THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Experience with the 80gr 6mm ballistic tip?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience with the 80gr 6mm ballistic tip?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone tried these? I thought I might try some in my 6mm rem if they have the same zero as 90gr hunting BTs. I'm interested in how much they expand.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to admit to having very limited experience with the 80 grain Ballistic Tip. Another shooter gave me a handfull of them to try in my 6mm Remington and they shot really nice groups. I have not shot any varmints with them.

If they perform like the 70 grain Ballistic Tip, which I suspect they do, they are sold as varmint bullets, then they will expand plenty. The 70 grain version when used on prairie dogs or ground squirrels are very destructive.

As to bullet impact, you will just have to try them and see. My particular 6mm shoots darned near everything to the same point of impact. (The fact that it has a rather large bull barrel probably accounts for this to some degree.)

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi there 1894! I haven't used any of the 80's, but have used a lot of the 70's. I suspect that their construction is identical, which would mean that at identical velocities they would behave similarly. In other words, if the 70's strike a target at, say, 200 yards at 3100 fps and the 80's strike the same target at, say 160 yards at the same 3100 fps, then I would anticipate the expansion being virtually identical -- very violent.

Another way to put it is that the 80's would only expand less because their terminal velocity might be less at a given yardage.

I don't know what application you might be using them for (lung shot on Roe?), but expect them to be pretty frangible at normal .243 velocities.

Whether they will shoot to the same point of impact as the 90's can only be answered by trying them in your individual rifle.

Good luck!

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahoy there Stonecreek!

You guessed my evil intent! The ogive is identical to the 90gr so I'm hopeful. I don't want to cause too much damage but I can get the trajectory I want with 2,900fps (ie same as my 6.5x55 with 100gr) and I know Stephan on this forum has a friend who has killed a lot of roe with the 70gr BT out of a PPC or BR at 2,900fps and swears by it. Not neck shots or fancy stuff either.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it works for you.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a MV of 3,200fps they grouped well and to the same POI.

This morning I got a rare chance to shoot prone from a ditch at a roe doe and 2 doe fawns couched on the side of a wood 150yds away. I shot the doe lying, the fawns then stood and I shot both of them. All were chest shots at some angle. All bullets exited with nice expansion but no horror stories. The doe made 15yds the fawns fell where they stood.

Given that the doe probably weighed 38lbs ready for the larder and that the hunting weight BTs are designed for white tail and antelope, I suppose it should be no surprise that at moderate velocity the 80gr varmint will work well on light boned small deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your results sound just exactly as I would expect on a large coyote -- which is just about the size of a medium roe. While some here on AR would fall over in a dead faint at the suggestion of using 80 grain Ballistic Tips on deer, they would regard the same bullet on a coyote as more than adequate.

Good hunting!