THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: .22 / .30 sabot loads for .30/06

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .22 / .30 sabot loads for .30/06
 Login/Join

posted
If you are a reloader, both the Speer and Hodgdon manuals have sections for reduced recoil loads. I caution you to not try and make your own reduced loads by just decreasing the powder charge. This can be very dangerous. Also, Remington and Federal recently started producing reduced recoil ammo for 30-06 and .270. I read an article on the new ammo that said it basically did what the manufacturer states. To make a currently owned rifle more pleasant to shoot for women and children without having to go out and purchase a .243 for instance. Hope this helps. Chris

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I'd be more inclined to look for very light loads with standard 110-130 grain .30 cal varmint bullets, and make sure the novice shooters have excellent ear protection. More of the frightening unpleasantness of shooting a "big" gun comes from the noise than from the actual recoil in most cases (Saeed's .577 Tyrannosaur excepted), and with good ear protection these loads should be no problem. The sabot loads throw in additional complications, and while some have reported good results, I think you'll do well to avoid them.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote