Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ideal predator calibres
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
I'm using my A-bolt in 25 06 at the moment. I plan on selling this when pred season ends march 31st. Its my deer rifle right now, well actually my Tikka in 270 WSM just arrived as the season ended.

I'm looking for a light varmint style rifle but if Remmy don't offer it in 243 by next winter, I'll look elsewhere. I'll probably look at building one maybe.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you dont mind destroying pelts why not use 30 cal largest bullet sellection 110,125 and 130grn "varmint" bullets will blow big holes in most any predator even small bear (under 500lbs).

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a good look at the Kimber Montana rifles. I have one in .243. With a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 and Burris Signature rings it weighs just under 6.75 lbs. Most of the bullet weights I've tested in it have produced accuracy in the .7-.8 range. The latest load I tested produce a .178 three-shot group. I am going to be testing this load further The rifle is also available in a .260. For the use you have described this could be your baby.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boilerroom,
As you well know, custom rifles offer options and accuracy you will not find in factory rifles. Why not get what you want, how you want it, from a custom gunsmith.

I hate to see someone "settle" for a rifle that is not what they wanted when the rifle of their dreams is only a phone call away. Granted they cost a touch more, but it's well worth it in the end.

My gunsmith has always said "buy your last rifle [or whatever] first". I have come to see the wisdom in that quote after struggling with factory rifles for several years.

Jim

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote