New
Find
Notify
Tools

.204 ruger Savage any good?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
O.K. Somebody tell me or show me if they shoot. Just haven't quite talked myself into one. Some pics. of good groups would help make up my mind!
Also include model and load.
Thanks all,
338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
338vt-- Just like most other brands of rifles, there are going to be lemons and then there will be the good ones. My Savage is a Model 12 Varminter Low Profile in .204 Ruger. It is topped of with a Leupold VX-III 6.5 to 20x40mm long range scope with a wide duplex and has the side focus.

I shot 280 of the 32 gr. factory Hornady ammo through it this summer, as well as a number of 32 gr. handloads. Another 275 or so rounds have also been fired while working up loads for the 32 gr. V-Max, 35 gr. Berger FB HP, 40 gr. V-Max, and 40 gr. Berger LTB. I also did some fire forming with about 50 of the Remington .222 Magnum brass casings to see how they worked as opposed to the Hornady factory brass.

Here's a scan of some tests I did using Rel 10X and the 35 gr. Berger bullets. I think these loads are probably fairly hot, so DO NOT attempt to try powder charges this heavy. Start WAY lower and work up.

This was my best group with the 32 gr. V-Max handloads. This load is 0.3 of a grain over max so don't start here, start low and work your way up!!!

Here is a 3-shot group at 100 yards using the 40 gr. Berger LTB and H322 powder. This load is WAY OVER MAX, so don't even think about going there. I think the MAX load recommended by Hodgdon is 25.1 gr. of H322 with the 40 gr. bullet.

I have a custom built .17 Remington with a 26" Lilja barrel on it that I also enjoy shooting. The .204 Ruger has a little bit more recoil than the .17 Remington, but you can still see your hits through the scope with it.

Catch ya L8R

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Silverfox
A little hot on the loads. I have a 22-250 that likes hot loads. Eeker
Thanks 338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote