots for me, running ahead to remove the screens from the windows. Life is good!

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my own small property , a woodchuck two days ago ,close range ,22LR RWS subsonic hp. What a difference from last year ! This year 7 chucks already ! Last year a red fox cleaned out all mice, chipmunks, squirrels, woodchucks !! First time ever I didn't shoot a chuck here .

one of us
posted Hide Post
too long...20 mar 05....with my new favorite varmint rifle. cz550 9.3x62, 270 grn speer bullet Big Grin

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tnekkc: This certainly is a new record for me! Killing a Varmint and getting to my computer to tell about it in such a short amount of time.
Less than 3 minutes ago (2149 hours - 9:49 PM) this date I killed a large Skunk with my Ruger 77/17 V/T! I had to aim slowly and carefully as the Skunk was waddling across the field adjacent to my home well after sundown (2117 hours or 9:17 PM hours this date). As this Varmint was way to close to the VarmintHome and it has been stinking up the late night air for a couple of weeks now. So I decided to make a quick play for him. No one was home to hold a spotlight or my red lensed NightForce (LightForce) Varminting spotlight for me so I had to "rough it"!
I quickly retrieved my Ruger 77/17 V/T from the vault and then I grabbed a loaded clip from my ammo locker, a Dog-Gone-Good "X" type sandbag and sped to the nearest corner fence post to the Skunk, for my set up!
Some of you may remember the good deal I got on a Weaver 4x16 variable scope some months ago. I took the straight 15X Weaver with Du-plex crosshairs off my 17 HMR Rifle then and replaced it with the variable 4 to 16 power model! The only trouble is the new Weaver has the very fine crosshairs and 1/4 minute dot. By the time I got set up it was nearly dark. It took some doing but I waited for the Skunk to get in some short dry (light colored) grass and then I floated the dot down from the grass onto his head and neck area. C-r-a-c-ccc-kkk-uhh the little 17 HMR split the absolutely still air. The Skunk tipped over and never moved! I took the Rifle and bag back into the house and got on the puter!
I think I broke its neck or something as it never quivered - just toppled down and lay still!
The 17 HMR IS one fine Varmint round!
Accurate, quiet, lethal, flat shooting, no recoil of course so instant analysis of ones shot is viewable in the sight picture - lots of wonderful attributes to the 17 HMR indeed!
Again I relay - hooray for the Hornady folks for going the distance and thinking up and developing this fine rimfire Varmint round!
I declare (at least temporarily) the record for shortest amount of time "since I killed a Varmint" to posting it on the Forum here!
I dare anyone to try and break it!
Now to go bury the Varmint!
Long live the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You live in Montana.
You shot a skunk.

I with 2 million Seattleites.
I put a wasp in the microwave and cooked to death.

Why don't I live in Montana?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tnekkcc: I lived in amongst those 2,000,000 folks for the first 49 years of my life!
When I turned 49 and retired I moved my family to Montana and I can honestly say the last 9 years living here in Montana have been the happiest, most interesting, most restful, most rewarding years of my life.
I don't miss Seattle ONE BIT!
In fact Seattle is a "dirty word" in my mind.
Seattle is a good place to be FROM!
I highly reccommend you get your stuff together and move to Montana - TOMORROW!!!
Best of luck to ya out there in the "Emerald City".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
Well I got another kill today with my Peterbilt an armadillo took a stroll under my tires at 70mph (just outside Momett MO). I was just under 80,000 lbs so I dont think he felt a thing LOL

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
read this and weep. On the 19-21 of june, I was joined a a buddy, and we shoot gophers for2 and one half days. Between the 2 of us we shoot just over 3000 rounds of 22 rf. We hardly used the centre fires as the gophers kept attacking at close range. It was shooting like we had never had before on gophers or PD's. Shots were from 20 yards to 80 yards, odd one somewhat farther. Was some of the best days of my shooting life. I have permission to shoot on 6 different ranchs right now. Will try to take another couple of shooters with me next trip. This has to be shared, only hope I can heat up the 22-250 and the 223 next trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just shot a squirrell trying to get into my living room attic.

.177 pellet gun got him.

He's in the garbage can now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look on the Tikka T3 question above this one,
Going out again this Sunday too!!
May be tukeys this time, theres only one season for them here in NZ, ALL YEAR!!!
mgun

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's been just over a month since the last jackrabbit hunt... i need to get back out there Wink

Thanks very much,
Robert (13.45)
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 83 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
An hour ago if you count one of my 3 German Shorthairs killing a skunk. (Nice retrieve. Mad)

You think he'd learn. homer This is skunk #4 this year alone.

At least they don't have much chance to kill and eat the local wild bird eggs, etc.

Just a smelly mess to clean up. Roll Eyes

At least it wasn't a porcupine this time. That usually means a trip to the vet cuz he won't stand still to let me get them out.

Guess my dogs hate the varmints that eat the game birds they love to hunt as much as I do.

Good luck.

Mike

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
July 24th my birthday, 25th & 26th I was out in Alberta, Canada at my in-laws place. Across the road from their house is a quarter section (160 acres) which is connected to many more quarter sections that are over run with gophers.

I had my T/C Contender carbine with a 16.5" 22lr match barrel 4X Redfield scope with Stingers and Velociter bullets and my Rem 700P 223 witha 6-24X Bushnell Elite 4200 mil-dot a/o scope and my reloads of 50gr Sierra Blitz @ 3250fps and 60gr Sierra HP Varminters @ 3010fps.

I would shoot for an hour then go inside for a break then head back out again.

There where not many gophers left in the field when I left.

I also hit 2 with my new 07 Toyota Camry. One on the way to church and the other as I was cruising over to the next town. I tried to avoid both for my wifes sake but things happen. Smiler

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
about 18hours, and I'm starting to get withdrawl symptoms....

Woodchuck at ~235yards with a 223 and a (gasp of horror)
FACTORY loaded winchester 45grain bullet.

gersplat!

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChopperGuy:
An hour ago if you count one of my 3 German Shorthairs killing a skunk.

Good dog!
You have just been promoted to "outdoor dog".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't remember, how sad is that? Sure have brought my Ar to some wkend camping trips but have only shot targets. Confused

Posts: 132 | Location: MA | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I finally got to try out my new CZ 204 varmint yesterday I shot 13 woodchucks with 13 shots one at 425 and another at 385 and a couple a little over 300, killed everyone dead right there I was using 39BK pushed by 30.2 grns blc-2 I think I'm really gonna like this gun

Posts: 94 | Location: Orwell,New York | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote