THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    60gn Hornady V-Max and 1 in 8 twist

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

60gn Hornady V-Max and 1 in 8 twist
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone tried this combination. I need a barrel and George s has one in a 1 in 8 twist. I was looking for a new Douglas, Shilen class barrel in 1 in 9 or 1 in 10 twist. I am a little worried that the varmint type bullet going 3500 fps in a 22-250 rifle may come apart due to excessive spin. Is this a concern or am I just "Booger Huntin".

Gracias
Hoot

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The V-Max bullets don't have a velocity limit like the older SXs did, and it should do just fine in a 1:8 22-250.

I've used it in a 1:8 .223 with no problem.

But there's only one real way to find out... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesPersoally I think the 1 in 8 twist is totally unnecessary. Two of my Savage made 1 in 9 twist barrels stabalize the long 70 gr. VLD, 75 gr. cup and cores and one of them the 80 gr. VLD. coffee Keep in mind the 1 in 8 twist may handicap you in using the lite .224 bullets.

Now if you wanted a 22-250 to handle the long all copper bullets the 1 in 8 is the way to go, but at the same time long throating should be considered. The all copper or better still non lead bullets are required in areas of California. Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not consider myself an expert on barrles and bullets. So when I wanted to know something I asked the expert.

I wanted to shoot the 75 grain A-Max in my new 22-250. I wanted a high grade barrel for my build. I ordered a Krieger Barrel. I asked the advice of Krieger, and they recommended a 1in8 twist for the 75 grain bullet. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HEAD0001:
I do not consider myself an expert on barrles and bullets. So when I wanted to know something I asked the expert.

I wanted to shoot the 75 grain A-Max in my new 22-250. I wanted a high grade barrel for my build. I ordered a Krieger Barrel. I asked the advice of Krieger, and they recommended a 1in8 twist for the 75 grain bullet. Tom.

I think that to be sound advice. A 75 grain A- Max. is not the same as a 60 grain V max.,however. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well...I have "all the above'.. and shoot "all the above"....

Roger B is right, a one in 9 in even a 223 will stabilize a 75 and 80 grain bullets...

A one in 8 is even an extra margine of safety, but is not necessary...but still is sound advise...

a 60 grain VMax will work at higher velocity in a fast twist barrel...

I shoot it in a 22.250 that has a one in 7 twist, at MVs at 3600 fps.. and it does just fine...

it also shoots just fine in a 223 Savage with a one in 9 twist at 3150 fps...

so there is no down sides here.....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your replies. If I had the time to wait 3 to 5 months, I would order a barrel with a 1 in 10 twist. from what I have been able to find out in looking at barrel makers websites, they recommend 1 in 10 or 1 in 12. Really, I do have the time to wait, I just don't want to because the prairie dogs are starting to come out.

On the V-Max bullet box, Hornady says to use a 1 in 7 to 1 in 10 twist. My concern was that there is a difference in the rotational velocity of a bullet going out of any twist rate with a 500 fps difference in velocity.

From what you guys are telling me, I have been doin' a little "Booger Huntin'".

Gracias,
Hoot

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote