Find
Notify
Tools

Proper barrel break in?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
Is there any way to get around this. How about Tubb's barrel lapping rounds or lapping paste. I have a 223 wssm that I am just not that excited about spending that much money to protect the barrel. I actually am pretty close to saying screw it and if I burn the bore out so be it. I will then be able to put a medium bull barrel on it like I like and be happy. But I am still on the fence.

So where do you guys stand?

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
GVG,

I agree with you.

I was in the same position with a CZ I picked up.

If you don't like the barrel, don't spend any time or money on it. I wouldn't even shoot it. I would order what you want to replace it, and sell this one for what ever you can get for it.

Shooting this one will mean you will have to FL resize any brass shot in it, before shooting in the new chamber. You are using up your brass for nothing. At the price of brass today, to me it is something to consider.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Food for thought, for lapping compounds to do their work, they must remove metal. Even hand lapped barrels from the top makers still require a break-in. Truthfully, the break-in doesn't protect the accuracy as much as it finishes the throat area in the barrel meaning less cleaning as you go on. On a factory hammer forged barrel you probably won't notice much of a difference. Shoot in peace.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a factory hammer forged barrel the actual bore surface is much like the surface microstructure of rolled threads, while a cut, buttoned or broached barrel is very rough and the crystaline structure is "disrupted" by the forming of the rifling.

So they must all be lapped to SOME degree...

In a factory hammer-forged barrel exhaustive lapping is more likely to hurt than help, particularly if you are working with a stainless steel tube...

Frankly I think the biggest problem with hammer forged barrels is that the barrel makers are still using "traditional" materials for barrels.

"traditional" includes 416L, the most common stainless alloy used.

The problem with these alloys is that they were chosen for their machinability, I.E. the ability to deep bore then rifle them.

cutting the external threads, profiling and chambering are by comparison trivial machining exercises.

What I'm angling at is the fact that there are FAR superior materials, certain rediculously strong (and more importantly more errosion resistant) alloys that would resist even the rediculous abuse of Prarie dog shooting with a 257Wby, these range from Ni-Cr alloys (containing only a trace of Iron) to similar alloys containing cobalt (Hastelloy family)
to some of the mirraging steels.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Bore Boar Hunter gut it right with respect to what you're doing when breaking in a barrel.

The idea of shoot one and clean for X number of shots and then shoot 2 or 3 and clean for an X number of shots is something developed by benchrest shooters who need to see if a barrel is accurate in a short period of time.

I'm convinced that the typical hunter, using factory barrels, is better served using the Tubb's Final Finish product --- after he see how badly the barrel may be fouling or in the vase of Barnes bullets, how much copper it being plated in the barrel. --- but I can also say that I've never seen the Tubb's system make a barrel worse and have seen many, many more that it's helped. Read the instructions carefully and only use the grit-grades you need.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use to do all that shoot and clean stuff, now I shoot a bunch about 10 to 15 rounds. Then I clean and cool it down. Do it all over again. I have found with the last 5 or 6 new guns they turn out just as good as the shoot and clean every shot or two method.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
223 WSSM............get excited about some other chambering!! I wouldn't bother breaking the barrel in, just order a new barrel and put the take off on Ebay or somewhere to get rid of it!! Haven't seen or heard of one yet that was "What was expected"!! Good luck with the "project"! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do I get Tubb's Final Finish ?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote