Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel weight & length
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking to buy a .223 rifle for woodchuck hunting. I walk & stalk rather than set up in one location so overall weight is a major consideration. When looking at Remington, Savage, Tikka, CZ & Howa rifles I see overall weight between 6.2 to 10.5 lbs. I can't lug a ten pounder around but would try a heavier rifle if a couple of extra pounds made a siginificant difference in accuracy. I have read that a barrel doesn't have to be 26" long to be accurate and that 22.5" is more ideal. A long barrel is less noisy than a short one. A heavy weight barrel helps to dissapate heat when firing multiple shots but I seldom fire more than two in a row and often go an hour or two between shots. I know that a wide heavy stock is more stable off a bench and is able to be bedded better than a thinner fiberglass stock and that overall weight reduces felt recoil. I am shooting off a bi-pod or natural rest so a bench type stock isn't an advantage.
To summerize:
A CZ American 22" barrel @ 6.2 lbs. vs a Savage 12BVSS 26" barrel @ 10.5 lbs.
One shot out of a cold barrel.
How much actual difference in accuracy?

Posts: 12 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The little CZ seems to be a very good compromise. I'm told it is quite accurate in all the varmint calibers. I share your feelings about the Savage and also the Remington varmint rifles. They are terrific from the bench but not to lug around the fields. On a hot day the weight gets to you pretty quickly. Most of my rifles are better suited to the bench, but I keep a couple walking varminters. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heavy rifles are great from fixed positions. My walking varminter/woods loafer (.222 Remington) goes about 7.5# with a 2-7X scope.

Lugging around a 9-10# rifle is not my idea of fun, and is not necessary for my type of varmint hunting.

All the CZ rifles seem to be great shooters and extremely good values.

Posts: 129 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote