THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    A steel washer over the forward action bolt ...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A steel washer over the forward action bolt ...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it "Remington normal" to have a steel washer around the forward action bolt - between the action and the stock?

Disassembled my Rem700 VLS-SA to change triggers last night and saw it. It's bent to sit flush.

TIA

Mike TBC

-

[ 08-10-2003, 06:37: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

<DuaneinND>
posted
Did you buy the rifle new? I can't say I have ever seen one before.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

No, bought it used. (100 rounds)

I've read recently that Remington puts that in there to "keep the magazine from binding".

And ... removing it will also cause accuracy problems.

TBC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington's answer to pilar bedding. [Smile] I would say the previous owner done it.

Posts: 516 | Location: Ar. | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My son just bought one of those rifles and had me adjust the trigger and glass bed it. No washer. Sorry.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wood around the area of the washer looks a bit porous,maybe it was an attempt to prevent the screw from digging in? derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Remington does not place a washer under the action of their rifles. It is certain the prvious owner placed the washer under the action to float the barrel instead of doing the job properly. The action should not have any gaps under it and fit snug in the stock, bedding the action will solve that problem. Now that the wood is compressed where the washer was you will need to glass bed the action. Remington rifles with sporter weight barrels come from the factory with a barrel pad that puts upward pressure on the barrel. That barrel pad is about 1 1/2" from the forend of the stock. If you run your finger down the barrel channel you can feel the rise when you reach it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, reloader, I bought a model 700 adl in .270 many years ago, NIB, that had a washer exactly like the one shown. If the washer hadn't been there, the action would have been put in a helluva bind when the screws were tightened down. I wisht I could tell you how it shot with and without the washer but I glass bedded it before shooting it. I did not glass the washer in. It was tossed.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
Many of the New Remingtons, Sakos, and some others will come with washers between the floor plate assembly and the stock as a spacer, either to keep the mag box from binding or the guard screws from being too long. But, as I said earlier I have never had a washer under the action like your picture- Does the receiver "rock" or lift while tightening things down- if not the washer could be an accuracy aid, but if it does the washer is more than likely a detriment to accuracy.