Find
Notify
Tools

Preymaster Electronic Caller
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted
I'm considering buying a Preymaster PM-4 electronic predator call. Opinion for or against this caller would be appreciated. If you have other recommendations, I'd like to hear them as well.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
They are a pretty good caller for the money: $190.

The remote has limited range and you have to get your sounds on pre-programmed cards. I prefer to have more flexibility in choosing sounds.

The Western Rivers Day Stalker at $160 will do pretty much the same but will give you the option to add more sounds and let you select them individually. It has about the same range remote as the JS does.

Another option would be a refurbished FOXPRO 416LR for $225. It has a long range remote and you can pick 16 sounds of your choice.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had a wester rivers, the thing died in a little over a year

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Where would you find one of these "refurbished" fox pro calls?

Thanks,
Ben

----------------------------

Posts: 124 | Location: Waukeenah, Fl | Registered: 22 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
whitebc,

Your best bet is call Jarod at FOXPRO. He can tell you what they have currently. It varies a lot and the forum listing is usually out of date.

866-463-6977

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You ought to build your own off of Varmint Al's website.

I made one for about 50$. Works great!

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

He also provides all the sounds you need and complete instructions for downloading them to your call..........

Great site as well. Check it out!!!

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Well, I ordered a Preymaster PM-4 for about $150 new. From my research (thanks to you guys and others) the consensus is that the FX3 is probably better but, since I'm pretty new at the varmint calling game, I wanted to get my feet wet in a little less expensive fashion. I could build my one but have too much else to do.

I love snow! Coming down my driveway yesterday morning (I worked all night) there were fresh canine like tracks in the snow. I rarely see dogs around my place but have seen a coyote and a few foxes (grays I believe).

The size of the track would make me think coyote but the distance between the front and rear would make me think fox. Maybe it's a young coyote. Anyway, it will be interesting if something turns up when I have my new caller.

We do have cottontails and since it's cold the predators should be hungry. I'm thinking a cottontail distress call would be the one to use.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
You will do great with it! How you use it is much more important than what caller you use.

Good Hunting,

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can build one faster than it takes for your ordered one to get there. All the supplies are available in one trip to Radio Shack

Listen, I know it sounds time consuming and scary with no knowledge of electronics, but that was me before I built mine. It's easy, cheap, and it works just as good.

You can even buy a transmitter/receiver set up for remote control like a Foxpro.........That's my next addition to the El Cheapo call.

It's rewarding to see a dog run in on something you've put together yourself too. For a decoy, you don't need to buy one of those fancy models pushed by the caller companys either. I made one from the child's toy called a "weasel ball". Costs 10$ and Varmint Al has complete and easy instructions on the same page I noted.

I've had a coyote attack it and knock it down..........