New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best powder for .223
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Rem 700 PSS LTR in .223 currently I'm useing Varget 28g with 50g V-max. Any others that would be good for fast 50g bullets?

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had really good luck in my 700 VS with 24.0 g of AA2230 under a Sierra 52 BTHP. This load has served me well.

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H335 seems to work best for me behind a 52gr AMax. It shoots great for me.

Posts: 87 | Location: Eldon Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are dozens of powders that work well in a .223, but none seem to work better than the one that was formulated for it originally, WC 844, also the same spec as H-335.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the best luck with H-335 and W-748. I am going to try BLC-2, as well. This is with 40 -55 gr bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Benchmark is fast and accurate with 53gr and lighter bullets, and I use it in my bolt gun.

AA2200 (no longer available, but plenty sold!) is a fantastic and cheap powder for the 223. I have used it in Highpower competition with my AR for thousands of rounds (53 MK's 100/200yd reduced course). Grab it if you find it.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The first powder I try is inevitably N133. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Benchmark, H332, H335, N133, anything in this range should work well for ya, Benchmark has worked very well for me, have tried H335 and got some nice groups, but the powder is on the dirty side, guess I prefer extruded powders, and Benchmark is the one I'm sticking with, try 25.5grs. of it with your 50gr. bullets, I use 24grs. for 55VMAXs and got a 4 shot group @200yds. of .313" with 3 of the shots @.070", I was quite impressed with that, don't even ask what happened to the 5th shot, ended up 1.125" low, also used 24.5grs. with 52-53MKs, and get 2.25" @300yds. with 4 of the shots in the inch area, don't know if any other powder will do as well. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
28 Grains of 748 under a 40 Grain V-MAX works wonders in my Ruger #1-V (1 in 12 twist).
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my rifle, these two are the best. N-135 comes in a close third.
Mad`  -

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington PSS is a 1-9 twist tube. But is shoots 69g and up really well and 50g and under really well. The best group she fired was .25 5 shot at 100 with 28.5g of varget (compressed load) with a 40 grain v-max. But once the bullet gets beyond 200 yards I don't know what its doing, I have a hard time hitting with it. I don't know if the bullet is destabilizing because of the 1-9 twist or if the 40g just doesn't carry well past 200 yards. I havn't had the chance to paper it at 300, but if the wind ever stops here I will try. I'll try a few of those powders asap, thanks guys

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The best powders that I have tried were H335 and BLC-2 both work great for me.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW ADI in Australia devolped benchmark powder (sold here as Benchmark 2) for loading military 5.56 ball at the fastset possilble velocity benchmark sits midway between H322 and H4895 has a small granule size so ya can pack more in!!!
I have sitting in front of me an atricle written in an Australian shooting magazine by a well knowm writer some of the loads and velocity are incredible for example in the 222 remington with 55gr bullets there is a load that was doing 3340fps!!! in 223 there was some loads that using sierra 69gr matchkings were around 3050fps and the 70gr speer at 2980fps
in the atricle the writer tested the powder in a multitude of calibres he tested 17rem 222rem 223rem 22/250 260rem 243 win 7mm/08 30/30 308 30/06 and the 458win mag he did state that it was not the best powder for some of these rounds but worked well in this wide range I use it in my 222 magnum and was getting 3500 with 55gr bullets and excellent accuracy strangely the load i used was only half a grain more than the 222 load mentioned above it is a great powder
there is actually 2 benchmark powders sold in Australia (hence the 2 designation) bm1 is an accuracy powder favoured by benchrest shooters it is the powder for the ppc at least in Oz anyway

Posts: 249 | Location: Australia | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK so now I have another question, Where is the cheapest place you guys have found on the Net for reloading components? Like Benchmark, Hornady, Nosler stuff?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Overall, I think MidSouth Shooting Supply is hard to beat. You may find some items elsewhere priced lower, but when you buy several items at a time, they seem best. Their freight is actual, and if you can have it shipped to a business, let them know. UPS just told us that the surcharge on residential shipments is going up to $1.40 (from $1.15), which a business delivery avoids.
MidSouth's reloading gear is just competitive, but they shine in the bullets/brass area.
As for powder, the HazMat fee makes ordering a real deal-breaker, unless you pool your order with others.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BearCat:
Where do you live in Oregon? You should be able to find a BiMart somewhere near you. They are about the best price on powders and primers and are very competitive with Mail Order places, without all the shipping charges.

G.I.Joe's also is very competitive on powders, especially on the Hodgdon powders. You should be able to find one of those if you live on the west side of the Cascades on the I 5 corridor, or over in Bend.

As far as bullets, For Nosler, See Shooters Den on line. They are the source for Nosler Factory seconds, if that is your bullet choices.

Cabela's online has some real smoking deals on bullets and brass. I also shop Graf & Sons on line, and compare with Midway USA and Natchez Shooters Supply. Factor in shipping charges etc, as the Price "on the doorstep" can vary.

Graf & Sons are not as cheap as Midway on price, but then their shipping charges are just $4.75 for most orders, so it depends on how much you order at a time.

My first stop is usually Cabela's tho for bullets., and my local BiMart for Powder.

Email me off line if you live in the Rogue Valley, as I know most of the local "hot spots" for that sort of stuff.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the only thing I don't like about AA 2230...is tipping the jug and finding that it's empty. Best stuff I've ever fed a .223. Meters like water and 25 grains under a 50 grain spitzer is a great combination.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Benchmark, it's the first powder I've found I like better than WW748 in the .223. I recently picked up some X-Terminator and am anxious to try it as well. With what I'm reading about AA2230 I'd like to try it also.

bearcat, pull up "Powdervalley". If you buy powder and or primers in quanity it's the cheapest I've found. Four 8-pounders of some powders laid up at my house run under $14.00 a pound including freight and haz-mat. Get several guy's to go in it doesn't hurt so bad. Just buying a pound or two buy local over the counter cause the haz-mat'll kill ya.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester 748 worked very well for me, and it meters very well too.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never could get 748 or Benchmark to work in my Savage. I tried everything to get those powders to work. Varget was a dud also.
Just goes to show that all rifles are different.
I'd suggest you guys who like 2230 to try the 2230-C. It's a surplus military powder that is a killer in my 6PPC and 223. Natchez has it on sale for $70.00 for 8 pounds and when it's gone, it's gone. Very good stuff!!!!!!!!!

Mad`

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote