New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Coyote Thread.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I love to hunt coyotes and thought a big thread with lots of pics/info from our members would be a nice reference for newbies and just plain enjoyable for the vets. So here goes:

My favorite weapon for coyotes in a 16" flat-top AR-15. To me, a 16" HBAR points like it has eyes and makes fast shooting (target-rich environment ) relatively easy. I dug out a couple old pics and ran them through the scanner. Hopefully the rest of our members will follow suit!

Me with a BM AR-15 16" flat-top topped with a Weaver V10 2.5-10x50mm

Me (again) with a Colt CAR-15 24" topped w/ a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44mm (too much scope for coyotes but that's all I had that day...)

I do the majority of my hunting relatively close to home but here's a pic of one of my favorite destinations a little farther out - Nebraska National Forest - Halsey, NE.
(Gotta look hard to find the trees in this forest.... )

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I to am from the great state of Nebraska. I enjoy hunting coyotes by the moonlight when the ground is covered with snow. Your last picture looks like sandhill country. Am I correct? Not many coyotes around the Columbus area. Prefer to hunt up in Wheeler County. Better pelts.

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live on the east coast but Cyote Hunting is my very favorite form of hunting. I just got back from Nebraska shooting P.dogs and a couple of Coyotes...Its a beautiful state...I would love to live out there...The pix were great, got any more?
George

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the same great state. 7-30 I grew up just west of you. Small town of Fullerton. Lived on a family farm, so had lots of land to call yotes. I now live in south dakota. Western South dakota has a good population of yotes, but it is closer for me to drive to my parents farm and call. My weapon of choice is a custom .25-06, 75 gr. V-max at 3800 does the job.

Posts: 30 | Location: mitchell,sd | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebr.
Nice photos, I do some of my deer and yote hunting a few miles southeast of the "forest". I went on a Feb hog hunt, and one of the guys shot a texas yote- I wish he could see your photo because I told him that we have bigger foxes than the average texas coyote.

Steve

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I live to predator hunt. I mostly hunt Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Okalhoma. I use both hand and electronic calls and prefer my 22-250.

Bob

Here are a few pics from New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas:

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob in Texas

What do you do with them? Are the pelts worth anything nowadays?

I would not imagine that Texas coyotes develop the nice pelt that northern ones do...

The picture of the coyotes on the tailgate made me curious as to whether you normally take'em home to skin (or perhaps you just took them to the truck for a picture?).

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great thread Nebraska and good photos from you and Bob!

Back when I used to seriously hunt coyotes I never bothered to take a camera. Major mistake.

They are challenging critters to hunt and around where I grew up in SE New Mexico they learned real quick to be wary of callers...which made it that much tougher.

I shot one in the Sacramento Mtns of N.M. that was wolf sized. Took two of us to hang him from the fence.

This thread brings back lots of memories. By the by, I hunted most of mine with my 30/06, 125 gr SP going about Mach 3.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a scanner set up, but i've been addicted to hunting coyotes for almost 30 yrs. now, and have taken 40-70/season for the last 25 yrs. or so now. I've had some experiences doing it for sure as all have here no doubt, but one of the most memorable has got to be my 906 yarder i took with my XP 6.5-284 pistol 2 yrs. ago-- it can be seen @ this website-- www.perry-systems.com -- hunter testimonial.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob - The pelts on the 3rd and last coyote sure look nice!!! What's your favorite call and sequence??

sscoyote - If you'd like to drop photos in the mail, I'd be happy to scan 'em for ya and mail the originals back. That way you could share your memories/experience with everybody! Check your PMs....

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More from the Husker state!

Hawaii has nuttin' on us when it comes to sunrises/sunsests!

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
I just looked at the site you suggested....I've done a lot of long range shooting and a lot of practice. I have some very fine custom long range rifles and I've never taken an animal at 906 or ever 800 yds. Bye the way, I've really enjoyed your articles in Varminter Hunter Magazine. Fur Bullets for Southern Colorado Coyotes was great and I'm ready for another one like that one.....Again, Congratulations....George

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff-- ths. for the PM/offer-- i've got a scanner-- i just gotta get the thing hooked up. I'll have it up and running soon-- thks. again tho for the offer.

George-- thks much for noticing the article. Jeez, u must have some back issues-- that one was from awhile back. Didn't even have the slightest idea what i was doing back when i wrote that piece-- but i knew i sure liked to write-- and for a single guy back then it gave me something to do too. Just wish i could do it faster-- hell it takes me 6 months to finish one, and now that i'm married-- i can usually tack on another month or so on top of that. BUT-- i've got one going into VHA entitled, "On the Tactical Pursuit of Coyotes", that i think (hope) u like. It details some of the aspects of Gerald Perry's Exbal ballistics program (among other things) that allowed me to make that LUCKY shot. But thks. to Gerald-- it was at least calculated luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Roger-- i love that signature u have on the bottom of your postings-- that's one of the best i've seen so far. I laughed out loud on that one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SSCoyote...

Glad I made your day....!

I'm always good for a one liner..but today I'm busier than a one legged man in a but kickin' contest so I can't oblige...

R

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob in Texas,
I liked the pictures you posted, good job....Would you please tell me about the stock on the rifle in the first picture...Is it an H-S Precision? Looks like my kind of stock. I would appreciate any information you can share.
George

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
That rifle in the first photo is wearing an H.S. Precision stock. It is a custom 22-250 I had Hill Country Rifles build on a Model 7 action with a Lilja #4 barrell. This is the same rifle:

I still skin some of the dogs, but with prices being what they are most of them end up feeding the other critters and the ranchers are happy.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Thanks for the reply and picture....Thats my kind of rifle. I have a couple with #4 barrels in the H-S Precision stock. One in .223 AI and one in .243 Win. I usually do a little work to them, shape them up a little bit, but I like them a lot...The 22-250 is a good choice for coyotes I think...Thanks again.
George

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
It sounds like you've had a lot of experience with Coyotes and the 22-250. I would appreciate it if you would geve me the benefit of your experience with different bullets...For example:What is your opinion of the 50 gr. Nosler BAllistic tip?, Hornady 50 gr. v-max?, or any others that you favor.....Thanks again...
George