New
Find
Notify
Tools

standard weight varmit rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What happens if one spends the money for a custom target gun maker to build a 7 1/2 pound rifle, with lets say mickmillin ultra light stock, number 3 barrel and seiko action?,, 6mm br, with twist to be compatable with 87 grain vmax, and that size bullets.. Possible 1/9 twist so it would also shoot some longer bullets.. Will the accuracy be totally degraded to factory rifles, or will 3 shots be where they should be with an expensive gun? .. dave.

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you are asking for a subjective answer to an objective question. Is the gun going to shoot?? who knows until you try

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A properly built sporter weight varmint rifle should shoot very well, but will not be as good for sustained shooting as the barrel will heat up faster. I have a 22-250 with a Shilen #2 barrel and it shoots 3 shot groups consistently under 3/4" at 100 yards and always kills chucks and prairie dogs out to 400 yards if I do my part.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats what I'm trying to build. Stiller Pred action with a ADL McMillian Edge stock. Barlien #2 barrel in .223. I'm looking to get 1/2 inch accuracy out of it. Light barrels can shoot very very well but as they heat up they walk. However I'm not going doggin' out in Wyoming so unless the coyotes get thick enough here in Kentucky to make my barrel heat up why haul around all that extra iron?

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Save time! Buy a Savage 25 Wink

Posts: 117 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to sound negative, but you really dpn't need to spend that kind of money to find a i/2 incher in 223 now days.
I have several factory stock rifles that with just the slightest effort at the loading bench shoot that tight any day of the week.

So as CC says save time and money..

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornI have no feel for the Savage 25 but their 12BVSS-S will do the job but it is a little heavey. The Stevens 200, if you are as lucky as I was, can also do it and it is super light. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may be off topic a little, but I bought
a 25-06 Ruger M77 RS sporter barrel about 20
years ago... It shot very bad 1 + 1/2 is
the best I could do with factory ammo....
I bought a book on rifle accuriticy...
long story short. had to do some filing
lapping, polishing, special prep, and had to
go to hand loading....BTW that's what started
me hand loading my own ammo.....
Final product could shoot inside a dime all
day long at 100 yrds.
I cleaned rifle after each shot and let it
set and cool for 30 mins......head shots on
ground hogs at 250 yrds on windless days are
a given. never shot anything with this rifle
that wasn't dead on and a quick clean kill.
hope this helps some....

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
FFFFg (Frizzen pan powder), I find your question interesting but butchloc is right, “you are asking for a subjective answer to an objective question.”

Subjective is the same as imaginary.

Objective is the same as “actual” in this discussion.

There is no real answer to your question.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Standard definition of a "Varmint Rifle" is a heavy barreled rifle with a high magnification scope. Sustained accuracy in the 1/2moa range out to a quarter mile.
Hillbilly definition of a "Varmit Riffle" is anything that will kill a groundhog at 100 yds.

I shot fifteen or twenty a year with my old Buhmiller 460 Magnum and 400gr Speer 45-70 bullets hollowpointed 350gr bullets. Out to 300yds it worked and had a 100% one-shot kills record.

I think you are discussing a stalking rifle in a small(er) caliber, eh?

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
you are asking for a subjective answer to an objective question. Is the gun going to shoot?? who knows until you try
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
FFFFg (Frizzen pan powder), I find your question interesting but butchloc is right, “you are asking for a subjective answer to an objective question.”

Subjective is the same as imaginary.

Objective is the same as “actual” in this discussion.

There is no real answer to your question.
These guys have nailed it perfectly. Indulge me for a bit.

This reminds me of a story a friend was telling me a few years ago. He builds custom AR’s and has for 15+ years. One of his “acquaintances” asked him to build a no holds barred AR. This guy wanted the best (read—most expensive) parts only, no posers need apply. My friend explained that it was not really necessary to spend $2500 on a good shooting AR. He explained this over and over, but the guys mind was made up.
A fool and his money… Wink

His acquaintance proceeded to purchase milled receivers, a special $900 Krieger barrel, trick hand guards, some fancy $300 adjustable trigger, misc. titanium parts, a $1200 scope and etc. etc… The pieces were assembled (my friend has built dozens of AR’s and owns over thirty himself) and the owner was very pleased with the rifle.

When the day came to test out this testament to excess, my friend brought along his then $600 20” ER Shaw barreled AR carbine (he purchased as a Varmint “kit” from Model 1 Sales) with a $250 Nikon scope as a control for the ammo he loaded. It shoots VERY WELL.

After breaking in the new Krieger barrel and shooting some groups the high dollar rifle was performing pretty well, less than ½ MOA groups at 225 yards, which is the furthest he can shoot on his property. He then got out his control rifle to double-check the groups (and to show off a little I suspect).

His El Cheapo rifle then proceeded to kick the snot outta that $3700 AR. After several groups half the size of the “new” high dollar rifle, the customer asked in a rather condescending tone, “How much did that rifle cost?”
My friend replied, “Your BARREL cost more than my rifle AND scope.”

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote