THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    50 grain CT Ballistic Silvertips for dog's

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 grain CT Ballistic Silvertips for dog's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
Has anybody used these for prairie dogs? I was wondering what kind of performance they had compared to say the v-max.

After recently looking at the price increase for my beloved Nosler custom 50grs (from $37 to $57 for 50)I need to start loading for my .222 and my .223 wssm when I get it going for next season.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jimmywax--This doesn't address your question at all,but does address part of what you mentioned. $37-$57 for 50 is way out of my range. I use cast bullets in my .222 on jackrabbits and they are good to whatever range I can spotlight them. Certainly they wont have the range of a jacketed bullet nor will they vaporize them,but they will kill them and dead is dead. Where I have been able to get wheel weights free(maybe not anymore)I probably spent about $5 per hundred rounds. The bullet mold I use is the 58 grain RCBS. This mold is intended to use a gas check--which have gotten a little pricey,but it does very well without the gas check.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 55gr Ballistic tip in a 22-250 on prarie dogs with very good results. I would expect to see good performance from the CT Ballistic Silver Tip as well. It is essentially a 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with Winchesters Lubalox or Lubaloy coating.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvy barrel:
I have used the 55gr Ballistic tip in a 22-250 on prarie dogs with very good results. I would expect to see good performance from the CT Ballistic Silver Tip as well. It is essentially a 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with Winchesters Lubalox or Lubaloy coating.
Thanks hvy barrel, I thought that they were the same bullet but wasn't sure. So unless you can get them for less than the nosler's they probably aren't worth it.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them on prairie dogs and they work just fine.

I haven't used the v-max so I can't really compare them.

I switched over to these from the moly's since I found that the lubalox coating doesn't rub off.

Accuracy is the same between the 50 BT nosler (copper) and this bullet.

The best thing is that it is much easier to clean the gun.

Mostly hunt coyotes now, and it stops them fine as well.

I shoot them in my 220 swifts and my 22-250 AI. Load is using H380 @ 3700 fps in each gun.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mgoodrich:
I have used them on prairie dogs and they work just fine.

I haven't used the v-max so I can't really compare them.

I switched over to these from the moly's since I found that the lubalox coating doesn't rub off.

Accuracy is the same between the 50 BT nosler (copper) and this bullet.

The best thing is that it is much easier to clean the gun.

Mostly hunt coyotes now, and it stops them fine as well.

I shoot them in my 220 swifts and my 22-250 AI. Load is using H380 @ 3700 fps in each gun.
So in your experience the copper fouling is reduced?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
QUOTE] Thanks hvy barrel, I thought that they were the same bullet but wasn't sure. So unless you can get them for less than the nosler's they probably aren't worth it.[/QUOTE]

I have not compared the CT against the plain old BT yet. I don't know if there is really any advatage first hand. I have sent a lot of regular BT down range & with regular cleaning I can say that they do not foul the barrel any more than the V-max or Sierra BK.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I found that copper fouling was reduced.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote