New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle rests
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What's your preferred rifle rest? Also any thoughts on bull bags (Uncle Bud's, etc.)? Looking for quality but not something that costs close to what a rifle goes for....

Regards,
Travis

Posts: 41 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Hart varmint front rest. It's heavy, but it's supposed to be. It has an adjustable projecting pin in each of the three legs to give it even more stability. I use a Sinclair adjustable top. It has screws that allow you to tighten the bag against the sides of your rifle. It also has a front end stop that you can line your forend against if you desire. Look around a few gunshows and you can probably pick up a good unit fairly cheaply. New, such a set up would run you about $175. Your best bet is to send away for a Sinclair Int'l catalog, or visit their online site at www.sinclairintl.com. You can also check out Hart's at www.rwhart.com. If they seem expensive, remember they'll outlast you and your children. The only other thing you'll absolutely need is a good rear bag. The same two websites mentioned will have them. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Travis,

My two cents.

I had a Bench Model (15.5") Bull Bag that crowded my Rem 700 trigger guard and interfered with bolt operation. Taking off the Harris Bipod wasn't an option for me, so I sold the BB and went with a traditional front rest and a rear rabbit bag.

I like to squeeze that rear bag with my off hand and am much more comfortable with it.

Now, the Field Model Bull Bag is about 6 inches shorter and probably would've been a better original choice for me, but ... I'm liking the front rest/bag pictured below.

It's a $65 Hoppes that I painted. Not many like it, but it's done fine for me. (It's a Yugo to the Sinclair / Hart Lexus) [Big Grin]

I may buy a "good" front rest later. Seems I'm shooting more from the bench than in the killing fields, these days.

Mike TBC

-
 -
 -

[ 08-09-2003, 14:04: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's what mine looks like. And I love it.
I shoot magnum .30 cals, and this thing is a dream!!
Jim is a fine fella to deal with too.
No kick, no barrel whip, just a accurate shooting platform, that is great for load development.
No more, "Was it me or the rifle?"..sakofan..
http://www.nationalmatchriflerests.com/productdetail.asp?id=4
Could be used for varmint hunting as well, as it has elevation and windage adjustments.
Everybody that has seen this rig, has loved it!!

[ 08-09-2003, 13:44: Message edited by: sakofan ]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stop off at one of the eternal car port sales in your neighborhood and buy some KIDS blue jeans. Sew them up into bags and fill them with sand, rice, whole kernal corn, whatever. The lady that sewed mine up made carrying loops on one end. If you want something that's adjustable, get a small auto bottle jack and weld a u shaped piece of flat stock to the top of the jack. Put a sand bag on top of that and you a lo tech rest. That Hoppe rest ain't bad if you want to go hi tech. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Travis,

This one looks interesting. Caldwell - $64.00 w/o bag at MidSouth.

HTH

TBC

-

one of us
Picture of 264winmag
posted Hide Post
The rock.Thats what I've got.For me its fine.Protecktor rear bag and two diffrent size front bags.

Posts: 56 | Location: parts unknown | Registered: 22 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is exactly the same as the Caldwell shown above, but with Winchester on it. My observations - much better than the Hoppe's for not much more, not as nice as a Hart or Sinclair but not nearly as expensive - with 2 different size front bags (sporter and varminter) and a rear bag and a big bag of terrarium sand, I spent about $120. It works fine for me for now. I may spring for a Sinclair later down the road - it looks so nice it would have to make me shoot better [Big Grin] .

Posts: 178 | Location: Pearland, TX | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto TXRam, but mine says Midway on it. Agree it's not as good as the Sinclair, but it does just fine. I think you would be happy with it.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also take a look at the Wichita Arms Rest at Midway. Cast Iron amd Steel Vs Aluminum in the Caldwell. More money but a much stouter rest. Will last a lifetime if not abused. I love mine; rock solid.

[ 08-26-2003, 09:00: Message edited by: Old & Slow ]

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Here is the one formerly sold by Sinclair.

I've had it about five years now, and I like it a lot.

D. [Smile]

-

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
I used a trapazoid shaped sand filled canvas bag for about 35 years and it finally is worn to where it leaks sand some. So I ordered a Caldwell bag of similar shape from Midway. The Caldwell bag is not as heavy. I hear it's filled with corn cob. The rifles shot well with the Caldwell bag for about two trips to the range and then the handle ripped off due to inferior stitching. I had my shoe maker sew the handle back on but now it tore on the top from the rifles recoil. That bag is now wrapped with duct tape which sticks to the rifle. I am going to the dump today and that bag is history.

So I ordered a Sinclair rest. The front bag that came with it is so thin that the rifle stock hits the edges of the metal support. I have to find out what other bags I can put on this rest but now $240 is gone. At least it looks cool at the range.

There has to be something better and less expensive than what I have.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage 99:

So I ordered a Sinclair rest. The front bag that came with it is so thin that the rifle stock hits the edges of the metal support.

There has to be something better and less expensive than what I have.

Sinclair also offers this style of front bag with their rests. Is this the style you have? It might work better for your use.

-

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
An interesting variation I've seen is to use something like the bullbag for the forend, and a good rear bag for the butt. When I first saw this, I thought it looked strange. Tried it myself and found that, with heavy recoiling rifle, it worked better than the pedestal rest that I use for my varmint rifles. [Wink]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have an old Hart that I bought about 30 years ago and I recently purchased a Sinclair. The Hart is a bit lighter but I'm happy with both of them and would highly recommend either.

Posts: 1974 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UNCLE BUD'S Bull Bags
UNCLE BUD has a very stable 25 pound [when filled with sand] bag, that encases the gun. for about $50.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased the Bald Eagle GEN II and coudn't be happier. Very adjustable,..very precise.

Buy it once,...buy it right,..and don't look back.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
The Sinclair Rests don't come with a bag so if you ordered the wrong one------OH WELL

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Wichita, cast iron, that has served me well for around 35 years or so, and a 3 compartment rabbit ear for the rear.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote