New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most versatile twist rate?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone shoot .224cal bullets from 35gn to 70gn out of the one rifle?

I figure you varminters would have a good idea on this.

Do many barrels shoot 35gn bullets as well as they can shoot 70gners?

I haven't experimented much with this, but my 6PPC will not stablize anything over 85gn(keyholes)that I have yet tried. It does well with 55 grainers, better with 70 grainers - not so fussy about the load but it will still shoot 55gn to .5MOA and better.

So what does it come down to?
In my limited experience it looks like you can shoot the lighter bullets ok, but shooting heavier bullets than the twist rate was designed for creates propblems.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a good question and may not be so easy to answer. Being a senior citizen and well seasoned long time reloader I always say it is much better to over spin a bullet than under spin one. In other words, you may get good accuracy with a lighter weight bullet in a fast twist bore. It is certain you will not get good accuracy trying shoot a long heavy bullet in a slow twist bore, as the bullet will not stablize in the slow twist bore.

You must first decide what weight bullets you intend shooting, then choose the twist rate best suited for your rifle. Most factory rifles are given twist rates that will accommodate the highest number of bullet weights available for that particular cartridge.

A perfect example would be the 30-06 cartridge is most often produced with the 1 in 10" twist rate. That twist rate will do well with bullet weights 118, 125, 130, 147, 150, 165, 168, 175, 180, 190, 200, 220, 240, 260. That is probbaly not all the bullet weights that are available for the venerable old 30-06 case.

It all boils dwon to the proper balance between bullet style and weight in relation to bore twist rate.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
WELL I SHOOT 40GR BALLISTIC TIPS MOSTLY, BUT HAVE SHOT SOME HEAVER THE SAVAGE SHOOTS PRETTY GOOD. ITS 1IN 9 TWIST.I THINK ITSHOOTS THE LIGHTER A LITTLE BETTER BUT NOT THAT MUCH MORE.I CAN REACH OUT THERE FARTHER WITH SMALLER WEIGHT BULLETS

one of us
posted Hide Post

Express:

This is from the Shilen Rifle Barrel website:

.224 CF 8" For bullets heavier than 70 gr.
9" For bullets up to 70 gr.
12" For bullets up to 63 gr.
14" For bullets up to 55 gr.
15"* For bullets up to 55 gr. driven 4,100 fps or more
16"* For bullets up to 55 gr. driven 4,300 fps or more

knobmtn

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Knobmtn, I've seen that shart too, what would be very usefull is the opposite;

Which twist rate will work DOWN to which wight, not UP to a certain wieght.
That way one can determine the range of wieghts that can be used with a particular twist.

The fact that the info isn't presented like this makes me think that it isn't a hard n fast rule when working with lighter bullets, so they don't specify the lightest weight.

I from what have learned I'll agree with Reloaders' comment that it is better to overspin than underspin a bullet.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Express:

I shot competetive benchrest for a long while. Its been estblished that the slowest twist rate possible for a given bullet at a given velocity will give the ultimate in accuracy. As an example I would mention the the guys who are presently shooting 30 BR's. They are using light(short) bullets in the area for 110-120 gr and using 16 and 17 twist barrels. I shot a 22PPC for a couple of seasons. After a couple of 14 twist barrels I tried a 15 twist. It was the most accurate barrel that I had shot with 52 gr bullets. I still use that barrel on a groundhog gun. I can shoot 55 gr Sierra Blitz bullets in it at around 3500fps. The Sierra is a shorter bullet. Some other brands won't stabilize.

I think the question is whether or not you want the ultimate in accuracy. The problem with faster twists is that they increase bullet rpm's. If there are any imperfections in the bullet jacket the fast twist (higher rpms) will exagerate the imperfections leading to a loss of accuracy. The instability factor will come in later.

All this being said keep in mind the benchrest game is a game of thousanth's of an inch in group size. In a hunting rifle I might make a compromise between the ultimate in accuracy and the ability to shoot light bullets.

If it were me I'd talk to Shilen's or Hart Rifle Barrels and tell them what it is that I wanted to do. My guess is that a 12 twist might put you where you want to be although you might not get to 70 gr bullets.

Also, remember that each rifle is an individual. You MIGHT get one barrel that will do it all.

knobmtn

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the rifle (rem LTR) comes with a 1:9 twist spefically for shooting 70gn bullets.

SO re-barreling won't be a concern for a long time yet.
As to the accuracy concern, yes, I always want ultimate accuracy in anything that isn't born as a hunting rifle.

Even in my hunting rifles I get all upset if I can't get MOA or even .5 in some cases.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll just have to wait n see what it does for me.

I'll post the results here, but it might be wuite a while vefore I get it home, the shop is 4 hours drive from here and I'll have to get the scope, base and rings over from the States before I'm happy n ready to go out n shoot.