New
Find
Notify
Tools

New varmint rifle question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking to buy a varmint rifle (I currently do not own one) and would like opinions regarding the different brands. What are everyone's thoughts regarding CZ, Remington, Savage, & Weatherby varmint rifles in 22-250? The rifle would be used for praire dog & long range shooting. Thanks

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a handful of heavy barrel Rem 700s, in 17 FB, 223, 204R, 22-250 and 220 swift. All are excellent out of the box shooters. Trigger jobs have been done on all of them, and that's easy to do. All are in HS precision type stocks that I had glass bedded.
In my view you can not go wrong with these.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some of the rifles you mention; a CZ 527 in 223, a Weatherby Vanguard in 223, and a Rem Model 7 also in 223. All with some tweaking shoot 3 shots into 1/2" at 100 yards.
I know that Savage and Tikka get great press for their accuracy, I just haven't ever owned or shot any of them.
A good friend of mine up here owns a Tikka in 22-250 and he showed my four groups he shot with it that all measured about 1/4" to 3/8" for 3 shots at 100 yads. I could not believe how accurate that rifle is. You might want to consider a Tikka too.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I have Varmint rifles by Rem, Howa, Win, Ruger and now Savage.. first preference would be recommend a Savage...

accurate and I have learned all about being able to switch barrels on them too.. which is not overly hard.. believe me if Seafire can do it, anyone in the world can do it...

I have 3 Savages and am selling off some of the other varmint rifles and just getting barrels for the 3 Savage Actions...

they are accurate and are like a tinker toy for changing stuff on...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Tikka M595, .223Rem, Five 40 grain Nosler's into 16mm x 8mm ragged hole at 100 meters, load is Vit N133 24.8 grains, Reach out & touch your Fox problem @ 300m, Substitute 52 grain A-max over same load for small deer,So predictably repeatable it's getting boring! wave Less is more! less noise! less powder! Cool

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wookie316
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington (my one & only) in 22-250 VSF Desert Tan Here is what it shoots like.

Here it is with the new 6.5x20x40mm VXIII LR I put on it.

Posts: 138 | Location: Border City (On the poor side)}:-( | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
She sure is a sweet looki'n tool, Just that in our fully packed island she'd be a bit noisy in a few places, although I can think of a few spots I'd shoot her anyways!! dancing

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wookie316:
I have a Remington (my one & only) in 22-250 VSF Desert Tan Here is what it shoots like.

Here it is with the new 6.5x20x40mm VXIII LR I put on it.

P.S. I also like your "Start em young philosophy" Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Wookie316
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The only thing I love more than shooting is my wife & kids.

Posts: 138 | Location: Border City (On the poor side)}:-( | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Seafire; the Savage Varminters are excellent shooters. IMHO they are the best "BANG" for the buck. Mine is the plainjane 12fv in 22-250.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information!

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer single shot bolt action varmint rifles. The Remington XR-100 and Savage Precision Varmint Right-Bolt, Left Port are excellent! You might prefer the Savage with the fast 1:8 twist for your application.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dude i love my guns and my kids just as much as anyone but the photo is f-n wierd.

On the rifle subject, savage or tikka you cant go wrong with either.

Posts: 7 | Location: ms | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.. If I buy another fur rifle in bolt action it will be a CZ 527 and or a Ruger 77 MK II VT .. Tho I like my M700 VTR better than I did during the winter , it still jams about 1/4 of the time and hasn,t been very accurate yet .... I don,t need a 22 250 .. Hard enough to get get fur as it is without blowing the off side of the hide off ..... But if you are hunting varmints , blowing them up is kind of the job ......I,m pretty happy with the 223 cartridge ... I have handled the Savage Predator rifle and it is real nice ... One of the things I like about the CZ is the action is actually sized correctly for the tiny little cartridges .. Plus they have a set trigger .... I would go with at least a 9" twist tho .

Seafire , that was a great comment on tinker toys rotflmo...........

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Gumboot. The CZ 527's micro mauser action is what sold me. I just love my 204.

However, if your deadset on the 22-250 then you have to go to the CZ 550.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have a 204 Ruger stainless laminate, but I think I'll probably end up with the Weatherby Sub-Moa Vanguard in 22-250. Nice Rifle!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi bwoodie,

I have several custom rifles and look for better quality in a rifle. The newer Remingtons barrels are not up to the quality they were 10 years ago. I finally broke down and bought a Hawkeye Bore Scope and now can see the quality of the barrels being put out. I have an old Remington 721 that is in better shape than some of the new Remingtos I've seen.

Ruger barrel have been improving over the last several years. CZ barrel are very nice. Savage barrels are the best I've seen on a factory rifle. I like the accutrigger and the ability to change barrels at the range.

One of the guys at the range bought 3 new Kimbers. The first one we had trouble fouling. after over 100 round trying to break in the barrel, we looked at the barrel. Not impressed. Secomd gun after a few shots, we found this barrel needed lapping. Not much help. We looked down the barrel and sent this gun back. The replacement barrel wasn't much better. I went to the local gun store and looked at their rifles. These guns looked fine.

If I were looking for a new varmint rifle, I'd look at Savage. They are a very good rifle right out of the box and you can up grade later to a different caliber and stock. Take a good look at their 6mm BR. You can drive tacks with them and have very long barrel life.

Catch you later,

The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only one I have experience with is the Remington 700 Varmint Special. I shot enough Pdogs that I had to rebarrel it. I also won factory matches with it. Adjusting the trigger is a simple job --you can find out how on the internet-- just don't think you're Rambo and go too light.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ527 American sporter in .223 and a Savage LRPV (single shot left port right bolt long range precision varmint rifle). If you are going to be shooting long range, the LRPV in .22-250 is an excellent choice. Mine shot 3/8" groups right out of the box.

For walk around varmint hunting, every time I reach in the safe, my hand grabs the CZ527 in .223. I can't seem to leave it home., and if I take it, I use it. I shot a ground hog at 203' off hand (67 yards) with it yesterday. I've shot them off hand from 30 to 67 yards and off a rest from 50 to 154 yards. I've seen and shot at 16 ground hogs while carrying it at distances from 30 yards to 154 yards this summer. All were one shot kills, lying dead in their shadow.

My ammunition of choice for the CZ is Winchester Brass with the flash hole cleaned up, 40g Nosler BT seated .0.020" off the lands, 28.0g of AA2460, CCI400 primer. It shoots into groups like this:

and has devastating terminal performance on ground hogs. I think properly placed it would do the job on a coyote though my first choice for a coyote is my rebarreled Savage Model 10 .243 shooting 55g Nosler BT or 75g Hornady V-Max. It's a tack driver with every bullet from 55g Nosler BT to the 95g Nosler BT.

We don't get long shots here like in the more arid reigons of the country. The longest possible shot where I usually hunt ground hogs is 311 yards and it would be about impossible to see a ground hog that far away in the grass even though I trim it with the brush cutter now and then.

Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote