THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Upgrade the Mini-14 or Buy a Bolt Action Rifle for Varmint Hunting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upgrade the Mini-14 or Buy a Bolt Action Rifle for Varmint Hunting
 Login/Join

posted
I am new to varmint hunting and have a SS Mini-14 Ranch version that I am thinking of having it accurized through Accuracy Systems in Colorado.

I am not sure if I should buy the Harmonic Stabalizer plus front sight for about $400 or spend over $700 and have a new 20" Krieger SS .920 Bull Barrel, trigger job, and their steel pin bedding system. The latter is guaranteed to shoot sub moa. I plan to use the rifle as a varmint rifle for ground squirrels and coyotes.

I spoke with a few friends and they said to forget about upgrading my Mini-14 used the money to buy a new Savage rifle in .223 and/or .22-250.

Any thoughts on semi-auto vs. bolt action for varmint hunting. Should I upgrade the Mini-14? Should I get a bolt action rifle?

XMan

Posts: 13 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In particular, the Mini-14 is not tremendously accurate. It is not so much a question of Semi-auto versus bolt action, as it is a Mini-14 versus another gun for varmints. A Mini-14 is a great gun - I have a Ranch Rifle in .223 that is fun. But is not a gun for tiny targets far away. You will spend as much to buy and accurize a Mini-14 (in my opinion) as you would to get a good AR-15 that will still shoot more accurately than the accurized Mini-14. I use a bolt action Savage or CZ 527 for my varmint hunting, and both were "good to go" right from the box, although I did adjust the trigger on my Savage to be a little lighter.

A Mini-14 can be a good gun for called predators when the range is not too great and multiple shots at a running coyote might be in order.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time and money will be better spent on a good bolt gun. I have Remingtons, but from what a lot guys says Svages are a great buy for the money, too bad they're not real pleasing to the eye. Ifyou don't mind looking around you can often something on the used market. 721's in 222 are great rifles, I know, I've two of them, and both are now one hole shooters.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would highly recommend one of the quality AR-15s. I have a Bushmaster V-match 16" that shoots sub-moa. It's a flat-top, so scope mounting is easy and sure.

Bushmasters and Armalites tend to be very, very accurate. About all the usually need done is maybe replace the trigger if you can't stand it.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
For varmint hunt: Bolt gun all the way......The very best semi-auto will cost 3x of what a good bolt gun will get in accuracy. A $1700.00-$1900.00 semi-auto verses a $600.00-$900.00 bolt gun that gets as good or better accuracy then high end semi-auto. IMO

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
XMan,

I have a Mini 14 that I use as a duty weapon that I had A.R.S. work one of their miracles on. I have used it for varmints, mostly coyotes, but for the money you are going to spend on a accuracy job for get it and get the Savage. You'll be money ahead. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Bushmaster A4 V-match sells for around $900 in the lower 48. Might have a hard time getting one in Cali, though. I really like the fast follow-up shots and 20 round mags (cheap) from a gun that shoots as well as 99% of all bolt guns made.

This is just my opinion. I wouldn't mind having a heavy-barreled bolt action in 22-250 or 220 Swift, though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Xman - you're flogging a dead horse trying to "accurize" the Mini-14. And it's about as cost effective as trying to make a dragster out of a dump truck.

Save yourself some time, grief, frustration and money and just get yourself a good bolt action rifle. You should NEVER over-look a good opportunity like this to get yourself a new gun. You may even want to consider some better calibers for long range varmit work than the 223. This cartridge is good within its range but will never be the ultimate varmit rig.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
X,
If you are right-handed, as is 98% of the world, I would go with Pecos and get a new gun. There are a slew of sites offering guns at less-than-retail prices, aka auction sites and big-volume dealers, on the web. I'm a lefty; I'm pretty much SOL for something like this. I have seen scopes on eBay, as well. The 22-250 is a favorite cartridge for varmints as is the 243 for the bigger ones like coyotes. For some real fun and bellylaughs, go to www.dogbegone.com and watch them explode into big, bloody chunks. Look under Sample Clips on the left, toward the bottom. I'd like to know with what load the shooters are doing such damage to those furry little buggers. If you have access to a hi-speed connection, watch the "Gutless in Montana" video clip in full-screen mode; it's awesome. [Cool] [Big Grin]

[ 08-05-2003, 03:39: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank you guys for all your wisdom and have decided NOT to upgrade my stock Mini-14. I will be a buying a bolt action rifle. I was looking at rifles today and have my sights on a Remington 700 VS.

Thanks again!

Posts: 13 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Trademark...
Where do you shoot in the D/FW area? I've thought about moving there because there are so many available women, but a man needs to shoot his weapon as well as his gun, you know. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always liked to be a bit different. Depending on what you want out of your rifle I think you will like the Mini-14.
I own an Ar-15 and an Accurized Mini-14. When my friends come over to shoot, unless they have never shot the AR-15, the Mini is what they grab.
$400.00 for a Mini, add another $700.00 in goodies and you equal the price of a decent Colt and accuracy will be comparable.
Don't forget Hi-caps for the Mini are now priced unreasonable.
My personal opinion is do not just hang a weight on the end of the barrel, install a heavy barrel and do it right!!

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XMan:
I would like to thank you guys for all your wisdom and have decided NOT to upgrade my stock Mini-14. I will be a buying a bolt action rifle. I was looking at rifles today and have my sights on a Remington 700 VS.

Thanks again!

Good choice! You'll be much happier, and dollars ahead.

And welcome to the forum!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rootbeer-

I shoot at a range just north/east of Las Colinas (Irving). There are numerous other ranges around throughout the metroplex, as well. It's certainly not hard to find a place.

I do 90% of my shooting outside of town on various places I might be hunting or back home on the ol' family farm/ranch.

You're barking up the right tree if you're looking for young, available, desirable women, though...

posted Hide Post
Hello Xman
PMFJI
I also didnt want to put out those big dollars for having my mini accurized. Barrel shortening et al. However I found several (with the help of other Mini enthusiasts) inexpensive things you can DIY to your mini to get it to shoot 1.5 probably even better at 100yards, plus eliminate those pesky flyers.

#1 Trigger job 2.5 to 3 lbs
#2 Replace original stock w/a Houge overmolded stock. A great stock plus youll gain an inch in length.
#3 Bed the action
#4 add a lighter action buffer
#5 Install a "Black Widow" double Muzzle break

#1 $50.00 Send out
#2 $60.00 Midway (DIY)
#3 $25.00 Accra Glass Midway Brownells etc. (DIY)
#4 $10.00 Several places to purchase kit from (DIY
#5 $20.00 Cheaper than Dirt (DIY)
$175.00 outlay

#6 Handloads some of the fellas are getting great performance with 40-45 grainers.

If your were to try just one of my suggestions to see for yourself start with #5 the Double Muzzle Break, $20.00 and 5 minutes of time to install it yourself with no specialized tools or knowledge needed. Tap the front sight roll pin out, slide on the DMB replace roll pin with the provided longer roll pin.

I'm confident that you will see consistent 2/2.5 in. groups at 100yds for a simple $20.00 investment.

All The Best
Steel

--------------------
Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan

Posts: 19 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Talon! That was excellent information on how to accurize my Mini-14. I love my Mini-14 but not enough to plunk down over $700 dollars in upgrades for a guarantee of MOA or less using high quality ammo. I will upgrade my Mini with the items you suggested and see if it shoots tighter groups.It shoots about 3 1/2" groups with quality ammo at 100 yards

XMan

posted Hide Post
Hello XMAN,

The Smith that is recogmended is named MikeKnifong. You can get the trigger done for $50.
bushing for $10. and a how to video on bedding the houge for $10. from him

LMK if you need any info..

All The Best'
Talon

Posts: 19 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How Bill Ruger ever sold that many of them things still astounds me!!!! Mini-14's wouldn't make a wart on good bolt varmint rifles butt!!!!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think Bill ever planned on selling them to long range bench rest shooters..he offered too many other guns that were designed for that particular purpose. The mini's are for short range vermin blasting and hard medium range use in a deer camp where reliability is more important than precision. I and many friends have used them in this category with great success and satisfaction, but certainly we don't try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Posts: 225 | Location: YYZ | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Trademark...
Took a trip down to Del Rio this week; saw a small a sign for the DeSoto Gun Club as I went south on 35E in that area. Have you ever shot there? How long is it? I'm looking for a minimum of 500 yards. [Confused]

<squirrel skinner>
posted
it depends on what you want, don't let some one talk you into a rifle that you wont use as much. besides as long as it shoot sub-MOA groups you should be fine with any target that your skill level enables you to hit, or to the cartridges ability.
skinner