THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    6mm ppc / 240 wed for fox and roe?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm ppc / 240 wed for fox and roe?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what do you thinke ?? for the longe shoots!?

Posts: 35 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Hi Caine, I'm not sure about the 240 "wed". Assuming you are asking about the 240Weatherby, it's in an entirely different class than the 6ppc. It burns nearly twice as much fuel, and it IS an AWESOME choice for long range shooting.

I load for both, and though the PPC is a wonderful cartridge, it's not a long range roe cartridge. That said, my wife used it on antelope (about 75 kg's), and it worked fine for that. So, for roe, I'd hold it to about 200 yards/meters, using a bullet like the 75 gr X bullet, or a 68 gr. GS custom HV, or the 85 gr Nosler partition (or h-mantle equivalent)

For the 240, I'd stick with a very VERY solid bullet, preferably an H-mantle or solid copper. That cartridge, however, will shred a fox -- no worries about having to skin it after you hit it! My father-in-law actually shot a very nice blond-phase black bear with it this spring. It is NOT a pelt hunting cartridge, and if used for meat hunting, it will create a lot of blood shot meat unless you use a very, very hard bullet. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Caine & Dutch: I will also assume that the question is in regards to the 240 Weatherby. In 1990 I got a brain storm and decided to acquire a custom Varmint/Antelope/Deer Rifle for long range Hunting. Many of my cohorts decried the choice of the Weatherby cartridge due to "rumors" of poor accuracy as compared to other 6mm calibers. Like a 6mm Ackley Improved for instance. And furthermore I chose a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 acton to build it on! More wails from the doubting Thomas's! Ahead I went anyway. I chose a first rate Riflesmith and a Hart 27" heavy barrel. It all sits in a beautiful but simply desiged wooden stock. It has some kind of automotive clear finish on it (I forgot the name of it). The finish IS INDESTRUCTIBLE! I tried to remove it once to reduce its shine but was unable to even scuff it. I hired a stockmaker and he gave up also. Anyway once finished the Rifle was easy to find an accurate Hunting load for and always shoots under .75" groups for 5 shots at 100 yards. Its best 5 shot groups at 100 yards are .39", .41" and .44"! This with Hunting and Varminting style bullets and a Leupold 6.5X20 scope. I am very pleased with its accuracy, brass life, flat trajectory and lethality on Varmints and Medium Game (Deer & Antelope).
Dutch is right don't plan on saving pelts from Coyotes and Foxes. My 240 Rifle is one of the most enjoyable long range (and high mountain) Rock Chuck Rifles I have ever used! It is simply a joy to shoot with its flat trajectory and accuracy. I am guessing I have 1,000 rounds down the barrel and I have not noticed any accuracy loss as yet. About 5 years ago I retired this Rifle from Coyote and Rock Chuck duty and am now just Hunting Antelope with it. I am starting to worry the barrel will go sour accuracy wise in another 500 rounds or so. We will see. I replaced it on long range Varminting duty with a Darrell Holland built 6mm Ackley Improved.
Caine if I were you I think I would go with the 6mm PPC! For Fox I would use a real sharp pointed bullet to help with a flatter trajectory and a good Game bullet for the Roe Deer. To get good results on both Fox and Roe you probably will need to have two different bullets in your loads.
The recoil on the 240 Weatherby is enough to spoil your field of view and you would have better luck spotting your own shots with the 6mm PPC.
My 240 Weatherby weighs 12 pounds 15 ounces and I still often loose sight picture upon firing.
Good luck with whichever you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My own viewpoint is neither - something in between like a 243 is perfect.

I personaly use a 6mm rem with 90gr ballistic tips @ 3,250fps. This is zeroed half inch high at 100, 1 inch low at 200, 4 inch low at 250, 9inch low at 300.

A 243 with 90gr bullet with an inch high zero aimed 3/4 the way up the chest will kill a roe out to approx 275yards, this is further than generaly accepted wise. A small mistake with the wind at this range and you have a big problem.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
1984, I disagree with you on the 243: I just sold mine. In my opinion, it is "neither fish nor fowl". It doesn't have the accuracy of the PPC, and is, in my experience, much more finicky than the 240. The 240 will shoot just about anything well and faster. Barrel life on both sucks. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wath a bout 6mm rem??

Posts: 35 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I really really like mine but I'm not sure it offers a lot over a 243 which is more readily available in more and better rifles and has better availability of cases such as lapua, RWS, norma etc.

I chose 6mm rem because it feeds well from a mauser action being based on a 7x57. Mine shoots 90gr ballistic tips at 3,250fps from a charge of VVN160 out of a 24" barrel, no doubt others on this forum can get that from a 243 but I've allways been conservative in my loading so appreciate being able to get 243 velocity at slightly lower pressure.

It kills roe very well indeed. Cases only available from remington and winchester.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Swamp-Man>
posted
I have to agree with Dutch and varmit guy, the 240 wby is an awesome cartridge. I prefer mine over my 2506 and 257 bob. You will lose your sight picture as Varmit guy said but the end results make it definitly worth it.Mine loves imr4064 and 75 grain v-maxs.