New
Find
Notify
Tools

PD hunt Zortman
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
has anyone been south of Malta Montana, near Zortman shooting prairie dogs lately. I want to be there June 18-21, wondering about dog numbers. Missed last year, hoping there are shootable numbers, without having to hunt the reserve. any replies will be much appreciated. hate to drive for 10-12 hours and not be able to pop lots of primers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I slept in Zortman Saturday May 26, with the Gold diggers.

I was shooting prairie dogs 15 miles north of Zortman, Sunday May 27, the day that was a break in the rain.

Amazing how two hours of off road driving across the prairie can lead to a prairie dog ghost town. They were shy out to 225 yards and only a few of the mounds were being used. I got 15 dogs, a sun burn, and bug bites.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, talked to the folks at the Big Horn. They say the shooting is okay, what ever that means. Plan on going anyway, just for the break if nothing else. where you on BLM or private land.

posted Hide Post
I was up there last June and it was pretty slim pickings until I got access to private property. They have been hit hard up there with the plague and of course it is such a popular area to shoot. Not sure how much they have rebounded this year or where you live but unless you have access to private property I think there are better places to go.

Posts: 10 | Location: Port Orchard, WA | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote