New
Find
Notify
Tools

homeade e-caller
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I made a homeade e-caller using plans I found on another sight, My question is , the only speaker my local radio shack had was a 5000hz response, will this speaker be loud enough or should I go ahead and order a diffrent one.
Thanks, JT

Posts: 28 | Location: bedford, pa | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built one of the callers you are refering to, I think,,,
I used the horn that is rated at 10,000Hz and it seems to work great. If you are worried about it you can always go on radio shack's web site and order the one like the plan calls for, and have the little brown truck deliver it.

By the way, you can also use the mini-amp the plans call for without the horn for close range calls.

Cheers,
MaBell

Posts: 79 | Location: Colorado (out in the sticks) | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah: Animals of course can hear much higher frequencies than we can, well above the 20-22 KHz or so that a healthy young child who hasn't damaged his ears with loud noises can hear, but those high frequencies don't travel far in air.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
JT, that just means 5 KHz is the highest frequency that speaker'll put out at some arbitrary "rolloff" level, likely -3 dB. Higher frequencies get progressively quieter. For the record, 5 KHz is the highest frequency allowed to be played on AM radio. So far as how loud, you'll just have to try it and see. The 5 KHz rolloff doesn't have anything to do with that for sounds in the usual human hearing range, and it covers some pretty high squeaks. Guitar amp speakers seldom are rated for much higher frequencies than that. The wattage rating of your amp and speaker are important, of course. Speakers can blow if they're not up to the amp's power.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. How well do these work? Anybody use one with success?