THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Long Range 6mm Rem bullet suggestions:

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range 6mm Rem bullet suggestions:
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for anyone experienced using a 6mm Rem for long range shooting, at 600 yds or so. This is a project for a nephew who will have several weeks home from the military before having to ship out to Afghanistan....

He is only 18 and wants to go out with his dad and me to shoot prairie dogs one more time before going overseas on a tour....

For graduation I had him built a 6mm Rem on an Enfield action with a Boyd's Grey Laminate Varmint stock, with a 1 in 7 twist.....

I will load up the ammo for him so when he gets home all we have to do is throw it in the truck and get out to the prairie dog towns around Billings Montana...

Bullet candidates currrently are 75 grain Hornady HP, 75 grain V Max, 87 grain V Max, 105 grain AMax, 80 grain Nosler Ballstic Tip, 90 grain BT, and 95 grain BT, 85 grain Sierra HP, 90 grain Speer SP....Rifle has a 1 in 7 twist to it with a 28 inch heavy barreled varmint weight...

Scope is going to be a New Nikon, 6 to 18....

suggestions appreciated!

cheers and good shooting
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

I haven't varminted on PDs but do shoot the odd rabbit and a lot of deer with my 6mmrem all with the 90gr BT

The 90gr BT is a great all round bullet
For powder look no futher than VVN160 which being available in 2lb will load a lot of rounds! 45.5gr is 1.5gr off the Nosler 90gr BT max and should give you 3,250fps and mild pressures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, I have shot a fair amount of prairie dogs with a 6mm Remington, some in excess of 750 yards.

My all time favorite long range 6mm bullet is the 80 grain Sierra Blitz. However, my rifle has a 1 in 12 twist.

My next choice would be the 80 grain Ballistic Tips.

R F

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
with a 1 in 8 twist.....

"Rifle has a 1 in 7 twist to it"

What is the twist?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
quote:
with a 1 in 8 twist.....

"Rifle has a 1 in 7 twist to it"

What is the twist?

IN in 7, the ONE in 8 was a typo Savage, my apologies... homer

sea

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
My 6mm Rem has a 1 in 10 twist (same as a 243), 26" barrel. My most accurate load (out to 400 or so yards) is the 70g Sierra HPBTM. I am now experiementing with the 75g Varmint HP's because they are cheaper.

My rifle likes bullets just touching the lands with both of these bullets and 2-3g under max loads. If I back the bullets off the lands I can increase the powder charges 5-6g, but accuracy suffers.

I use 4064 powder currently, but I am starting to look at ball or short-cut powder. 4064 is hard to throw consistent loads.

70g bullet, 39.0g 4064. 75g bullet, 38.5g 4064.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Looking for anyone experienced using a 6mm Rem for long range shooting, at 600 yds or so. Bullet candidates currrently are 75 grain Hornady HP, 75 grain V Max, 87 grain V Max, 105 grain AMax, 80 grain Nosler Ballstic Tip, 90 grain BT, and 95 grain BT, 85 grain Sierra HP, 90 grain Speer SP....Rifle has a 1 in 7 twist to it with a 28 inch heavy barreled varmint weight...

Scope is going to be a New Nikon, 6 to 18....

suggestions appreciated!

cheers and good shooting
seafire
thumb

When I asked Walt Berger the same question, he said the 95VLD, a little expensive for PDogs, but for longrange, they'll do the trick. Of the bullets you mentioned, the 105AMAX would get the nod over a load of RE19. I've tried alot of the bullets you mentioned and while they group nice @100yds. they don't do as well past 300yds. or out to 300 anyway, High BC bullets are your best bet. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
First 6 Rem was a 40X with a 1 in 12 and it would shoot up to 90 Berger HP's, but I had to have the big bullet's for beyond 1,000 yards, so off came the 27 1/2 inch and on went the 28" 1 in 8 twist and now I throw the 107'Sierra's and 105's by Hornady and Lapua. HOWEVER, performance on Pdogs is best with the 70 Nosler BT's and 75 Hornady V-Max's! This is out to 700 yards or so. Their speed, wind resistance and accuracy make it a fun time. I was frankly amazed as I believed that the heavy bullet would be the better performer... Live and learn. I also guess it could be said that whatever bullet you choose, fun will be the order of the day. Best to the boy, now a man.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've gone to 600yds with the Berger 95vld and 71MEF over the top of Varget. The 71 MEF was just as accurate and I believe more explosive on impact. The VLD has a very long OAL when seated to touch the lands in my rifle.

Stevo

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried 70 Nosler BT , 75 and 87 V Max and 95 Berger VLD in my 9 twist .243 Ackley and wasn't impressed with accuracy of any of them . The 80 gn Berger puts 5 shots into 0.325 with 45.5 gns of AR 2209 (H4350) in Winchester case with Federal GM primer .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I've shot the 90 Bergers and 105 A-Max's out to 1000 on KD ranges and really like the Hornady. It's a pretty frangible pill, too. And cheap!

I mollied mine, loaded LONG over charges of 4350 and got almost 3300 out of a 28" tube. Oughta work, huh?

HTH

Redial

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I don't have a 6mm of any sort <yet> but I'd have to vote for the A-max's. Hard to argue with the combination of high BC, moly-coat availability, dead-on accuracy + consistency, and the polymer tip should make them sufficiently frangible for varmints.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I favor the Sierra 70gr. HPBT for accuracy work in both the .243Win. and the 6mm Rem. I also use them on woodchuck. Last year I also started using the Hornady 95gr. SST. It's quite good for long range work. I use it with Rel-19, 42.0grs. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought Nosler only made the 100 gr and 120 gr ballistic tips ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[Sorry I stuffed up...................I was thinking 6.5 cal Red Face

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah PC, but the sentiment was alright!

I would like to see a 120 grain ballistic tip in 6mm!

I have loaded up the 115 grain bergers and seated them out to the rifles 30/06 magazine length... the rifle is throated to accept them.....

do those look wicked! Bullet is almost as long as the 6mm Rem case! A 120 grain ballistic tip in 6 mm would look and perform great!

I am sure it would be called hot, but never had any pressure problems....but I do 46 grains of Rl 19 with a 115 grain berger for an MV of 3250 in a 24 inch barrel....

I am looking to build another 6mm Rem on a Mauser action with a 28 inch bull barrel with the same one in 7 twist....That should be sweet when it is done!

cheers and good shooting
seafire
thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
If u're looking for BC the highest BC pure varmint bullet made is the 87 V-Max @ .4. Be fun to see how that 1 works out.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote