New
Find
Notify
Tools

XR-100 Range And Field Review
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Now that I have had a year and two months of field and range work under my belt with my two Remington XR-100's - I must declare them a Varmint Rifle success!
I will mostly direct my observations, results and experiences towards the new Rifles attributes in these areas: trigger, stock, single shot action and accuracy. The two calibers of XR-100 that I own, are familiar enough to everyone that I won't comment further on them at this time. The two calibers I own in this Rifle are the new and wonderful 204 Ruger and the great "old standby" for Varminters the 223 Remington.

Trigger: I could not be happier with the externally adjustable Remington 40X style trigger - for a Varminter of all around and year round useages its just about perfect!
At least my two are. I did hear one internet complaint regarding this trigger, but from myself and my circle of close friends that use this Rifle comes nothing but flattery, happiness and kudos! The trigger pull, weight of adjustment range, was designed for Varminters first and fully satisfies those folks! And the trigger also greatly pleases the folks that spend some significant time at the range. My triggers are crisp and light and creep free! There is nothing much else to say here!

Stock: I have always enjoyed the concept and feel of thumbhole stocks. This particular thumbhole design works for me (long neck, large torso, fat face) from EVERY shooting position I have tried it from! These include over my Hart benchrest on the tall cement benches at one of my ranges! As well as from the narrow wooden 12" lower bench at the private range I shoot at more often. This stock also provides no hinderance what so ever when I shoot while standing up over sandbags on the hood of my tall Dodge 4x4 pickup! I have used the stock to great effect from the standing but stooped severely over position I often assume when standing on the tailgate of the VarmintMobile and shoot through my Dog-Gone-Good "X" style sandbag as its laying on the roof of my cab high canopy! The stock has enough wideness of forearm to readily attain stability when I shoot over my Dog-Gone-Good window bags.
I have shot the XR-100 from four different portable Varmint Shooting benches (3 of my own and one of a friends) with complete happiness! I have used the XR-100 with two different heights of Harris Bi-pods from sitting and prone positions and again no detrimental effects noted during usage! Speaking of prone I often shoot from my Keb-Labs cactus proof shooting mat while using my home made front tri-pod rest and a rabbit ear rear rest or on occassion my Darrell Holland mini, tri level adjustable rear rest sand bag - again I am most pleased with the stock from this situation.
I just can't find a position with this Rifle where I have any trouble obtaining scope sight picture easily, quickly and naturally! I have even fired it a few times "off-hand" - which has resulted in mixed success but its not the stocks fault, its the ineptitude of the trigger man! I think this stock fits me better, considering all potential firing positions, than just about any design of stock I have ever owned.
And I have owned a lot of them!
Plus I think the stock is attractive looking and has a fair amount of sex appeal (thats gun-nut lingo for appealing to the more base desires of Rifle users and gun nuts). I can find no fault with the stock - its that simple.

Single shot action: I own a number of single shot Varmint Rifles and pistols made by Ruger, Kimber, Sako, Remington (both 40X models, XP-100's and customized Remington 700's) and T/C. For my all around Varminting needs I get along just fine with the single shots - even for Coyote, Fox and Badger Hunting. I just throw ammo towards the breech and it gets chambered! No failures what so ever in this regard, to date anyway! Its quick and easy to reload in other words. I also feel the stiff short single shot configuration aids in accuracy which is my next point of observation for this nifty looking and wonderfully designed (performing?) Rifle.

Accuracy: I have been both thrilled and relieved that the Remington folks have taken a chance on this new configuration Rifle and succeeded so handily with it!
From my cadre of personal friends and shooting buddies that own these new XR-100's the happiness with the accuracy of them is universal!
Indeed my 204 Ruger XR-100 has averaged an AMAZING .464" group size (all five shot, 100 yard groups!) with not only my handloads but with two varieties of FACTORY AMMO!!! Just averaging the handloaded (this includes all groups done during load development!) ammo groupings, I came up with a blistering .379 average!!!
Wow, I say publicly - as these groups were all accomplished with Varmint style bullets and a Varminting scope - and of course my XR-100's have not been modified in any way other than the initial trigger adjustment and a 30 second session with my Snap-On inch/pounds torque wrench on the action screws!
Wow, again I say!
Now, my relatively new XR-100 in caliber 223 Remington has only shot, for group, carefully crafted LaPua brass based handloads. The only factory ammo that went down this barrel was some Federal stuff that I used for initial sight in and a short barrel break in.
Anyway the 5 shot 100 yard group average for ALL my test handloads to date has been an impressive (amazing!) .386"! Now in light of full admission this Rifle is equipped with a wonderful Leupold 8.5x25x40mm Leupold scope and I have chosen to only use and test the target/Varmint bullet from the great folks at Berger in 52 gr. weight. I use this bullet for Varmints of all types by the way.
I made a posting on the sensational group I shot with this Rifle back in January of this year, but it bears on the quality of the XR-100 and so I will repeat it here now - I made the smallest 5 shot 100 yard grouping I have ever made with a factory Rifle (non 40X model) - the group measured .121" from this XR-100! I quickly followed that group up with one measuring .326"! And these were new brass, test loads!
I settled on this load then and there!
I have not run any long quick strings of shots afield as yet with either Rifle. I have had them both in Colony Varmint fields but I just have not had occassion to get either barrel real warm and then check for stringing or other abberations. These barrels are such great performers that I think I will make every effort to "baby" these barrels so as to "preserve" them.
I am "sold" on the new XR-100's and highly recommend them for everyones consideration.
I would love to hear some more feedback and first hand experiences that other forum users have had with their XR-100's.
As with many other XR-100 users I noticed primer cratering with both factory ammo and moderately loaded handloads! I could not figure this out but apparently, as diagnosed by my number one main go to Riflesmith and some other gunsmiths that have seen this situation, its due to Remington making the firing pin hole in the bolt face somewhat "oversized"! Why this happened I can not guess! I have been assured that with safe working loads it poses no threat to the shooter. Still while afield I have some trepidation (worry) about this condition! I always use my Zeiss Shooting Glass's at the range and may have to resort to using them when I use my XR-100's while Colony Varminting!
Better safe than sorry.
A big thumbs up, 4 stars, 97%+, rave review from me on this new offering from Big Green!
Kudos again to them!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
G"Day Varmint Guy
Good to see your review as i'm waiting for my XR-100 to turn up @ my local shop, It is also in .204 cal, cant wait to smack some aussie bunny's with it.
What is your pet load and OAL.?
Great review.!!
Regards
Damien Webb.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BigNative: I hope you will be as happy with your XR-100 in 204 as I am with mine!
My load for it is using Hornady brass, Federal 205M primers, Sierra 32 gr. BlitzKing bullets and 28.0 grs. of H 4895 powder. Be sure and triple check that load and good luck once you get to load testing.
I have shot jack Rabbits and Cottontail Rabbits here in the states with my 204's and the speed and flat trajectory of the 204 makes for easy pickins!
Be sure and let us know how you like the Rifle and the cartridge!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy,

Great evaluation; I just put a 22-250 700 in VLSSTH on layaway here, and I'm hoping it's as accurate as the XR. This one looks identical to the XR, but has a 5-round magazine. I don't know if the components are the same, but the thumbhole stock sold me - it points naturally, and after looking at several rifles I knew this was the one to get. cheers

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AZ223: Do you happen to know if the folks down there holding your Rifle have the same Rifle in 223 Remington?
I have a friend that is looking for one. He had his hands on one some months ago up here in western Montana and he got turned on by it but didn't "jump" on it at the time.
They sold that one and now he can't find one to save his skin.
Best of luck with your new 22-250!
Let me know how it shoots for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy - I sent you a PM

one of us
posted Hide Post
AZ223: Received.
Thank you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend and I went to Idaho Falls, Idaho today for a chance at one of the "non-cataloged" Remington 700 stainless steel Varminters with the tan laminated stock and thumbhole feature! This stock is virtually the same as the XR-100's stock (I compared them side by side). Anyway the Sportsmans Warehouse had several of these special order Rifles on hand for my friends perusal.
Plus they had a nifty display of record book Elk as well as seminars and calling contests going on. Good time there was had as well as a lengthy trip to Ski's Gunshop and some wheeling and dealing on my part! To no avail.
My friend never could not make up his mind between the 223 Remington in the special Remington Rifle or the 204 Ruger!
And to tell the truth the folks at Sportsmans Warehouse had a pretty good price on these Rifles at $699.00.
My friend wanted one of these so bad he could taste it but held of for reasons only known to him!
We drove 145 miles each way to this "big time" spoting goods store only to come up dry!
Oh well.
On the way home (gunless!) my friend said he would drive the 175 miles each way to Missoula, Montana next week so he could buy from the Sportsmans Warehouse there and thus be sales tax exempt! If he can decide on a caliber!
I wanted to tell him to visualize the cost of the drive to Missoula (15 gallons of gas at $3.00 per gallon = $45.00) and the tax exemption thing would be a wash (moot!).
Anyway he professed continued indetermination over which chambering to get and thats fair enough! I been there.
I of course mentioned how much he liked shooting my 204's at distant Varmints in months past!
Anyway for anyone that is contemplating a new Varminter in 204, 223, 22-250 and maybe some other calibers this new offering that the Sportsmens Warehouse folks apparently had made up special for them, by Remington, is a slick rig and priced pretty righteously for todays market!
I really liked the format and the looks and feel of this Rifle.
Just a heads up for anyone else interested in a nifty rig.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmit Guy, is this special run a single shot or
repeater?

Posts: 73 | Location: Pocahontas, AR | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one, new in the box, cal .223 for sale if anyone is interested. Email me

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod Smith: The special run Rifle that AZ223 and my friend are interested in are magazine Rifles and they do not show up in the Remington catalog.
I have heard that the folks at Sportsmens Warehouse (53 stores in the western USA) had them ordered up special just for them, and my friend saw one about 1 1/2 years ago at a Sportsmens Warehouse in Missoula, Montana. They quickly sold out and now they are apparently back in stock.
Again the Rifle they are talking about is an all stainless (action and barrel) Varminter with a 26" heavy barrel and a tan colored laminated stock of the Varmint thumbhole style.
The Rifle I tested and originally posted about (XR-100) is an all blued Rifle built on an action that is a solid base single shot type, with a Remington 40X style adjustable trigger, that shares the dimensions of the old Remington XP-100 bolt action pistol. The stock on the XR-100 is a distinct gray and black laminated thumbhole style but shares the same external dimensions.
Both Rifles are quite handsome and comfortable in my opinion.
I have not shot, or seen shot, any of the Remington 700 VLSSTH Rifles like AZ223 has, as yet.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm anxious to know how well the VLSSTH shoots; unfortunately I have to wait while I pay off other obligations. Like I mentioned earlier, the feel of the stock was what sold me -- the rifle points as naturally as any I've ever held. I had looked at the Savage; laminate with stainless steel barrel, but it felt front-heavy to me. I suppose with a varmint rifle shooting from a rest that's no big deal, but the Remington just balanced a lot better to me.

I had almost gone for the .204 Ruger, but decided on the .22-250 because I've always wanted one. I'll let you all know how it shoots once I get it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
AZ223, I bought one of the special run Remington's in 204 when they first came out. I was wanting the XR-100 but got tierd of waiting. When this rifle came in the dealer called and said I should come down to look at it (1.5 hour drive one way). I brought it home the following weekend after having a Nikon Monarch 6.5X20 mounted and a trigger job done. The trigger adjusted down to a very nice 1.5 lbs. My brother shot it a few weeks ago and was getting one inch groups, he hadn't shot a rifle in over twenty years. Great rifle, the XR will have to wait for now.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jbhewitt - Sounds like you've got a shooter! The Nikon is the scope I'm looking at too; either the 6.5X20 or 4.5X14. Since I'll be shooting it as far out as 500yds, I may opt for the higher magnification. BTW - how difficult is it to adjust the trigger?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a gunsmith that will adjust the trigger for $20 for me. He commented that this trigger was one of the nicest he had seen for a while, I would tend to think I had gotten lucky. It adjusted down to 1.5 lbs and is just a joy to shoot. The nikon is the way to go, I really like it.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also went with the VLSSTH 700 rem in .204, but from Cabela's, Sportsmans Wharehouse had one in stock, I looked at it, told him to give me a minute to think, and ten minutes later I walked up to buy it and it had a 24 hour hold on the rifle. Everyone pretended not to know who put it there but they wouldn't sell it. I personaly think the salesman decided he wanted it himself, but what ya gonna do? So I drove back to Cabela's and paid 40 dollars more, but the costomer servive I got during the 2 hours I took to pick out a scope and outfit the rifle made me forget the extra $$ quick.

I had held one of the XR-100's in .204 ruger a year earlier but the single shot action and the fact that there was neither Factory ammo or Brass in stock made me wait, at that time. I bought a CZ 550 in 22-250 that day, It took another year to talk My wife into the VLSSTH.

I havn't yet had time to complete load development, But the first 3 shots out of the Box were a one hole clover leaf. clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ricky_arthur: I sure hope the new 204 shoots well for you!
It sounds like it wants to be a shooter.
Strange that situation with the first 204 Ruger!
Dealing with other human beings now for 58 years and 363 days has so very often caused me consternation and puzzlement over their pettiness, rudeness, jealousy, poor manners and outright meaness!
Those type encounters make the times when humans ARE kind and go out of their way to be helpful that much more enjoyable.
Remember that 204 Ruger can use LOTS of scope power to make use of its full potential!
Again best of luck with your new Remington in 204 Ruger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
But VarmintGuy, tell us frankly...do you like your
xr-100's? Wink

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote