THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Who uses 33gr TNT in their HORNET....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who uses 33gr TNT in their HORNET....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've always been a V-MAX man myself but was trying to work up an accurate load using the 33gr and lil gun. A lot of people says lil gun and bullets lighter than 40gr just do not work well together. I was loading them to 3060 fps but the best group was just under 2" at 100yrds. I bought some H110 to see how it does. According to Speer, 12.8gr would put you just over 3200 fps. I know the B.C. of this bullet is only .080 but using out to 100 yrds or so should be pretty fun. By the way, my Hornet is a H&R with the 1:12 twist. Anyone successfully loading this little bullet? Thanks and Happy New Year!

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.22 Hornet

Your should be able to buy some surplus AA1680 for about half the price of those powders and get some very good results.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting two Hornets using 35 grain VMax and Lil'Gun:
CZ 527-13 grains.
BSA Martini-11 grains.
Accuracy is outstanding in both-sub 1/2 MOA in the CZ and sub 3/4 MOA in the Martini.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.22 Hornet: In order for me to "break" the 1.000" group barrier (5 shots at 100 yards!) with my latest Hornet Rifle - I had to go to the 35 gr. Hornady V-Max!
I have not tried the 33 gr. TNT bullet as yet.
I am using H 110 powder with the 35 gr. V-Max bullets to get my Ruger #1-B in 22 Hornet to perk up and shoot under M.O.A.!
I have a Leupold 6x18 variable on this Ruger #1-B and if it did not have such beautiful wood on it I would have sold it a couple of years ago - 22 Hornet or not!
Good luck with your search for accuracy and the 33 grainers and H 110! And good luck if your try the 35's also.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 33 grain TNT is a great disappointment to me, largely because I have had such very good luck with the 50 grain TNT in a .222. There is no reason in a bullet that light to have made it SO stubby and rounded, with such a poor B.C. Despite its disappointing shape, I tried some with previuosly proven powders in my K-Hornet, but with marginal results. Speer goofed on this design.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek ,
Many bullets designed specifically for the hornet are short and stubby so as to fit within factory OAL specification .
If you had a CZ Hornet you would understand why . Magazine won't hold longer projectiles .
Hornady make a 45 grainer with a BC of .202 which is about the best you can do for short magazines in terms of BC .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
Stonecreek ,
Many bullets designed specifically for the hornet are short and stubby so as to fit within factory OAL specification .

True, however the little 33 grain TNT could have been designed with a somewhat longer ogive and still be as short as the "standard" 45 grain Hornet bullet. Having yet to hear a good review of the 33 TNT, I'm hoping that Speer will redesign and re-release it soon.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried them in both a hornet and a k hornet & just couldn't get them to shoot well. went back to the Vmax and nosler BT's

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
When up against a short magazine and needing just a few thousandths I just file off most of the plastic. At short woods ranges here accuracy sometimes gets a bit better seating out and lost bc isn't a real factor in effect on target.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good results with the sierra 45 gr .224 bullet, but may go lighter next lot I load up, I have a cz 527 so the oal mag issues affect me to.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I cant wait for my 22K Hornet, should have it in the next two weeks, I'll be using 40grHP Sierra and 35gr VMax bullets.

The rifle will be used for calling jackal and as we do not have any value for the fur I am not botherd to much about fur damage.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using 35 gr V-max pushed by 12.0 gr IMR 4227... works in my hornet for a about 2 years now. I use 13.5 grs Lilgun in the K hornet with the 35 gr V-max....works great....at least for me.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote