Find
Notify
Tools

Asking permission
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of x-51
posted
Hello everyone. I was just wandering how many of you have asked permission to hunt on private land even though its already posted?

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I used to do it all the time up in Oregon. Usually not for geese and deer but for coyotes. Ranchers were more likely to let me take the coyotes and it gave me a chance to prove myself.

Since I came down here chasing work it's been different. Landowners here are not very open to hunting unless you pay them. I have had guys come into the gun shop "complaining" about the damage the wild pigs were doing to thier crops, then when I offered to help out they told me it would cost $350 and one other guy used the same ploy at a higher price. I politely told him that his crop "damage" apparently wasn't significant. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Lots of posted land around here in Colorado. Have found that if I ask to varmint hunt first, I've been given the chance to hunt antelope, then whitetail (yeah, we've got them on the eastern prairie). It all depends on how you ask, how you dress, and what you drive. (It's his land, ask nicely; don't go in city slicker clothes; don't pull up in a Cadillac or a sky-high pickup; and a feedstore hat helps).
If refused, don't take it badly, just ask if they know someone who might allow you to hunt. Surprisingly, this has resulted in several nice locations!
Oh, one other thing. We have some written permission slips that have a hold-harmless statement to protect the rancher/farmer. THAT impresses them!

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a good question. I suggest going alone.

Just knock on doors and say that you would like to hunt woodchucks there or whatever varmint is common. Don't use the word "permission" or mention hunting big game until you know your way around the place.

The comment above about asking for other places is very important. If you get the ok ask where it's ok to park and don't ask if you can bring a buddy or your kid yet. Also don't offer too much as around here at least the tradition is that permission is free. It's good however to give small things. I leave grease other products that I sell on farms.

Don't offer beer or drinks like that. Listen carefully. Keep a low profile and start out with a .22.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
If you don't ask, you'll never know!

I try my best to "size" up the property first, just in case I feel like offering to help bale hay for a day in exchange for permission. I'm not looking for a lease, so if $ came up in the conversation I would politely find someplace else.

I just got permission the other day to hunt a sizeable farm near me. Not only did I get permission, the landowner took me for a ride in his truck to show me the good spots and his property boundaries! We also "had to" stop in to meet the neighbor (who owns another couple of hundred acres and doesn't hunt - guess who I'm going to ask soon?). When we got back to the house, they invited me for dinner, but I had to get home!

The old farmer was happy to have me there, but, like any old wise farmer, told me "Just be sure not to shoot ALL of the coyotes, as they keep the woodchucks down".

I keep to a couple of rules, though:
1. Go when you are least likely to inconvenience the owner (don't show up at 6 AM or 10 PM).
2. Dress presentable, but like a local.
3. Leave your name and phone number, take their name/phone number/address - send a Christmas Card once a year.
4. Make sure you are clear on where you should/shouldn't park.
5. Make a point to emphasize safety.
6. Simple things like pulling wind broken branches out of the hayfields as you walk by say a lot about you.
7. Abide by the simple rules - I know guys that were told "OK, but you can only hunt on that side of the road" - they couldn't resist and got thrown off both sides of the road.
8. Don't shoot the cats.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some good comments above, but let me add a few being one of the "land owners" that this conversation is about. First off nothing and I mean NOTHING pisses off a land owner more than to have some one wander on to their place without asking. Even if it is honestly a mistake we hear "oh I'm sorry I thought this was so and so's place" so much and alot of times it's a lie they know there on the wrong place and the only thing their sorry about is getting caught. So make extra sure that know the boundaries of the place and don't cross them. 99% of the time if you do and get caught your chances of ever getting to hunt that place or the place you did get permission to hunt are very nil. I've had neighbors call me very mad that some guy I let hunt is one their place, if thats you, you can better believe your getting kicked off and never coming back. Also don't get permission to hunt by yourself and come back the next week with a pickup full of people its in very bad taste.

As far as the $$$$$$ for hunting permission, that is getting more common here too, the farmers are having a tough time making ends meet and are looking in every direction to raise extra cash, can't blame them for that. They did after all pay between $3000 and $10,000 an acre for the land your asking permission to hunt on and have alot of risk and overhead to try to stay ahead of.

If the land owner does say yes ask him if he'd like to go with you. You might be suprised what you can learn about the area, if he says no don't sweat it ask him next time he might just be busy that day.

Be very saftey minded, I've had people pepper my house and shop before......your gone fast. I've even had a guy pepper my combine before WHILE I WAS IN IT! Also obey the law, this is mostly aimed at bird hunters if the limit is two pheasants don't shoot two and take them to your pickup and come back to shoot two more, when you see the farmer on his cell phone in the combine he might just be talking to the local game warden about you!

Next thing is don't wear out your welcome, what I mean is don't show up once a week asking to hunt it gets old, spread your hunting out to many different areas so the farmer/rancher doesn't feel like your "mining" the place. And I think it was already stated above but don't show up at 6 AM on Sunday morning, I have to get up at 5:30AM and put in 12-14 hour days all week including Saturday, I want to sleep on Sunday morning please.

Things that I've had guys do that I've let hunt that I appriciate is just a symbol of gratitude. I've had them give me gift certificates to a local restaurant, bird vests or a couple boxes of shells, sometimes they will leave salmon steaks just simple things like that. Anyway I have several dozen guys come and ask to hunt every year and most of the time if I don't have relatives or friends that are coming to hunt I let them.

Sorry if some of this sounds a little soap boxish but I am just trying to relay some of the frustrations on the land owners side of things that I hope helps you to know both sides of the coin and just might get you permission more often. Good Luck! and Good Hunting!

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Your tips sound very useful and I'll probably ask the fellow this evening after work.

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Forgot two others:

1. Don't wait until the week/day before the season starts to ask permission,
2. Remember that regardless of if you get permission or not, your actions reflect upon all other hunters coming after you.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
One good thing is here in KY coyote season is open all year long. By the way erict, thats a beautiful coyote.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was always told not to ask for permission, ask for forgivness!!! beer

Actually I have asked many times and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose!!!

Make every shot count!!!

Make every shot Count!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was always told not to ask for permission, ask for forgivness!!!

That might work someplaces, but do not try it around here. Like stated above, finacially farmers are getting squeezed pretty good right now. We tend to have lost our sense of humor.

the farmer formerly known as Bill in NE

Posts: 22 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 03 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to one of the aritcles I wrote for "Trapper & Predator Caller" magazine on the subject that may help a bit: Coyote Calling Article Link

I would never call anyone's land without asking permission first, posted or not.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second everything bearcat said , along with emphasis on being upfront about how many people you are bringing with . It really ticks you off when a guy gets permission for himself or maybe one or two pals , and then you see he has brought all the cousins , uncles , and most of his bar buddies along .

I would say a lone coyote hunter or varminter would have pretty good luck getting permission in most farm/ranch country .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That might work someplaces, but do not try it around here. Like stated above, finacially farmers are getting squeezed pretty good right now. We tend to have lost our sense of humor.[/QUOTE]

Billiam,

That was supposed to be funny....When I need to find a place to hunt that I always ask...

A mans land is his castle!!! Even if it just for hunting. It is sacred!!!

beer

Make every shot Count!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
In Colorado, if you're hunting without permission, you may see the local sheriff's deputy and be given a summons for trespassing. They get verrrry serious here. The comment about you receiving permission, not all your friends is important. I've had ex..and I do mean ex-friends I've taken with me at separate times, then found out each took a group to the same area later on!
Ended up with both of us losing out.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
Well, good news. Spoke to one person and it turns out he knows my dad and was happy to have me come out and hunt sometime. When I asked if he would like to go, he said he only had a shotgun. I told him I'd bring him an extra rifle and he said he'd rather just take me to where he'd been seeing the yotes and watch me do the shooting! Ended up talking to the fella for about 2 hours, a real character.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being in cattle country ("the west") and having an ag degree, I can vouch that nothing ticks off a rancher/farmer more than hunters not closing gates. I have been to places that won't let anybody hunt because a few bad apples let the cows out. Luckily my job gives me the luxury of interacting with ranchers everyday and that means a lot to them. The best thing to do is get to know how the farmers and ranchers operate in the area you want to hunt. That way there isn't any social/political tension. What especially helps is if you have local license plates or you can be found having a coffee before work at the local donut shop. Even if they don't know your name, if they recognize you or know who you work for they will feel better about letting you hunt.

Don't be too proud to sit down with a farmer and have a snack or a coffee if they ask. The time you spend B.Sing will be well spent.

I have also been know to send Christmas cards, gift certificates, thank you cards, etc. If I get an animal, I make sure that I stop by to give them some summer sausage or jerky as a thanks.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually just knock on their door in plain clothes and ask this:

"Sir, I was wondering if you would allow me(and my companions) to do some varmint hunting on your land. We're only interested in woodchuck, crow, and maybe some coyote."

wait for responce.

if "yes",

"thank you very much. Do you have any certain locations where the game is causing you problems? Or any locations you'd rather us stay clear of?" ...wait for reply.

then I thank him/her again.

After I'm done hunting, I let them know that I'm leaving their property and give them a report of what I took.

If you have to track your animal, you aren't using a big enuff gun.

Posts: 31 | Location: Brookville, PA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Knight: Kudos for your comments. Works often.

MThuntr: Definitely! Have had some great meals this way. Many of these people have limited interaction due to the extreme amounts of work required on their farms and ranches. The chance to talk really is a gift to them. My daughter (yep, daughter) owns one of the largest Purina-selling feed stores in Colorado. Her father is a psych professor. Guess who gets contacted for leads when I need it? Wink

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearcat:
...Sorry if some of this sounds a little soap boxish but I am just trying to relay some of the frustrations on the land owners side of things that I hope helps you to know both sides of the coin and just might get you permission more often. Good Luck! and Good Hunting!

Good stuff there. Thanks for the view from the other side.

Soap boxish? Not at all. It is your land and you have the right to control who hunts there.
It sounds like you've had a pretty fair share of idiot hunters, too. I am sorry about that
A few really do ruin it for the many.

I have permission to hunt on a couple of PRIME local ranches, ranches other hunters wish they could get access to. When my friends find out, they ALL want to come.
I explain to them it took me years of positive interaction with these ranchers to get them to allow me access to their land.
Why would I take a chance on ruining that?

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont know if they still do this, but some farmers used to get "green tags" for for their land because of crop damage due to deer or other game. Generally when posted as "green tag" all you had to do is let the farmer know you were hunting there and keep your vehicle out of traveled lanes. Permission was automatic due to the crop damage culling permit.

the PA Game Commission green tag posting made the land open to hunt. ...but I haven't seen a green tagged farm in close to 8 years now. they had to be posted like "No trespassing" signs every so many feet.

You guys might want to keep an eye out for them in PA if you need hunting grounds. ...but like I said, dont know if PA's GC does that anymore.

If you have to track your animal, you aren't using a big enuff gun.

Posts: 31 | Location: Brookville, PA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote